X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

6th Order L-R. I find it to be an easy to hit slope

Lately, I've found out I can easily hit 6th order L-R, quite easier than I can get to 4th order...

I mean - 4th order is doable, but using a couple more pieces, 6th order looks a lot flatter and easier to work with.

The topology is quite simple. It's a third order electrical and a conjugate, on both woofer and tweeter. I have to invert the polarity of the tweeter. That's it. I get very good phase tracking and an almost perfect response.

My question is - why is it that I don't see it mentioned too often? Is this topology somehow wrong? Has anyone else used it before? Opinions?
    Javier Huerta
  • JonMarsh
    Mad Max Moderator
    • Aug 2000

This always depends on the acoustical roll off of the drivers, and what electrical filter you have to combine with the drivers to get a net acoustic target transfer function.

Just becuase something isn't widely used, is not a reason to not investigate it- most often it may be becuase of cost reasons.

For example, in many commercial speakers, drivers are used as close as possible to their bandwidth limits, so an LR-4 may be realized with only a 2nd order electrical. This keeps costs down- but doesn't provide very much power reduction to the driver, and is using it in a range where it doesn't function very well- sound commerical practice, I suppose, but perhaps not the best audio practice. I'm sure arguements could be made both ways.

In the case of the Modula MTMs and some other designs I do, a CE filter is used to realize an 8th order LR for the first 50 dB of attenuation. I also experimented with only using a 6th order, but the component count was the same, and it doesn't offer the same protection to the drivers. But that doesn't mean it's not usable in a given application.

With what you describe, combining a 3rd order electrical with drivers, I'm inclined to question why/how you are using drivers in the transistion band when there own roll off is greater than 12 dB/octave? Or are you acually using the conjugate network not just for impedance flattening, but also to add some roll off? The latter sounds likely, based on my understanding of filter topologies.
    the AudioWorx
    Natalie P
    M8ta
    Modula Neo DCC
    Modula MT XE
    Modula Xtreme
    Isiris
    Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
    Minerva Monitor
    Calliope
    Ardent D

In Development...
    Isiris Mk II updates- in final test stage!
    Obi-Wan
    Saint-Saƫns Symphonique/AKA SMJ-40
    Modula PWB
    Calliope CC Supreme
    Natalie P Ultra
    Natalie P Supreme
    Janus BP1 Sub

Resistance is not futile, it is Volts divided by Amperes...
    Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• nerd of nerds
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by JonMarsh
      This always depends on the acoustical roll off of the drivers, and what electrical filter you have to combine with the drivers to get a net acoustic target transfer function.

Just becuase something isn't widely used, is not a reason to not investigate it- most often it may be becuase of cost reasons.

For example, in many commercial speakers, drivers are used as close as possible to their bandwidth limits, so an LR-4 may be realized with only a 2nd order electrical. This keeps costs down- but doesn't provide very much power reduction to the driver, and is using it in a range where it doesn't function very well- sound commerical practice, I suppose, but perhaps not the best audio practice. I'm sure arguements could be made both ways.

In the case of the Modula MTMs and some other designs I do, a CE filter is used to realize an 8th order LR for the first 50 dB of attenuation. I also experimented with only using a 6th order, but the component count was the same, and it doesn't offer the same protection to the drivers. But that doesn't mean it's not usable in a given application.

With what you describe, combining a 3rd order electrical with drivers, I'm inclined to question why/how you are using drivers in the transistion band when there own roll off is greater than 12 dB/octave? Or are you acually using the conjugate network not just for impedance flattening, but also to add some roll off? The latter sounds likely, based on my understanding of filter topologies.

Do you have any reading or articles you could recomend for CE filters? i'm very curious about them (haven't designed an xo yet, but still would like to read about them for future projects).

Comment

• Dennis H
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Aug 2002

LR6 is Dan Wiggins' favorite.

