X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SF_VR6
    • Apr 2007

B&W 600 S4 launched today

Just when I was making my final decisions on which 600 series or CM series I want for my HT....

B&W officially launched the new 600 S4s today:

New B&W 600 S4

now for pricing, availability and auditioning

looks like I've jumpstarted my research again ... :lol:
  • Lewing
    • Oct 2004

It's time to go to dealer to check it out!!!
    Live to Eat, Live to enjoy Music :T

http://community.webshots.com/user/lewing79

Comment

• RebelMan
      Ultra Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Originally posted by SF_VR6
      now for pricing, availability and auditioning
      Prices are rumored to be $450 and $600 for the 686 and 685 bookshelves, $1000 and $1400 for the 684 and 683 floorstanders, $400 and $600 for the HTM62 and HTM61 center channels and $400, $600 and $1000 for the ASW608, ASW610 and ASW610XP subwoofers. Availability was planned for May/June and well its May. Auditioning, that's the fun part.
      "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• PewterTA
        • Nov 2004

hmmm, makes me happy I have all my S3s... I like the looks but would have to keep the grills on the speakers as I can't stand the B&W logo coming off the tweeter like that...just looks really too odd. Looks fine on the center channels coming up vertically... That and everyone loves the little "Y" patterened front of the S3s when they see them (well everyone that's seen my speakers that is)...

Maybe they'll grow on me...course maybe I'll have money for 802Ds...then I don't have to worry about it. :T

I don't know maybe it's just me.
        Digital Audio makes me Happy.
        -Dan

Comment

• RebelMan
          Ultra Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by PewterTA
          I don't know maybe it's just me.
          It's not just you Dan. I'm with ya 100%! The dog tag completely ruins it for me too.

Comment

• PhotoRobot
            • Feb 2005

Hmm, the logo placement is just horrible.

Too bad.

PR

Comment

• Joey_V
              • Jul 2005

Dog tag looks interesting... I'm sure I'll like it as I see it more and more.
              Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
              Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
              System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• Luke Skywalker
                • Apr 2007

RebelMan, which the price of the line s3? How many % it is bigger? I ask to know for how much they will arrive in Brazil.:T
                "Luke Skywalker Experience"

"Luke Skywalker photos"

Comment

• corysmith01
                  • Feb 2005

I agree with the "looks" comments. I owned the s3's and much prefer their look to these. The new series looks very boxy, almost a revert to the s2's. And that B&W tweeter badging is just awful.

Also, looks like a price increase, if I remember correctly. On surface, it would look like the 686 replaces the 600s3, but now costs what the 601s3 did. Likewise, the 685 appears to replace the 601s3 (based on driver compliment, cabinet size), but costs what the 602s3 used to cost....assuming those rumored prices mentioned above are accurate. I could be wrong on that...it was a while back that I bought my 601s3's. But I feel like I remember them being $450/pr and the 602s3's being $600/pr.

Comment

• SF_VR6
                    • Apr 2007

Have you guys realized that the FST driver has been integrated into some of the speakers in this new series? This alone is an improvement over the S3 line regardless of how you feel about the logo piece around the tweeter.

Also new is a better tweeter too.

D-

Comment

• corysmith01
                      • Feb 2005

The FST is only in 2 of the 7 new models; the 683 tower and the HTM61 center.

Comment

• wgriel
                        • May 2006

Have you guys realized that the FST driver has been integrated into some of the speakers in this new series? This alone is an improvement over the S3 line regardless of how you feel about the logo piece around the tweeter.

Also new is a better tweeter too.

D-
                        You are quite right - the S4 series should improve the sound quality over the S3. In addition to what you've mentioned, the whole line gets new crossovers, too.

Having said that, beauty is in the ear of the beholder - we won't really know how these compare in that regard until we get to listen to them!

As to the looks, my initial response is that I prefer the looks of the S3 line. But until I see these "in the flesh" I'm not passing judgment.

Bill

Comment

• RebelMan
                          Ultra Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

How much time do you really spend listening to your speakers compared to looking at them? Even before you begin to play them you look at them first and when you are done they are the last things you see. If your speakers are in a heavily traffic room, the amount of time spent on just looking at them rises exponentially. Just on looks alone I would take the 703 over any 600 series FST. I'm sure the new series will make a beautiful noise but wouldn't you rather be the one that can have his/her cake and eat it too? I'ts gotta be the whole package for me. No compromises... ANYWHERE! :B

Comment

• newbiemex
                            • Feb 2007

I'm glad I didn't wait for the S4 series as the looks don't do it for me, no matter how improved the sound is.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by RebelMan
                              Prices are rumored to be $450 and $600 for the 686 and 685 bookshelves, $1000 and $1400 for the 684 and 683 floorstanders, $400 and $600 for the HTM62 and HTM61 center channels and $400, $600 and $1000 for the ASW608, ASW610 and ASW610XP subwoofers. Availability was planned for May/June and well its May. Auditioning, that's the fun part.
                              RebelMan, most of the prices are right. The ASW608 is $450.00. Don't forget the DS3, they are $800.00 a pair.

