X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fjhuerta
    Super Senior Member
    • Jun 2006

At first sight, the curves seem to be 2nd order already. We'll see.

Here's the impedance for both woofers in series.

Click image for larger version

Name:	WooferImp.gif
Views:	1314
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	852332

I assume this means no copper shorting rings, etc. Not a good sign, huh?
    Last edited by theSven; 07 May 2023, 17:55 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
    Javier Huerta

Comment

• fjhuerta
      Super Senior Member
      • Jun 2006

The usually well behaved SEAS 27TBFC/G.

Name:	Seas27.gif
Views:	1441
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	852333

So far, I've managed to get pretty good results with a simple 4th order acoustical crossover, and a more complex 2nd order acoustical. I believe the 2nd order is a better option due to its on and off axis FR (a bit flatter). But, with less components, and a lower X-over point, the 4th order isn't looking bad at all.

4th order acoustical, L-R @ 1.6 KHz.
      Last edited by theSven; 07 May 2023, 17:56 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
      Javier Huerta

Comment

• fjhuerta
        Super Senior Member
        • Jun 2006

Name:	Schema4thorder.gif
Views:	1280
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	852334

Transfer function.

Name:	xfer4th.gif
Views:	1241
Size:	74.8 KB
ID:	852335

FR (with a little flare at 6.1 KHz, couldn't get rid of it without a more complex circuit)

Name:	FR4thorder.gif
Views:	1311
Size:	76.1 KB
ID:	852336
        Last edited by theSven; 07 May 2023, 17:56 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
        Javier Huerta

Comment

• fjhuerta
          Super Senior Member
          • Jun 2006

2nd Order

This is the second order crossover. Far more complex than the 4th order one.

Name:	2ndOrderSchem.gif
Views:	1735
Size:	42.9 KB
ID:	852337

There was no way a simple coil and cap would do the trick. The woofer's rollover is already a 2nd order slope up to a certain point, then it has a dip, then a break-up. After trying a couple of options, I ended up with a series shunt filter, which acts as a BSC circuit. From there, an LR circuit with a resistor in parallel shapes the response from about 2 KHz on down. The end result is a practically perfect 2nd order woofer slope.

Name:	Optimized.gif
Views:	1369
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	852338

I believe distortion testing proves I can use a 2nd order on the woofer at 2.6 KHz without that many issues, so I may do it.

Anyway, the tweeter does behave very nicely (as always), and will do a 2nd order 2.6 KHz acoustic filter with a simple 2nd order electrical filter. BUT - phase isn't correctly aligned. By using a ladder delay network, like Zaph's (actually, with the same values!) this problem is fixed.

Name:	Phase.gif
Views:	1322
Size:	71.5 KB
ID:	852339

This is the FR. The flare at 6.1 KHz is gone.

Name:	FR.gif
Views:	1283
Size:	76.5 KB
ID:	852340

And the transfer function.

Name:	Xfer.gif
Views:	1316
Size:	75.2 KB
ID:	852341

Pretty strange looking, but that's because the woofer's FR is strange to begin with!

Any suggestions on which filter to build? The 4th order seems to be very close to the 2nd order (I'd assume because of the woofers' size - they are very small and crossed very low). But then again, apparently, 2nd order filters sound better.
          Last edited by theSven; 07 May 2023, 17:57 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
          Javier Huerta

Comment

• fjhuerta
            Super Senior Member
            • Jun 2006

I've been playing around with the designs.

I'll be building the 2nd order version. I optimized the filters a bit more. I'll be posting them later.
            Javier Huerta

Comment

• fjhuerta
              Super Senior Member
              • Jun 2006

There has been no interest in this design, but FWIW - it's finished. I'll be listening to them in a while. Simulations are excellent, and even though the x-over is quite complex (for a 2 way) it fit inside the smallish box.

I'll take some pics when they are up and running.
              Javier Huerta

Comment

• fjhuerta
                Super Senior Member
                • Jun 2006

In the end, everything worked out perfectly!

The speakers are amazing. Tang Band every now and then delivers a great driver - I love these W4's! I don't know how many people would pay +$65 for them considering their sensitivity and size, but since s/h was pretty low, they may be an option for customers outside the USA.

I'll let measurements speak for themselves... other than a suck-up at around 2 KHz due to room effects (visible only on the in-room measurements) the speakers measure pretty good.

I'd love to have some help regarding their distortion profile, though.

