Help for Wall mounted 2.1 music setup...

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • linuxtx
    • Apr 2007

Help for Wall mounted 2.1 music setup...

I love my downstairs theater setup for 2 channel music listening (N804 driven by a Rotel RB991, with a Velodyne HGS-12 to fill in if more bass is needed). Unfortunately in recent years I spend most of my music listening time in my home office. Currently the office setup is an Squeezebox (flacs) -> HK-3480 -> B&W LM-1 + AS-1. Honestly it is a good setup, and the LM-1 + AS-1 will likely end up in the bedroom when I upgrade my office, but it just doesn't seem great...
    I am looking to upgrade, but wanted some opinions. The biggest limitation is that the mains must be wall mounted. They will be used for near field listening, roughly 3ft between my head and the speakers. I have been contemplating the following setups. I have not listened to them yet, I wanted to narrow down the options a bit first, plus nearfield auditions of any of these wall mounted are hard to come by. Any of them will be driven by that same HK receiver until a later date when I may decide to add an amp. That said, what are your opinions on the following?

Setup 1:
    B&W CM1 mains, wall mounted.
    B&W AS2 or ASW600 Sub (AS-1 doesn't allow roll off adjustment)
    Upgrade cost: $1400 new

Setup 2:
    B&W XT2 Mains, wall mounted
    B&W AS2 or ASW600 Sub
    Upgrade Cost: $1600 new

Setup 3:
    B&W XT2 Mains, Wall Mounted
    B&W PV-1 Used sub
    Upgrade Cost: $1800 give or take

Setup 4:
    B&W SCM-1 Mains , Wall Mounted (used)
    B&W PV-1 Used sub
    Upgrade cost: $2100 give or take

Of the mains, I have heard the SCM-1s but not nearfield, and I have heard the CM1s (not wall mounted). I am pretty sure that the last setup is going to sound the best, but will it really be that much better? The cost is 50% more than setup 1... As to the music I listen to, it really varies... Last.fm shows what I have been listening to most.

Thanks,
    Justin
  • Gremal
    • Apr 2007

I haven't listened to all the speakers you're considering, but the SCM is part of the Nautilus 800 line and in another class than the others on your list.
    Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
    Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
    B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
    VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
    Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

I don't think I'd do CM1's mounted to the wall. Since the port is in the rear and there is no provision for a wall mount that would be my last choice. I'd do the XT2 (which is a wonderful speaker) or the SCM-1. They both come with wall mounts and are tuned to be in that type of installation. The PV1 is a great sub and would be the one to get it you can find a used one to fit in the budget.

Eric

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

Option 4.
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• linuxtx
          • Apr 2007

I didn't think the CM1 was much of an option either, but the B&W website description mentions "Shelf or wall bracket mounting is an option for the CM1 but a matching floor-stand, the FS 700/CM, is available and provides optimal performance."
          Certainly the SCM-1 is the best possible option. I am just wondering about the price difference. They are going for $1200-$1500/pr used vs. the XT2 for $1100/pr new. I am guessing used they would be considerably less if they ever appear for sale. I have not heard the XT series at all and don't really know how they would compare.

Comment

• Gremal
            • Apr 2007

A pair of SCM1 usually go for $1000 + shipping these days because B&W has not offered them new for several years now. That is, unless you come across a pair that has not been opened yet, but I don't know that such a thing exists anymore.

A pair of SCMS does go for about $1500 used.

I think your choice ultimately comes down to how important it is for you to buy new and have that warranty, as we all agree the SCM is the best speaker.
            Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
            Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
            B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
            VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
            Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• hifiguymi
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2007

Keep in mind the SCM-1, or SCMs for that matter, is quite a bit bigger than the XT2. I don't know if that is a concern or not in your installation.

Eric

Comment

• linuxtx
                • Apr 2007

New vs. used doesn't bother me at all. My point was that SCM-1 seems to go for ~$1200-$1500/pr used and the XT2 is $1100 new, so would probably go for around $600-700 used. That is a sizable price difference, and means the XT2 + sub used would be roughly the cost of the SCM-1 used without the sub.
                I am very familiar with the nautilus line and love the sound of my n804. I have also spent a bit of time with the n805 and was quite pleased. I guess my biggest concerns with the SCM-1 are bass extension. The XT2 is rated 55Hz - 22kHz +-3 while the SCM-1 was only 70Hz-22kHz. Remember in room response has much less impact in nearfield vs normal listening. I will be ~3ft from the speakers.
                Frankly, if I could wall mount the n805 I would do so and be done with it, but that depth is just too much I think, and I haven't seen any options for wall mounting the 805.
                Height and width are not too much of a problem, it is mainly depth that makes wall mounting a problem, and particularly for this application.

Comment

• fordster
                  • Feb 2005

If you do listen to the XT2s I'd love to hear what you think....
                  Dave

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"