X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Glenee
    • Aug 2006

Order of Assembly

I have tried to figure out this order for years. Where should a person concentrate there order of assembly of a system. In what order are the most important pieces of equipment. (NOT ROOM TREATMENTS) I think this is the order.
    1.Speakers
    2. PreAmp/Processor
    3. Amps
    4. Sources (i.e. CDP,Turntables,Tape decks,DVD)
    5. Cables (i.e. interconnects, speaker cable, connectors)
    6. Sound processing(i.e. Equalizers)
    Down the Road
    7. Money and Spouse
    8. Sense
    What do you Think?
    Glenee
  • Joey_V
    • Jul 2005

1. Speakers
    2. Source
    3. Preamp or Amp
    4. Spouse
    5. Money
    6. Sense
    7. Food
    Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
    Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
    System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• twitch54
      • Apr 2006

Originally posted by Joey_V
      1. Speakers
      2. Source
      3. Preamp or Amp
      4. Spouse
      5. Money
      6. Sense
      7. Food

For someone who ate Ramen for a year I would have thought "food" would be higher on your list !!
      Dave

Comment

• KRC
        • Aug 2004

The first and most money should be spent on your source. Next is how you are going to amplify the system, you mention that you were looking at a pro and separate amp which means you will be spending some money on a desent product. Lastly, are the speakers which are the most forgiving. If you have a great source and good amplification and a well rounded speaker even if lower priced you will get good sound. Do not forget about cabling, it makes a huge difference, but do not put your money here to start, this is an easy are to upgrade.

Kevin

Comment

• Joey_V
          • Jul 2005

Originally posted by twitch54
          For someone who ate Ramen for a year I would have thought "food" would be higher on your list !!
          If food were higher, Dave, I wouldn't have subjected myself to Ramen! LOL!!

Joey :T :rofl:
          Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
          Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
          System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• Briz vegas
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Avoiding the room- which you can improve with a blanket over an ironing board leaning in corners or a thick curtain strategically placed, my order was -

cats
            speakers
            preamp
            source
            cables
            power amp
            snake oil

I am still at the cables stage. This was done by trial and error. I bought the best speakers I could almost afford then tried various gear but only purchased the stuff when I heard a significant improvement. Cables may have made a difference earlier but I was a skeptic so it took me a while to get into them. I put preamp infront of source only because I could not hear the improvement from the source until I relieved the bottleneck created by my receiver.
            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• bigburner
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

What about high quality power cords and risers to keep your speaker cables off the carpet? Both are critical.

Comment

• Eliav
                • Jul 2005

For me, that falls into the snake oil part. :W
                Eliav
                :T Socrat

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"