The 686, 685, 683, HTM62, and HTM61 are all shipping at the end of May or first week of June. The 684, ASW608, and ASW610 are shipping in July and the ASW610XP is shipping in September. The DS3 is shipping now. There will be three finishes in the states; black ash, red cherry, and wenge. The light oak may be (it sound like that would be the case) available on special order, but it would be a long wait to get them from the UK. Both the 686 and 685 come with wall mount brackets that will hold them flat on the wall which I think is a nice touch.

I can't wait to hear them. I just went through a training on what's new, and on paper they are light years ahead of the Series 3's.

Not that they ever come up on the forum, but the 300 Series is going away. The new 600 Series is replacing them as well.

Also, B&W is out of ASW650's, ASW675's, and DS6's so what ever dealers have in stock is it. It's gonna be painfull not having subs for couple of months.

Eric

Comment

• wgriel
                                • May 2006

How much time do you really spend listening to your speakers compared to looking at them? Even before you begin to play them you look at them first and when you are done they are the last things you see. If your speakers are in a heavily traffic room, the amount of time spent on just looking at them rises exponentially. Just on looks alone I would take the 703 over any 600 series FST. I'm sure the new series will make a beautiful noise but wouldn't you rather be the one that can have his/her cake and eat it too? I'ts gotta be the whole package for me. No compromises... ANYWHERE! :B
                                Heh, that's why I've got 703s coming in within the next few days :B

Though, if I bought the 600 S4s and didn't like the look of the tweeter badge I'd just leave the grills on. That wasn't too hard, was it

Bill

Comment

• scanido
                                  • Apr 2006

Originally posted by hifiguymi
                                  I just went through a training on what's new, and on paper they are light years ahead of the Series 3's.
                                  Eric,

Does this statement refer mainly to the newer models with the FST? Would you think there would be enough difference warranting a wait for the 686 over the DM600, from a technical standpoint?

Thanks

Comment

• RebelMan
                                    Ultra Senior Member
                                    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by wgriel
                                    Though, if I bought the 600 S4s and didn't like the look of the tweeter badge I'd just leave the grills on. That wasn't too hard, was it
                                    Quite true, but it still a compromise to trade form over function.

According to the American Heritage Dictionary...

grille also grill (grĭl) n.
                                    1. A grating of metal, wood, or another material used as a screen, divider, barrier, or decorative element, as in a window or on the front end of an automotive vehicle.
                                    2. An opening covered with a grating.

I trust my ears when they tell me that I prefer the sound with the speaker grills off, however slight. :W If I am going to pay for the marvelous FST I better well hear it but that asymmetrical dog tag would drive me nuts to look at it. LOL

WHY, WHY, WHY did they do that?!?!?! :roll: :roll: :roll:

Heck, if B&W had to brand the speaker the way they did they could have at least made it blend in with the baffle. Sheese!

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                      Super Senior Member
                                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by scanido
                                      Eric,

Does this statement refer mainly to the newer models with the FST? Would you think there would be enough difference warranting a wait for the 686 over the DM600, from a technical standpoint?

Thanks
                                      Everything about all of the speakers is a big upgrade. New magnet structures, new voice coil wires and windings, new formers, simpler crossovers, and the list goes on. You may think about waiting and listening to the 686, provided it's not too big. Besides, has B&W ever taken a step backward in performance?

Eric

Comment

• audioqueso
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2004

I don't think they look bad at all. Especially if you own Rotel gear which already runs the silver sating finish on black with most of their components.
                                        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• newbiemex
                                          • Feb 2007

Everything about all of the speakers is a big upgrade. New magnet structures, new voice coil wires and windings, new formers, simpler crossovers, and the list goes on. You may think about waiting and listening to the 686, provided it's not too big. Besides, has B&W ever taken a step backward in performance?

Eric
                                          Eric, what discount should we be looking at for the S3 speakers now that the new lineup has been released?

Thanks.

Comment

• Ted
                                            • May 2006

Wow, I guess the logo placement isn't my favorite, but I don't think it is that big a deal. It certainly wouldn't be a deal breaker if I was interested in buying 600 series speakers. I guess I feel like it may be a making mountains out of mole hills situation. I think more people would be put off by the 700 and 800 series with the tweeter on top of the speaker (don't get me wrong, I love the way my 703s look).

