X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gremal
    • Apr 2007

B&W SCM-1 no longer offered?

Forgive me if I appear to have been in a slumber for a number of years, but why did B&W stop offering the SCM-1? It seems the tweeter design more closely matched the rest of the Nautilus line compared to the currently offered SCMS.
    Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
    Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
    B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
    VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
    Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

The SCMs replaced the SCM-1. Since they are used as rear speakers more often than front speakers it was somewhat a cosmetic choice to not have the tweeter outside of the cabinet. It's still the same tweeter as the rest of the current 800 Series line up however. It still has the Nautilus tube, it's just inside the cabinet now.

Eric

Comment

• Gremal
      • Apr 2007

Hmmm...I do like the SCM-1 better and based purely on its design I suspect it will aurally fit more seemlessly with the N80X speakers in my system.

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Originally posted by Gremal
        Hmmm...I do like the SCM-1 better and based purely on its design I suspect it will aurally fit more seemlessly with the N80X speakers in my system.
        The whole older Nautilus range was disconunued shortly after the release of the new 800 series.. So the only way you will get the old SCM-1s is second hand.. They were's 'great sellers' so they are relatively rare to come onthe market but you shluld be able to pick them up for less than half the new prices if you are patient...

That aside - seriously consider their replacement - which are extremely good - sounding 99% of the 805S and with better treble (like all the 800 series) tham the old SCM-1's Also the new SCM-S with it's tweeter on the bottom is much better suited for higher wall mouning than the older ones - which tended to get too much treble reflection etc unless lower on the walls in rooms with high or well damped cielings...

Geoff

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

the newer models have a better wall mount as well.
          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Gremal
            • Apr 2007

Thanks. I didn't mean to criticize the SCMS. If I was mounting high up on the wall, or if I was matching it with the "D" models using the diamond tweeter, I would definitely go with the SCMS. Since I am trying to keep the installation of all speakers at roughly the same (ear) level, and since I am matching it with the older 802/805/HTM1, I need to go with the SCM1 to get my 7 channels.

Comment

• Charles
              • Jul 2006

I will have a set of black SCM1's for sale in a week or 2 when my new SCMS's get delivered. I expect no difference in sound especially for surround duty, but the wife wants the rosenut to match the front lineup. They have been on order for 2 weeks now, but I got a call Thursday from my dealer saying rosenut is backordered and will have to come from the factory.

Comment

• sikoniko
                Super Senior Member
                • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Aussie Geoff
                [color=navy]That aside - seriously consider their replacement - which are extremely good - sounding 99% of the 805S and with better treble (like all the 800 series) tham the old SCM-1's Also the new SCM-S with it's tweeter on the bottom is much better suited for higher wall mouning than the older ones - which tended to get too much treble reflection etc unless lower on the walls in rooms with high or well damped cielings...

Geoff
                Here is what I don't get. I've owned both the N805 and the SCM1's and I can't say that one is better than the other. I think it depends on the application. Where wall mounting fits, the SCM1 is the choice, where a monitor fits, go for the 805.

It is said that mounting the SCM1 to the wall also increases bass response. I can't say one way or the other, but I put a couple layers of cork-board between the wall and the mount.
                I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• Gremal
                  • Apr 2007

Originally posted by sikoniko
                  It is said that mounting the SCM1 to the wall also increases bass response. I can't say one way or the other, but I put a couple layers of cork-board between the wall and the mount.
                  Proximity to walls is well-known to bloat the bass perfermance of speakers and make them sound bottom-heavy. With proper bass management, this is not an issue because we can control the cut-off point and send all frequencies below that to our sub.

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"