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	1300
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	852370

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	1198
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	852371

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	1298
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	852372
                Last edited by theSven; 07 May 2023, 17:58 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                Javier Huerta

Comment

• fjhuerta
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Jun 2006

Steps

Name:	steps.gif
Views:	1154
Size:	78.9 KB
ID:	852373
                  Last edited by theSven; 07 May 2023, 17:58 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                  Javier Huerta

Comment

• kevinp.
                    • Apr 2008

nice work Javier! What is that, felt around the tweeter?

Comment

• fjhuerta
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Jun 2006

Hi Kevin,

It's synthetic felt (aka "polyester", I suppose ) I got it from Madisound. It hurts more than it helps, though - I noticed a bit more diffraction after I applied it. But ripping it out is out of the question now - I'd damage the baffle finish. Live and learn.

Free support for loudspeaker projects, sourcing OEM speaker building supplies, and passive crossover design. We sell raw speaker drivers (tweeters, woofers, subwoofer, midrange drivers, full range drivers), speaker kits, amplifiers, capacitors, resistors, and inductors.
                      Javier Huerta

Comment

• fjhuerta
                        Super Senior Member
                        • Jun 2006

I tweaked the 2nd order filter a bit. I'll be posting the design in a few moments.

This will be the definitive version. The project was a success!
                        Javier Huerta

Comment

• fjhuerta
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Jun 2006

Name:	1.gif
Views:	1230
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	852378

By lowering the value of the cap on the tweeter crossover, and lowering the resistor before it, I managed to tilt the tweeter response upwards, therefore flattening it as much as possible up to 20 KHz. this has an effect on impedance that will be seen later.

Name:	2.gif
Views:	1159
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	852379

I took various measurements (1m, 1.5 m, 15° and 30° off axis) and optimized the ladder delay network manually until I got the closest phase match on woofer and tweeter.

Name:	3.gif
Views:	1162
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	852380

Since I basically decreased resistance on the network on the upper response of the tweeter, in order to flatten the tweeter frequency response, impedance drops the higher the tweeter goes. It won't send any amplifier running for cover, though - the impedance is very bening.

Name:	4.gif
Views:	1084
Size:	71.8 KB
ID:	852381

The transfer function. Kinda strange looking, but it works.

Name:	5.gif
Views:	1247
Size:	44.9 KB
ID:	852382

The reason why there are so many parallel caps and resistors is a) for added peace of mind regarding power handling, and b) somehow, ordering smaller caps lowered the price of the crossover significatively.
                          Last edited by theSven; 07 May 2023, 18:01 Sunday. Reason: Update image location
                          Javier Huerta

Comment

• Eric89GXL
                            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by fjhuerta
                            There has been no interest in this design, but FWIW - it's finished...
                            I am interested in it. For some reason, the forum just let me know today that there have been new posts for the last month. They look great!

The FR is surprising, and it doesn't look particularly close to the one on the TB website. Is your mic calibrated?

The distortion test looks strange, as well. How are you measuring the distortion? John Krutke of www.zaphaudio.com has outlined several of the considerations/techniques he uses in his measurements, for example.

Eric

P.S. Hopefully next time the forum will let me know /promptly/ when there's a new post in this thread...

Comment

• ThomasW
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Aug 2000

Originally posted by fjhuerta
                              Hi Kevin,

It's synthetic felt (aka "polyester", I suppose ) I got it from Madisound. It hurts more than it helps, though - I noticed a bit more diffraction after I applied it.
                              The hole in the felt, it shouldn't be a circle it should be a square or diamond.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jun 2006

I suppose it should, Thomas. FR is a bit worse (not much, but noticeable in the upper registers).

The sad thing is, taking the felt out would damage the speaker finish at this point. So I'll just live with it.

They do look nice, though.
                                Javier Huerta

Comment

• fjhuerta
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Eric89GXL
                                  I am interested in it. For some reason, the forum just let me know today that there have been new posts for the last month. They look great!

The FR is surprising, and it doesn't look particularly close to the one on the TB website. Is your mic calibrated?

The distortion test looks strange, as well. How are you measuring the distortion? John Krutke of www.zaphaudio.com has outlined several of the considerations/techniques he uses in his measurements, for example.

Eric

P.S. Hopefully next time the forum will let me know /promptly/ when there's a new post in this thread...
                                  Hi Eric,

The microphone is calibrated. Actually, the FR of the TB woofer is very close to TB's own specs. But they choose their vertical range so that any driver of theirs will look flat on it. Every TB driver I've used (W3-1335sb, W4-1337, W4-1658, W4-657, W4-1320SC) does this to some degree.

The distortion measurement isn't too surprising at this point, either. I did it in a noisy environment with a so-so sound card. I'll repeat it at a much quieter spot with an SB Audigy soon.
                                  Javier Huerta

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"