X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gremal
    • Apr 2007

B&W subwoofer ASW800 vs 855

I am currently using the ASW800 in my system and have not been following B&W's latest gear. Now I see the comparable sub is the ASW825 and the 800 is no longer offered. I realize a different Xover is being used in the 825, but are there other differences? Does the newer crossover and other? advantages of the 825 really render the 800 obsolete?
    Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
    Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
    B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
    VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
    Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables
  • hifiguymi
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2007

It's a totally different woofer. Like all of the current 800 Series the ASW825 uses a Rohacell woofer. The amp is basically the same however.

The ASW825 doesn't make the the ASW800 sound worse just because it's newer/better. Are you thinking of adding a second sub to your system?

Eric

Comment

• Gremal
      • Apr 2007

Can you describe the advantages of the Rohacell woofer? Does it increase speed? Tightness? Other dynamic aspect? Or is it not really much of an advance? TIA

Nope, no thoughts of adding a second sub. Plenty of thoughts about upgrading to B&W's latest technology. But it's an expensive proposition.
      Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
      Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
      B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
      VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
      Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables

Comment

• hifiguymi
        Super Senior Member
        • Mar 2007

The new Rohacell woofers are stiffer and lighter than the previous Kevlar/paper woofers. I think they are faster sounding and have better deep bass transient response. Since the ASW800 and the ASW850 are both very good subs it might be difficult to hear the difference between them and the new ASW825 and ASW855 unless you hear them in the same or similar rooms. I do think it's a worthwhile upgrade.

Eric

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"