Dilemma - which speaker setup should i go for?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alpina
    • Nov 2005

Dilemma - which speaker setup should i go for?

Hi all,

We are at a crossroad. Our system is coming together and we are now ready to buy speakers. We have been for awhile but are having a hard time choosing between performance vs aesthetics.

So far we have Pioneer 506 plasma with yamaha 2600 and pioneer 989 dvd player.

My speaker options are as follows:

Option 1:

b&w 705s (fronts) with htm7 (center) with fpm6's (surrounds) with asw700 sub. can add rotel 1075 if 2600 does not have enough power, though we hope it will be ok

Option 2:

b&w fpm5's or boston acoustic 442's allround with b&w asw700 or pv1 sub

As you can see, we are feeling torn between the option of discreet wall mounted speakers vs bookshelf and matching center at front with wall mounted at rear.

I understand that wall mounted speakers are a compromise when compared with bookshelves and floor standers but aesthetics are important too and the domestic market seems to be heading in this direction. what do you guys really think of the sound of these wall mounted speakers? we expect our mix of listening to be 70% HT vs 30% audio.

We have added pictures of our room to give you an idea of what we are trying to achieve. As you can see, although the room is relatively long, its not that wide (approx 10mts long, 4.6mts wide and 4.1mts high). If we go with bookshelves and stands will the room be over-cluttered?

Please help as this is all beginning to stress me out big time.

If we have placed this into the wrong sub-forum, we would appreciate it if you point us in the right direction.

Many thanks,

Julie
    Attached Files
    My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880
  • brendon
    • Aug 2004

Hi I was idling in my local Ht (waiting to pick up my new PJ)last week and asked the saleperson about the B&W FPM series ( He Knew I already had stand mount B&W 602's and therefore not a potential buyer) and was of the opinion that they are fine for HT but no match to conventional speaker if your serious about music but they are are step above any other speakers of this stlye.The only way to tell is to take a set home and try them!
    From personal experience I can say that speakers can sound very different at home compared to the store so really push for a home trial when you have made a final choice.
    Brendon

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

As we posted in the DIY forum when you first ask this question....

Box speakers must be out from the wall a couple of feet or so. If they're right up against the wall they're not going to sound very good, because there is circuitry in the crossover that effect the sonic signature.

For that really narrow a set up, go with in-wall or on-wall specialty speakers. Those are 'voiced' for that specific placement.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• alpina
        • Nov 2005

Thanks Thomas,

I know your right - we just wanted to try and squeeze in those 705's Our room is not that wide so looking like in wall it will be, especially given that we want to customise some sort of bench under that wall.

Will give the FPM's a serious audition - need to see them in black and hope that they blend in with the pioneer 506. Will go with PV1 (black) also over aws700 for aesthetic reasons.

In respect to the the FPM's, anyone know if i can go FPM5's for fronts and rears and an FPM6 for center or if I should go FPM5's all round?

Thanks for your patience.

Julie
        My setup so far: Pioneer PDP-506HD, Sony DST-HD500, Bryston SP2, Bryston 6B SST, Bryston 4B SST, Pioneer DV-989AViS, CD Player TBC, Belkin PF60, B&W 804s, HTM3S, B&W 705s, B&W ASW750, Logitech Harmony 880

Comment

• ThomasW
          Moderator Emeritus
          • Aug 2000

Something fairly new from Magnepan.....

Magnepan is the leader in high value, high quality, flat panel audiophile speakers for stereo and multi-channel use.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• alpina
            • Nov 2005

my dilemma goes on

looking like 705's front, htm7 center and bravo II surrounds. alternative will be on wall speakers all round (eg, FPM's or BA P Series).

sub undecided on atm.

can i just get the consensus that i should just stick with a 5.1 setup (given my room size and setup) or is there merit in going 7.1 - perhaps a pair of inceiling or another pair of Bravo II's?

cheers,

julie

Comment

• Paul H
              • Feb 2004

Julie,

I like big full-range speakers but ..

Your setup seems well-suited for wall-mounted speakers. You already have a plasma screen that only sticks out 2-3 inches into the room, so you probably don't want your speakers to fill up a lot of space. As Thomas alluded to, you're better off with in-walls designed for that application than box speakers set too close to the wall.

As an experiment, take a couple of cardboard boxes and drop them 2 to 3 feet out from the wall (where box speakers should go) - live with them for a day or two and see if you're tripping over them.

I think putting 7 speakers in that space would be squeezing in more speakers than are necessary - I really doubt there'd be any benefit at all and would stick to 5.1 in your case. Most of the reviews and comments you'll read on the net indicate a marginal preference for 7.1 in very large rooms but no difference in average to smaller rooms. Go to Dolby's website and look at speaker layout suggestions - all the 7.1 layouts have 2 rear speakers in the room well behind the listener ...

Paul

Comment

• aud19
                Twin Moderator Emeritus
                • Aug 2003

I agree, definitely only need 5.1.

I also agree that free standing speakers are always the better alternative for SQ but only if you can position them properly AWAY from walls. In this case, unless you don't mind them out in the room or already plan to say add a table or equipment cabinet under the display wich you could put the speakers beside and slightly infront of they'd be less of a problem.

Otherwise, you'll likely get better SQ with speakers specifically designed to be on/near walls.
                Jason

Comment

• dyazdani
                  Moderator Emeritus
                  • Oct 2005

You might also take a look are Martin Logan Frescos.

Beautiful room BTW...

Danish

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"