Comment

• JonMarsh
          Mad Max Moderator
          • Aug 2000

Originally posted by nerd of nerds
          Do you have any reading or articles you could recomend for CE filters? i'm very curious about them (haven't designed an xo yet, but still would like to read about them for future projects).
          Cauer-Elliptic filters are used more in communications applications than in audio-

Do a search in the Mission Possible and you'll come up with lots of discussion- the search function is your friend. I know of no book written describing CE filters for speaker crossovers. I first used CE filters in Audio for class D amplifiers in the late 80's.
          the AudioWorx
          Natalie P
          M8ta
          Modula Neo DCC
          Modula MT XE
          Modula Xtreme
          Isiris
          Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
          Minerva Monitor
          Calliope
          Ardent D

In Development...
          Obi-Wan
          Modula PWB
          Calliope CC Supreme
          Natalie P Ultra
          Natalie P Supreme
          Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• fjhuerta
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2006

Jon, the conjugate is used for helping roll-off a bit on the woofer.

I suppose that since I try and use low crossover points on the tweeter, I already have a 12 db/Oct or higher roll-off, so hitting 6th order is simple with a 3rd order electrical. I use the CR there for a bit of high end EQ.

Thank you very much all for your info - I'll try to compare a 4th order and a 6th order on an upcoming project.
            Javier Huerta

Comment

• Jed
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Apr 2005

Originally posted by fjhuerta

Thank you very much all for your info - I'll try to compare a 4th order and a 6th order on an upcoming project.
              Please share, what are you working on?

Comment

• fjhuerta
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2006

It's an MTM tower. It used to have a Neo3 PDR and a pair of Focal 5N421 woofers.

I tried working with the Neo3's, but could never get any sort of useful measurement out of it. So I'll be modifying the baffle a bit, and will use the same Focal woofers with the titanium MB Quart tweeter from Madisound.

I don't know how low I can make the MB Quart work, so maybe a 6th order filter will help me get to 2 KHz, at least.
                Javier Huerta

Comment

• JonMarsh
                  Mad Max Moderator
                  • Aug 2000

The MB will be quite clean down to 2 kHz; the FR supports going lower, but the distortion performance doesn't.

Since the response of the tweeter goes somewhat low, getting a 6th order response without a lot of components may be hard- you might as well look at the CE design used in the Modula MTM (Missions Accomplished). OTOH, I'd think carefully about taking an MTM up to 2 kHz; classic theory says the CTC of the outside drivers with a 2 kHz crossover should be no more tha 7"; that would indicate the basket to basket distance on your 5's should be under 2"- the MB isn't that small. I susepct you'll wind up with a CTC more like 10", which would indicate no higher than 1400 Hz. With an LR8 equivalent CE like the Modula MTM, that should be doable. (the Modula MTM is at 1200Hz, using 7" midwoofers).

I'm talking about ideal conditions, of course.
                  the AudioWorx
                  Natalie P
                  M8ta
                  Modula Neo DCC
                  Modula MT XE
                  Modula Xtreme
                  Isiris
                  Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                  Minerva Monitor
                  Calliope
                  Ardent D

In Development...
                  Obi-Wan
                  Modula PWB
                  Calliope CC Supreme
                  Natalie P Ultra
                  Natalie P Supreme
                  Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• fjhuerta
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by JonMarsh
                    The MB will be quite clean down to 2 kHz; the FR supports going lower, but the distortion performance doesn't.

Since the response of the tweeter goes somewhat low, getting a 6th order response without a lot of components may be hard- you might as well look at the CE design used in the Modula MTM (Missions Accomplished). OTOH, I'd think carefully about taking an MTM up to 2 kHz; classic theory says the CTC of the outside drivers with a 2 kHz crossover should be no more tha 7"; that would indicate the basket to basket distance on your 5's should be under 2"- the MB isn't that small. I susepct you'll wind up with a CTC more like 10", which would indicate no higher than 1400 Hz. With an LR8 equivalent CE like the Modula MTM, that should be doable. (the Modula MTM is at 1200Hz, using 7" midwoofers).

I'm talking about ideal conditions, of course.
                    Hi Jon!

I've never worked with CE filters - this could be a good project to try them. Do you think the MB's can support such a low frequency using LR-8?
                    Javier Huerta

Comment

• JonMarsh
                      Mad Max Moderator
                      • Aug 2000

