X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pookie007
    • Apr 2006

Temporary Pre-Amp for 803S

I need a pre-amp for my B&W 803s powered by an Audio Research 300.2

My "crappy" receiver (the funding approvals from the wife has been slow) I was using as a pre-amp just quit. I need to replace it with something $1000 or less until the fall when I get the big check from work that will fund a proper replacement. It will also be used for 5 channel now.

Has anyone been happy with a product in that price range for the 803s? I have been checking Audiogon for something used, but haven't seen anything yet. When this unit is replaced, it will be the control piece for the second theater I am building. This system will use B&W 703 and mostly play 2 channel music. I am starting to lean towards the Outlaw.
  • GregLett
    • May 2005

A Rotel pre would be a nice temp. The are pretty good for the price.
    Greg

Comment

• Pookie007
      • Apr 2006

I looked at Rotel, but they don't have HDMI of DVI. Sound quality I think I would be happy. New they are out of my price range. I have been tracking used ones on Audiogon.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
        • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Pookie007
        I need a pre-amp for my B&W 803s powered by an Audio Research 300.2

My "crappy" receiver (the funding approvals from the wife has been slow) I was using as a pre-amp just quit. I need to replace it with something $1000 or less until the fall when I get the big check from work that will fund a proper replacement. It will also be used for 5 channel now.

Has anyone been happy with a product in that price range for the 803s? I have been checking Audiogon for something used, but haven't seen anything yet. When this unit is replaced, it will be the control piece for the second theater I am building. This system will use B&W 703 and mostly play 2 channel music. I am starting to lean towards the Outlaw.
        If you are going 2 channel, spend a few hundred more and get a Musical Fidelity A308CR.

$1200 should pick this up. I use one with my Bryston 7B St's and N801's. Very happy with this setup.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
          • Jun 2006

Here is a great piece that $1000 to $1100 should fetch.

Integrated CD player too. Not wuite up to the A308, but a great value if you need a CD.

Comment

• Pookie007
            • Apr 2006

The problem is I need to use if for 5 channel HT until October (check day). Then when I move it to the second system in the basement, I will use it for 2 channel music when we hang out down there, but my daughter will still use it for movies and video games when she has friends over.

Since I will be living with this for about 6 months as my primary pre-amp (803s system), I'm just trying to maximize my performance. The ceiling on the budget is $1000.

Comment

• shep
              • Dec 2004

denon avr-3806 will make a nice sub-$1000 pre (not as nice as the separates) but will give HDMI switching to boot, and can be a nice basement addition when you get your stereo replacement.

I moved to all Rotel for the stereo, but still using my trusty old AVR-3801 with the tv in the family room.

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Pookie007
                The problem is I need to use if for 5 channel HT until October (check day). Then when I move it to the second system in the basement, I will use it for 2 channel music when we hang out down there, but my daughter will still use it for movies and video games when she has friends over.

Since I will be living with this for about 6 months as my primary pre-amp (803s system), I'm just trying to maximize my performance. The ceiling on the budget is $1000.
                If you need HT, try one of these:

Before you laugh, just try it. I have two digitally amplified receivers and a three digital amps outside of my main system. This is the best $200 you will spend in audio. If you don't like it, you should be able to get most of your money back ($200, not a big risk - email me before you put it on ebay, I could use another for my office).

This receiver will not blow away high end equipment, but will compete very well, way too well for $200.

Comment

• recall
                  • Apr 2007

classe

Get a used Classe or Meridian. These units will beat a Denon in sound quality. You can't go wrong with 2-channel music and it will do 5 channel for movies. Just run your HDMI/DVI directly from source to TV. You won't be able to find a decent switcher in your price range.

A used Meridian 561 can be found for $700, and Classe SSP-25 for $800-1000. I personally think the classe beats Meridian, but can't tell if that's because of my balanced connection to the amp. My friend and I both use the SSP-25 as our processor/DAC. He uses it for B&W Nautilus 802. I used it for B&W N804, 803S, N802 with good results.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"