Is there a major Sonic difference between ASW 855 and ASW 850 Subs????

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • chinets
    • Jun 2005

Is there a major Sonic difference between ASW 855 and ASW 850 Subs????

Hi Ya'll,
    As a current owner of a ASW 850 Sub and adding another one for serious HT and Music bass. Would an ASW 855 Have a different Sonic sound or obvious difference in sound than my current ASW 850, because my dealer said he had a perfect condition ASW 850 at half the price of the ASW 855 ,and I know that for sure these two Subs will match as they are the same Sub except that i am will be buying a used one Vs. a new one .

Will I have aproblem here or should I just go with the used same sub that I currently own as it is a second sub and not my only sub.??

If it's a used sub, would I have a different sounding that my current existing one which is the same ASW 850 or not ,or will they sound identical even if it was used??
    ASW 855 has Rohacell bass driver, but ASW 850 does not. Will that give a different sounding bass???

Same Bass and cheaper Hmmmmm!! can anyone make up my mind please???

I personally can afford the ASW 855 but the used ASW 850 is way cheaper (Half the price) and will sound the same as my current ASW 850 Sub and it's the same Cherry colour sub and it's in a good condition and for God sake it's a second sub ."that is what is going through my mind now"!!!! Will I be OK!! or missing something??? I hate wasting money when something cheaper will give me the exact same result that I want and not make it sound different!!
    Thanks,
    Chinets
    • Nov 2005

HI chinets,
    We meet again on almost the same subject. I can't talk about the 850 and 855. My experience is with the 800 and 825. The difference in driver technology, except for size, is the same. I was in exactly the same situation as you. I wanted to add a second sub to my 800 but the 800's were discontinued. So I borrowed an 825 (new) from my dealer and patched it into my system. I had it for a week.

I thought the 825 was slightly better. It seemed to go a little lower with a little less distortion at high volume. But the difference was slight. I don't think I would have noticed it unless I had them side by side and listened very closely. It's definitely not night and day. For music, I noticed no differences at all. Integration to my 805S's was relatively easy with either sub. Your floorstanders may present different integration issues but I really don't think it will be difficult with either sub. I got a real sense that the ASW 8XX series are voiced to match B&W main speakers which makes integration a whole bunch easier.

Then I had the opportunity to purchase a used 800 in a matching color. I bought the used one. I'm very happy.

I don't think you will have any problems mixing the 850 and 855. Whether the 855 is worth the extra money is another question. In my case, I didn't think the 825 was. Remember, I'm comparing the price of a new 825 to the price of a used 800. If I were making a choice by comparing the price of a new 800 (not do-able now) and a new 825 I would choose the 825 by a whisker.

Anyway, two of these beasts in the room certainly look and sound great. You are going to love the result. Good luck.

Sparky

Comment

• worldys
      • Dec 2005

i have listened to both at the local dealer (but not in my home unfortunately), i really couldn't appreciate much of a difference, so even with money not an issue i think you would be better off getting matching subs for perfect symetry, one idea would be to take the money you save by buying the discontinued model and buy a matching pair of really nice subwoofer interconnects, i think you would end up with a more evenly matched and better sounding system

Comment

• chinets
        • Jun 2005

Thanks Karma and Worldys for your Input.
        You are right!!! Buy the used Sub that has the same sounding as my current existing Sub and use the extra 2000 dollar cash that I saved to buy some great Interconnecting cables.
        Karma, you said that you would take choose the 825 by a whisker why???
        I really thought you would hear a slight difference between the 855 and 850 because of the Rohacell driver?? Is that true!!
        Thanks Karma for the trouble I have caused you with my Sub. ,but since I have the option to pick up a New 855 or a perfect condition used 850 and save money to match my existing and current sub the 850 ,then I believe you have all made me think why not buy the used 850 and save 2000 dollars and I would not have noticed any difference in sound anyway??? Right??
        Karma, I thank you for being there!!! and Worldys you have set me in the right path!!
        Thanks guys,
        Chinets

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI chinets,
          Read my post again. I gave the differences I heard.

Sparky

Comment

• kurtholz
            • Feb 2005

Dear Chinets

two words

SEEK HELP

2 subs are so out of control, you are a very sick man, i think counseling could help

my advice

get the other sub,( used) if it doesnt sound good , buy two more, as 4 subs are the next new thing

hahahhahha

your friend

Kurt

P:S, email me offline, i have a crazy story to tell you about the guy you talked to about the Krell stuff

Comment

• chinets
              • Jun 2005

Dear Kurt,
              Yes, I will E-Mail you offline I am sure you have a hilarious story ,as usual!! Ha Ha! Love your stories!!!

4 subs you maniac !! You want my wife to fry me?????? 2 Was my final limit ,and If I push for more ,I'll be deprived of both subs pal!!!!!!

Keep in touch,
              Your friend,
              Chinets

Comment

• chinets
                • Jun 2005

Karma,
                Thanks!! I understand !!!
                I probably can't figure out why rohacell could be different than the normal driver in the N8**series?? That's all.
                Thanks again for your kind reply,
                Chinets

Comment

• worldys
                  • Dec 2005

chinets

b&w's is marketing that the rohacell drivers are lighter than previous kobex drivers so they can move faster (more responsive) and move more air (more bass) with the same energy

the latest thing i have heard about subs from a revel dealer is that 2 medium subs are better than one huge sub and the best positioning is in the middle of a wall, ideally mounted several feet in the air

let's see how our wives react to that little proposal :E

cheers

s

Comment

• sikoniko
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

you know, that is kind of funny because I purchased cara to help setup my theater room and when i positioned the sub and ran the optimizer, it put the sub in the air. it didnt say how the heck i was supposed to make it float up there though. heh.
                    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• chinets
                      • Jun 2005

Worldys,
                      If I put any Sub in the air at home I'll be tossed out of the house so fast I wouldn't know what hit me, The Sub or the wife!!! Just kidding!!!

Are you serious by saying that a Sub would sound better if it were placed at ear level in a wall cavity???? Sounds Dangerous my friend?

How about in the false ceiling?????? Ouch!!!! Or under the couch for special effects?? That should rock your room!!!

Seriously ,Is that what the dealer said " Put it in the Wall" ??? 45 Kilo Subs in the wall !! Sounds like pink Floyd to me!!

Have a wonderful day, and lets keep the wives out of this forum, as we plot those Subs in the wall for that special effect,

Cheers,
                      Chinets

Comment

• worldys
                        • Dec 2005

chinets

i don't think he meant actually IN the wall, i assume he meant AGAINST the wall on a stand a couple feet in the air, i didn't pursue the issue any further because of the wife factor

but i do like to keep my subs away from corners whenever possible to avoid exagerated boominess

cheers

s

Comment

• Nov 2005

HI worldsys,
                          Yet, REL recommends corner placement. Go figure!

Sparky

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"