X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pedro
    • Jan 2006

Classe or Jeff Rowland?

Hello Folks, how´re doing today all right?

I´ve recentely bought the 804S now i´m searching and listening some amps that could sound great with them. I´ve auditioned Krell KAV280p+KAV2250, and the result wasnt musical, had great bass but lacked musicality, and some minutes after i guess 30 mins, it became some fatiguiting in some speacialy in some songs. Now i´m searching to listening this 2 options:

Classe CP500 + CA2200
    Jeff Rowland Concerto + 2X Model 201

How sounds each one, or what is the sonic diference of each one? Wich of both have better bass and deep bass?

Thanks in advance :T

Pedro
    • Nov 2005

HI Pedro,
    Interesting your Krell reactions. I have the exact same set up on my B&W 805S's except I have the 3250 which is the 3 channel version of the 2250. I started with the 2250 then graduated to the 3250. I found them to sound identical. I don't find hasrshness or fatigue at all. I am very sensitive to these issues since this is the first non-tube system I have had in over 20 years. Tubes, as you must know, have a great reputation for "musicality" whatever that means.

I really hate the term musicality. Reason - it has no commonly accepted meaning. Thus, I don't know what YOU mean. Sometimes the term is used to imply rolled off high frequencies. Could you explain in detail how you define the term and how you found the Krell's lacking?

Generally, the objective of the designer of SS equipment is to reproduce any possible mid to high frequency information without a hint of harshness and grain. This is the first order goal and is difficult. Most SS amps can't pull it off. Witness Rotel, for example. Voicing the amp is the second order goal and this can vary from one designer to the next.

Using tweeters as good as those found in the B&W 800 series is an extreme test. These are extremely honest but when fed a good signal, they are wonderful. I find them wonderful with the Krell's.

My only real complaint about the Krell's is a slight lack of resolution-and it is slight. Compared to my Audio Research tube equipment in my main system, all SS stuff suffers from resolution problems, even the best of the breed. So I can't hold this against Krell. Rather, the problem is the SS technology itself. You will find Roland to sound different from most other SS amps becuase of thier use of FET power transistors which have a distinctive sound. I like Roland but prefer the sound of bi-polar transistors. This is matter of the tastes of the listener because Roland is certainly excellent but different.

Could it have been the source component? Were you too quick to judge?

Sparky

Comment

• Pedro
      • Jan 2006

Hello Sparky,

About the Krell audition, the sound wasn´t harsh, could be little bright, but was something hard listening. Unfortunelly i had to heard in a room of a friend just because i´m starting to build my own. The source equip. was a Sacd Standard Krell, and the songs were Judas Priest, I´m metal maniac

But i still have my doubts if the room of this guy wasnt good for 804S just because he uses another types of speakers, or if it´s because i´ve opened so much the volume knob (at 65/70 in KAV280p).

Anyway, I want to listening the other options to get blown away.

Comment

• hifiguymi
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2007

Pedro,

I don't have experience with the Jeff Rowland gear (I hear it's very good), but if you didn't like the Krell you probably will like the Classe. I have a customer that had a pair of 804S's and a KAV400xi and it wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. He has upgraded to a CA-2200, using the KAV400xi as a preamp (with a CP-700 to come soon), and a pair of 803D's, and the Classe is much better. It's far easier to listen to for long periods of time and has a much better soundstage. It's wider and deeper with better attack in the bass. The KAV Series from Krell is not the best match for B&W speakers in my experience. I was a Krell dealer until about six months ago and now I'm a Classe dealer (I also sold Classe at a different dealer for 7 or 8 years before). The Classe line up is a much better match with B&W speakers.

Eric

Comment

• worldys
          • Dec 2005

i have had both the delta 2200 and rowland 501s hooked up to my n802s, the rowland were very well balanced and i would definitely recommend them if someone didn't have a lot of space for a big heavy amp, but if space is not an issue the 2200 wins in my opinion, it had a really engaging midrange, you just wanted to keep listening

Comment

• Pedro
            • Jan 2006

Between Classe CP500+CA2200 and Jeff Rowland Concerto Pre+Model 201, what do you think is the best option for Rock (heavy songs)?

Comment

• LikeCoiledSteel
              • May 2004

Hi Pedro,
              I have to ask you if the 804S was broken in when you auditioned them? They need close to 200 hours to really open up. I have used my Krell amps with B&W's and I liked the results. Krell really controls the speakers very well. See if there is a Classe dealer that will lend you an amp for a week and give it a try.
              Steel

Comment

• akhter
                • Jun 2005

I have heard both, and I have to say I was quite surprised with the Jeff Rowland gear (I heard it with 803D and Classe with 802D). Sure its not a fair comparison, but the Jeff Rowland has very pleasing sound and I believe cheaper (and hell of a lot easier to transport ) than the Classe combo, right?

Comment

• moonlightdrive21
                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Pedro
                  Between Classe CP500+CA2200 and Jeff Rowland Concerto Pre+Model 201, what do you think is the best option for Rock (heavy songs)?
                  While I can't comment on how they compare, I would like to mention that I listen to a lot of heavy rock and the Classe 200 watt delta amps are amazing with B&W speakers for this kind of music.

I own the Classe 3200 (paired with B&W 802D's) and compared it with MacIntosh amps (Classe has better bass and resolution than Mac to my ears) and am extermely happy with how well they do with hard rock. Bass is killer, mid range gives you extremely transparent instruments, tweeter is the best I have ever heard thanks to the Diamond Tweeter/Classe combination. I listen to lots of hard rock, plus classical, jazz and blues. Good luck!!

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                    • Apr 2005

Originally posted by akhter
                    I have heard both, and I have to say I was quite surprised with the Jeff Rowland gear (I heard it with 803D and Classe with 802D). Sure its not a fair comparison, but the Jeff Rowland has very pleasing sound and I believe cheaper (and hell of a lot easier to transport ) than the Classe combo, right?
                    Don't do a sweep on those Rowland amps... 8O -10dB at 17K (Yikes...!!!) you won't like what you see....

Comment

• d"cure"
                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Pedro
                      Hello Folks, how´re doing today all right?

I´ve recentely bought the 804S now i´m searching and listening some amps that could sound great with them. I´ve auditioned Krell KAV280p+KAV2250, and the result wasnt musical, had great bass but lacked musicality, and some minutes after i guess 30 mins, it became some fatiguiting in some speacialy in some songs. Now i´m searching to listening this 2 options:

Classe CP500 + CA2200
                      Jeff Rowland Concerto + 2X Model 201

How sounds each one, or what is the sonic diference of each one? Wich of both have better bass and deep bass?

Thanks in advance :T

Pedro
                      i think classe is the better choice for what you looking for and of course the build is like a tank

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Oct 2003

Hi,

I have heard both.... And I like the Classe better (as it should be the for the price). All the Jeff Rowland Amps I've heard seem to achieve their "valve like" sound by rollng off the trebble at an alarming degree. Creates this smooth house sound (really nice on some pieces like vocals) but IMO the high end is just not natural.... Some like it though as on speakers like the older 800 series or the curent 703s or some of the Klipch References the rolled off treble can complement and reduce any slightly agressive characteristics the speaker may have.

Geoff

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"