Then again, that's my opinion and just that, an opinion so who am I to say. My bigger complaint would be the vinyl finish instead of wood, but I'm sure that's a cost issue. I'd be tempted to go to CM7 just for the real wood. Again, it is only my opinion.

As far as sound, I'm sure B & W has done their homework and made a nice step forward over the series 3. I look forward to reading some reviews, maybe my Klipsch HT will need to be replaced by the B & W dog tag... :W
                                            Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2007

Originally posted by newbiemex
                                              Eric, what discount should we be looking at for the S3 speakers now that the new lineup has been released?

Thanks.
                                              That is totally up to your dealer. I'm sure every dealer is going to do it different just as they do on a regular basis.

Eric

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2005

Hang on a minute.

You get an FST midrange in the HTM61 center, but 700 series owners have only the HTM7 without an FST. Maybe owners of 703s should consider a HTM61 center channel !!!!
                                                Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                                                Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Joey_V
                                                  • Jul 2005

Man.. the 683 still has me reeling... an FST in the 600 series? Nice...
                                                  System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• SF_VR6
                                                    • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Joey_V
                                                    Man.. the 683 still has me reeling... an FST in the 600 series? Nice...
                                                    The logo metal plate doesn't look half bad now eh?

I wish these would get here already otherwise I may just bit the bullet and get me a CM7 set up

Comment

• Joey_V
                                                      • Jul 2005

The logo metal plate doesn't look half bad now eh?

I wish these would get here already otherwise I may just bit the bullet and get me a CM7 set up
                                                      Wait for it.... wait for it....

:T

Comment

• Lewing
                                                        • Oct 2004

I just went to my dealer yesterday, according to the information they received, the new 600 series will have price increase up to $400 8O

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                          Super Senior Member
                                                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Lewing
                                                          I just went to my dealer yesterday, according to the information they received, the new 600 series will have price increase up to $400 8O
                                                          As of Wednesday (5/2/07) all of the prices that are stated above are correct. That information is from my B&W rep when he did a training on them.

Eric

Comment

• Lewing
                                                            • Oct 2004

Hi Eric, i really hope you are right about the price because $400 increase is... not cheap! I am hoping to listen to 684 when it's available and if it costs $1400 a pair, then it's would be quite a setback for me.

Cheers

Comment

• wgriel
                                                              • May 2006

That seems too steep to me - a modest increase would be fine, but at that point they are pushing too close to the CM series imo.

Bill

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Mar 2007

Hi Eric, i really hope you are right about the price because $400 increase is... not cheap! I am hoping to listen to 684 when it's available and if it costs $1400 a pair, then it's would be quite a setback for me.

Cheers
                                                                The 683 is $1400.00 and the 684 is $1000.00. The 683 is going to be shipping early June and 684 is shipping in July. That info comes from my rep as of two days ago.

Eric

Comment

• SF_VR6
                                                                  • Apr 2007

The 683 is $1400.00 and the 684 is $1000.00. The 683 is going to be shipping early June and 684 is shipping in July. That info comes from my rep as of two days ago.

Eric
                                                                  wow that's quite a while! Looks like no chance of getting this before Memorial Day Weekend

hmm what to do.

I've got my Tuner coming in next week and no speakers.

Comment

• Jmac
                                                                    • Feb 2005

Greetings

I am very interested in finding out more info on the new 600 series 4, but whether I try from my Mac, or PC, the brochure comes up "file corrupted" when I try to open it after downloading.

Is anyone else having similar problems? - a problem with the new site perhaps?

Many thanks

John...

Comment

• SF_VR6
                                                                      • Apr 2007

Originally posted by Jmac
                                                                      Greetings

I am very interested in finding out more info on the new 600 series 4, but whether I try from my Mac, or PC, the brochure comes up "file corrupted" when I try to open it after downloading.

Is anyone else having similar problems? - a problem with the new site perhaps?

Many thanks

John...
                                                                      See if you can get it open directly from the source link then immediately save it as a new pdf file. I had similar issues, though the info in the brochure is not a complete as what is already on BWs site.

