X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Edgeyboy
    • Nov 2006

804 with PV1 Sub ?

I have a pair of 5 year old 804s (not S Model). I am thinking of buying a sub to underpin the 804s, and like the look of the PV1.

Is it up to the job ? Will it provide the subtle underpinning I am looking for ?

I only listen in 2 channel mode btw.

Many thanks.
  • Nolan B
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2005

i would think it would fit well, especially for the fact it will be used for music. I have one and while it works well for both movies and music it really shines whe I am listening to music.

and it does look great. Also it uses a 500w B&O ICE power amp which i think is pretty cool too.

<----- look i got a pic of one I like it so much

Comment

• ShadowZA
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Imho the PV1 should be perfect for your needs. If you can though, I'd recommend that you listen before you buy. It's all about YOU liking what YOU hear.

Good luck & keep us posted on your findings.

Comment

• hifiguymi
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2007

The PV1 is a great woofer and I think you'd like it. I agree with ShadowZA in that you should listen to it first if you can. It may not work for you if you have a large room.

Eric

Comment

• Edgeyboy
          • Nov 2006

Thanks guys. I'll borrow one this week and let you know how I get on.

Comment

• Briz vegas
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Edgeboy.
            If you are using the high level connection don't be put off by the quality of the wires. I have a REL that uses similarly thin wires for its high level connection. I raised this with B&W and they said that they could not pick a difference between wires so they went with the thin ones - and this is from a company that provides for biwire on their other products.

The trick with the low level connection on the PV1 is that it only has one input - basically for HT sub in rather than left and right in. Also note that the crossover only works on the high level connection.

The beauty of the PV1 is its subtlety. The lack of boom is a bit off putting as it is such a clean sounding device. It truely is a audiophile design in my opinion. Of course if you have a big room you may need 2 of them.
            Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
            Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• WI Rotel
              • Jul 2006

I'm a PV1 fan (I use 2 for a big room). Sound is great, of course, but I'm truly wondering about the esthetics. The 804 has beautiful wood cabinetry which IMO might be discordant with the PV1's modern silvery look. If you really like the PV1, I would go for the black ones so as to limit their visual impact.

Comment

• Nolan B
                Super Senior Member
                • Sep 2005

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                Edgeboy.
                If you are using the high level connection don't be put off by the quality of the wires. I have a REL that uses similarly thin wires for its high level connection. I raised this with B&W and they said that they could not pick a difference between wires so they went with the thin ones - and this is from a company that provides for biwire on their other products.

The trick with the low level connection on the PV1 is that it only has one input - basically for HT sub in rather than left and right in. Also note that the crossover only works on the high level connection.

The beauty of the PV1 is its subtlety. The lack of boom is a bit off putting as it is such a clean sounding device. It truely is a audiophile design in my opinion. Of course if you have a big room you may need 2 of them.
                this is good info. I can add to it and confirm that you can connect the PV1 by both the high level and low level connection if you wish to use it for home theater and 2 channel bybass mode. It seems when the PV1 recieves a signal from both (like when watching a movie) it defaults to the low level connection. When listening to 2 channel in bypass mode obviously it only gets the signal via the high level connection.

Its possible that I am wrong in that when watching movies the PV1 doesnt ouput a signal from both the low level and high level connection, but I can tell or find a good way to test it.

Comment

• Edgeyboy
                  • Nov 2006

I tried the PV1 and to be honest it didn't go down low enough for my liking.
                  Nice peice of engineering, but of limited use with a speaker the size of the 804 in my opinion.

Comment

• nicky
                    • Jan 2007

PV1 are good subwoofers for what they are. "They are a result of a balance between style/looks and performance"....according to B&W themselves.

But they are not for people who have ALL performance in mind but for people who want a good subwoofer but also like the modern look.

If you really want a B&W subwoofer, you should look at ASW750 (which is in the same price range as the PV1, but performs much better..even according to B&W) or the much expensive 800 models....OR go with other companies like Velodyne, etc, etc that all make great subwoofers if it doesn't have to be B&W since subwoofers don't/are not voice matched like other speakers.

For the price you would pay for a pv1, you have many options to buy a great subwoofer.

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"