Do speakers sound better with integrated amp over a really really good AVR?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SF_VR6
    • Apr 2007

In this case for example, will the B&W CM7s sound just as good on a really good AVR (Marantz SR7001) or will they sound even better with a dedicated amps such as a really good Krell?

I will only be pushing 3.1 sound for now (5.1 in the future)

What are your thoughts on this? :T
  • dmccombs
    • Sep 2006

Generally, an good Integrated Amp will provide better sound than a good AVR. There is less things in an Int Amp to mess up the sound. The amps in a good Int Amp like a Krell are generally better than those in a good AVR. The key word is "generally".

I have a Krell 300il I am about to sell now. Over the last year, I got to do several A/B tests between it and my Denon 3806 which is a good AVR. The Krell sound quality blew the AVR away. The Krell was cleaner, more detailed, and had a lot more low end umphh.

You mention you will be doing 3.1 sound. How will you do this with an Integrated Amp. They are all 2 CH, no?

Regards,
    Darrell

Comment

• WI Rotel
      • Jul 2006

Originally posted by SF_VR6

In this case for example, will the B&W CM7s sound just as good on a really good AVR (Marantz SR7001) or will they sound even better with a dedicated amps such as a really good Krell?

I will only be pushing 3.1 sound for now (5.1 in the future)

What are your thoughts on this? :T
      Depends..... on what you are comparing, some integrated amps are actually wimpier than some recievers. Always is a strong term, specially when talking about integrated amps. The problem you run into recievers is space, there is only so much space available in a given box. If you take a large power amp like an RMB 1095 its a huge box that weighs 75lbs! But it does provide true 200wts X5 from 20-20k hz. The weakness of the one box solution is that due to space constrictions you can't fit massive power supplies that are needed for the ultimate in sound reproduction. Even with class D amplifiers which are much more space efficient you run out of space very quickly. The RMB 1077 although much lighter than the 1095 can only muster half of the rated output the much more powerfull class D 1092 will only do 2 channels. Furthermore it is pretty much a given that class D amplifiers offer slightly less fidelity than regular non switching amps.

Comment

• dmccombs
        • Sep 2006

WI,

Those are seperate amps, not Integrated amps, correct?

Comment

• WI Rotel
          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by dmccombs
          WI,

Those are seperate amps, not Integrated amps, correct?
          That is correct. If you're thinking of separates forgo an integrated and go with a dedicated power amp. I've always thought that the logic behind Adcom's preamp-tuner with a separate power amp was very smart. However no other manufcturer I know off has imitated it. Thus if you are an FM fan and are set on a decent power amp you end up having to buy a third box for the tuner. :roll:

Comment

• SF_VR6
            • Apr 2007

You mention you will be doing 3.1 sound. How will you do this with an Integrated Amp. They are all 2 CH, no?
            In my case, I am actually going with an AVR. I'm not familiar with Amps yet.

Comment

• WI Rotel
              • Jul 2006

Originally posted by SF_VR6
              In my case, I am actually going with an AVR. I'm not familiar with Amps yet.
              Denon makes some decent ones, rotel also has a good one. Receivers are obviously very convenient and the best ones do sound quite good. As long as the speakers are not too inefficient a good receiver can be a good choice.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                Super Senior Member
                • Mar 2005

Originally posted by WI Rotel
                That is correct. If you're thinking of separates forgo an integrated and go with a dedicated power amp. I've always thought that the logic behind Adcom's preamp-tuner with a separate power amp was very smart. However no other manufcturer I know off has imitated it. Thus if you are an FM fan and are set on a decent power amp you end up having to buy a third box for the tuner. :roll:
                1977 - Nakamichi 600 series. 1 have the 630 pre-amp tuner (not hooked up) and the 620 power amp. Just when you think something is original hey. h:
                Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Briz vegas
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

I have a Krell 300il I am about to sell now. Over the last year, I got to do several A/B tests between it and my Denon 3806 which is a good AVR. The Krell sound quality blew the AVR away.
                  I know a guy (who occasionally reads this forum, hows it going mate !) who is about to demo a second hand 300r tonight with his ML Aeon I system. It will be interesting to see how this receiver performs compared to Denons top of the line AVR (which he owns) and his 350w power amp (which decided it was not worthy of his system or this world and went terminal on him)
                  Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                  Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• WI Rotel
                    • Jul 2006

:T
                    Originally posted by Briz vegas
                    1977 - Nakamichi 600 series. 1 have the 630 pre-amp tuner (not hooked up) and the 620 power amp. Just when you think something is original hey. h:
                    I was at the Mcintosh site yesterday and they do too!

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"