D-

Comment

• SF_VR6
                                                                        • Apr 2007

Update from dealer regarding the new S4s

h: Spoke to a large local dealer last night to get more info regarding the S4s.

h: When a new line is launched, the previous line (S3s) become frozen from new orders. Dealers are required to deplete all current stock and demos. Dealers may not place any new orders for the old S3s.

h: My dealer was not flexible in special pricing for the S3s however did urge me to have more patience and hold off for the S4s. On paper they sound like an improvement. Some of the CM series technology (FST drivers) were being made for certain S4s.

h: The crossover and magnet technologies seem to have been improved as well.

h: He seem to hint that the pricing will be very close to current S3 pricing at least for the Floorstandings (these are the ones I am interested)

:P So maybe no new speakers for Memorial Day weekend. Looks like I'll aim to have my speakers before Independence Day

(unless I pull the trigger now and snatch up a CM7 set befor Memorial Day )

Comment

• scanido
                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                          • Apr 2006

If B&W decides to "freeze" future orders of Series3, I wonder how they would move their outstanding inventory?

Comment

• SF_VR6
                                                                            Member
                                                                            • Apr 2007
                                                                            • 46

Originally posted by scanido
                                                                            If B&W decides to "freeze" future orders of Series3, I wonder how they would move their outstanding inventory?
                                                                            They would try and sell the new in box stock sold from the remaining demos.

maybe sell the demos shortly after at a discount.

They just need to stall 4-6 weeks until the S4s come in.

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                                              • Mar 2007
                                                                              • 1532

#39
                                                                              B&W is not going to "freeze" orders on the old 600 Series when the new stuff is available. That dealer might stop ordering it, but B&W has to sell what they have. They will stop taking orders on the Series 3 when the stock runs out. Also, all of the pricing that is given earlier in this tread is correct.

Eric

Comment

• bo-cephus
                                                                                Junior Member
                                                                                • May 2007
                                                                                • 2

#40
                                                                                Finally got everything I wanted: LCR600s3, 602s3's, and 600s3's. And now they do this. The tobacco companies can learn a thing or two from these guys :-).
                                                                                I generally keep the grills on for protection, so I'm already past the appearance. At least they didn't "overemblemize" the grills.
                                                                                Bummer that they don't seem to have an equivilent, at least size-wise, for the 602. I guess I need more room for floorstandings. But who knows, maybe the smaller ones will cut it.
                                                                                For those that have seen the specific differences, how substantial a jump is this over the S3's, and is it a bigger/smaller jump than the s1 to s2 and/or the s2 to s3. Seems like a pretty big jump to me.

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                  • Mar 2005
                                                                                  • 3139

#41
                                                                                  (unless I pull the trigger now and snatch up a CM7 set befor Memorial Day )
                                                                                  Pass on the S4 and get the CM7. It's a beautiful speaker in every way possible. :T

Comment

• SF_VR6
                                                                                    Member
                                                                                    • Apr 2007
                                                                                    • 46

#42
                                                                                    Pass on the S4 and get the CM7. It's a beautiful speaker in every way possible. :T
                                                                                    You trust that the CM series are that good eh? S4s not worht listening to if you know you could get the CMs?

Comment

• wgriel
                                                                                      Senior Member
                                                                                      • May 2006
                                                                                      • 241

#43
                                                                                      If you can afford it, I agree - While I obviously haven't heard the S4s, I have listened to the CM7 and it's definitely a winner, and a great value at that price point.

I can't imagine that anything in the new 600 series will equal it in sound quality, and you do get a very attractive speaker with a real wood veneer.

Bill

Comment

• RebelMan
                                                                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                                                                        • Mar 2005
                                                                                        • 3139

#44
                                                                                        You trust that the CM series are that good eh? S4s not worht listening to if you know you could get the CMs?
                                                                                        In a heart beat. The fourth generation 600’s are second class citizens compared to the second generation CM’s. The CM’s are the embodiment of the 800 Series in a traditional but upscale cabinet.

Comment

• Russ L
                                                                                          Senior Member
                                                                                          • Jul 2006
                                                                                          • 544

#45
                                                                                          B&W Made in China

I was talking to my dealer today about the new 600 series. Was thinking of picking up the CM7s or the new 683s (despite their bad looks!) to upgrade from my 602s. Mainly for the aluminum tweeter, the FST Midrange, the paper/ Kevlar woofers, and the first order crossovers. Was having a hard time deciding till I got the bad news from my dealer about the new 600 series. At the risk of bringing bad news and being disliked by all :twisted: Apparently the whole 600 series is made in China, cabinets and all! If my dealer is right, this is heresy on the part of B&W, IMO. A real break with tradition that should backfire on their sales. I don't mind having my Rotel amp or my Cambridge 840C Cd player made in China but not my speakers. So I'm going for the Made in Britain Cm7s! I may get shot for this news :a> :E but it explains why the speakers look so bad...Made in China! Best regards, Russ
                                                                                          Russ

Comment

Working...
                                                                                          Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                          Search Result for "|||"