X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SRT-10 Viper
    • Mar 2005

Classe or Krell exchange?

I have 800D fronts with N802 rear speakers, HTM2D center, and Velodyne DD12. For 5.1 HT, I have a Denon 5805 (now changing Denon for an Anthem D1 and Krell TAS 5X200W), Clasee CAM/350s amp for front 2 channels. For 2Ch preamp, I have a Classe CP-500 that has HT pass thru.

I have a chance to trade my Classe CAM/350s for Krell MCX 350s. This would cost about $2500 plus the CAMS. Should I stick with the CAMS or move to the Krells? I can't listen to them since this is an Audiogon remote transaction.
  • Indytown
    • Apr 2005

sounds like your doing the right thing in have all the channels driven by one amp mfg.- same sonic signature, especially having those 802's as rear side.

What are you gaining with the Krell?

Is it a newer model than the older CAM's you have?

What are you looking for, more definition in the bass area, better top end air?

Indy

Comment

• krellfan
      • Jul 2005

I would go with the 350 MCX. The Classe is a very nice amp but the 350 MCX will sound slightly better in the low end and overall a little more dynamic. I have three 350 MCX in my setup.

Comment

• SRT-10 Viper
        • Mar 2005

I hear the Krells have more punch and better/tighter bass.... I like the detail of the classe but it doesn't have the speed and punch like I hear about the Krells.

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

I was thinking about the TAS 5x200 but went with 2 Krell Amps 2250 and the 3250 for the 5 channels at 250W per. I am very happy with the sound and driving the 802D's with the 2250. I was thinking one 300CX for the front channels, but your idea of 2 x 350MCX sounds awesome ! That will do the trick for those 800's.

I personally would stick with the same Brand either all Krell or Classe.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

The room is a bigger variable than the difference between these amps.

Krell are tight, dry, and a bit sterile for my tastes. Classe' are a bit 'richer' and more full-bodied.

I can't comment about the 'speed' of any amp since electrons are moving through all of them equally fast...

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

Working...
            Searching...Please wait.
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
            There are no results that meet this criteria.
            Search Result for "|||"