Yes, I do- Avalon originally ran them down to 1 kHz with just a LR-4 in the Eclipse loudspeaker. That was too low, IMO, but even so they sounded pretty good unless you pushed them. Linkwitz runs the Millenium Excel down to 1400 with an LR-4. The MB doesn't quite have that much Xmax, but you'd be surprised what it will do- it's just that the motor has a little more 2nd order non-linearity than we'd like by current standards for SOTA when you push it below 2 kHz. HD3 is a pretty good guide where to avoid pushing it- and here it's still pretty good when you consider that the big "bump" is just hitting -50.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MBSPLHD3.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	936324
                      Last edited by theSven; 07 May 2023, 09:01 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                      the AudioWorx
                      Natalie P
                      M8ta
                      Modula Neo DCC
                      Modula MT XE
                      Modula Xtreme
                      Isiris
                      Wavecor Ardent

SMJ
                      Minerva Monitor
                      Calliope
                      Ardent D

In Development...
                      Obi-Wan
                      Modula PWB
                      Calliope CC Supreme
                      Natalie P Ultra
                      Natalie P Supreme
                      Janus BP1 Sub

Just ask Mr. Ohm....

Comment

• fjhuerta
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jun 2006

Thanks a lot Jon! In a couple of weeks (when the cabinets are ready) I'll begin working on this project.
                        Javier Huerta

Comment

• fjhuerta
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jun 2006

Project complete!

Here's the project. L-R 6 beat out L-R 4 without a problem.

The drivers were:

Woofers: Focal 5N421
                          Tweeter: MB Quart

(MTM Configuration).

The woofers were a bit.. strange to work with. They could get pretty high without any roll-off, and the very slim size of the baffle meant I ended up with an extra 2 or 3 dB at around 1KHz.

Likewise, I decided to add a bit of a "BBC Dip" to the speakers, and optimize them for off-axis response (since I'd be using them in my living room, and people aren't always seated exactly in front of them).

Here's the FR. It has an upward slope so that

Name:	fr.gif
Views:	804
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	847943

the power response looks a bit flatter.

Name:	offaxis.gif
Views:	787
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	847945

Impedance means a tube amplifier wouldn't mean such a good idea, although it never drops below 4.5 Ohms, or so.

Name:	imp.gif
Views:	854
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	847944

Phase tracking at the x-over point (2KHz) is pretty much OK, I guess.

Name:	phase.gif
Views:	793
Size:	46.8 KB
ID:	847946

X-fer function is a bit strange. I had to give the tweeter a bit of a bump with a high Q to flatten its response. The only thing I can think of is that diffraction is the culprit here.

Name:	xfer.gif
Views:	1143
Size:	37.0 KB
ID:	847947
                          Last edited by theSven; 07 May 2023, 09:01 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                          Javier Huerta

Comment

• fjhuerta
                            Super Senior Member
                            • Jun 2006

The circuit is here.

Name:	circ.gif
Views:	891
Size:	36.2 KB
ID:	847948

And the finished speakers (bear in mind - this is a 3 year old cabinet, modified to accept the new drivers... so it doesn't look that good (well, it doesn't look as bad as the pics show, either!).

Name:	Sp1.JPG
Views:	827
Size:	50.1 KB
ID:	847949

Name:	Sp2.JPG
Views:	776
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	847950
                            Last edited by theSven; 07 May 2023, 08:58 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                            Javier Huerta

Comment

• fjhuerta
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jun 2006

Has it been 4 years already? wow.

I got the speakers back - they look exactly the same. I used to love their slim design, now, not so much. But still, I gave them a listen.

I suppose I've learned quite a bit since that time, so I'm planning to redo the crossover completely. It's going to be a fun and simple project, and I suppose, I'll learn from what I used to do wrong.

I do not like at all the transfer functions, or the impedance plot - that tells me I did something wrong. So that's where I'll start.

Why didn't I listen to Jon when he said I should have gone for something closer to 1.4 KHz?

Let's see what I can do... as I said, it's a great opportunity. These were my first DIY speakers, and it was pure luck that brought them back to me... for $0.
                              Javier Huerta

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jun 2006

Well, it's over. I finished the speaker...

6th order is pretty nice. I had forgotten all about the filter. I managed to take 3 or 4 pieces out of the original crossover, and saw that, during all these years, I've really learned to simplify things

The sound didn't change that much - well, it did open up a bit (I had used a non-calibrated mic when I built them). They aren't "audiophile" speakers - not to me, anyway, anymore... funny how things can change in 5 years!
                                Javier Huerta

Comment

• ---k---
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2005

That is cool that you go the opportunity to go back to a project after all these years. I wish I could hear the before and after.
                                  - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
                                  CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
                                  CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"