X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gremal
    • Apr 2007

ASW825 raked over the coals

After upgrading my N802 pair to 802D and immediately identifying the advantages of the Rohacell/Kevlar cone over the paper/Kevlar, I decided I needed to sell my ASW800 and buy an ASW825. I found one for sale listed in excellent condition and quickly made a deal with the seller. I pleaded with him to double box but he assured me it would be fine in the original box.

On Tuesday, the box arrived looking like it had been used in free-fall experiments off the top of the empire state building. The box had gashes and creases. I would not have signed for the box had I been in my office when UPS delivered it, but I was at lunch and the receptionist signed. I could see areas where the box was ripped and that's a telltale sign of damage.

Unboxing the sub was like a bad dream. The top was protected somewhat by B&W's packing material, but even that was not in its original condition. No original packing was used on the bottom. The seller just threw a couple small squares of styrofoam from a different box and a folded-over piece of cardboard. To add further insult, the sub was double-bagged in black trashbags!

After removing the trashbags, the first thing I noticed was that the grille had been jarred with enough force that the grille fittings had broken off into the four holes in each corner of the front of the cabinet. Second thing I noticed was the fins on the heatsink were badly bent. On closer inspection the bottom corners on the back were damaged and there were a couple minor dings to the cabinet and the B&W badge on the wood (not on the grille) had been stripped off.

The good news is that the sub functions flawlessly--sounds significantly better than my old sub (which I carefully DOUBLE-BOXED in ample packing and shipped to the buyer). Amazingly, unless you look closely or see the heatsink on the rear panel, you wouldn't notice anything wrong. I even fished the grille fittings out of the holes and glued them back on the grille so it can be placed over the front and the B&W badge appears normally. I will want to replace the grille and heatsink and get a little compensation for the other dings, but otherwise I'm happy with the purchase. It's just a shame the seller couldn't have taken an extra 15 minutes to double box the sub and use appropriate packing. There is no reason this beautiful speaker should have been dinged up.
    Integrated 7.1 HT and Two-Channel System
    Pioneer KRP-600M | VAC Phi Beta 110i | to be determined front end
    B&W 802D | B&W HTM1D | B&W ASW-825 | B&W N805 | B&W SCM1
    VPI Scout | Oppo BDP-95 | Tivo Series 3 | Integra DTC-9.8
    Audio Refinement Multi-5 | PS Audio Premier | Goertz and Electra Glide cables
  • OttoMatic
    • Jan 2007

That seller is of poor quality. Nonetheless, you have to consider what lengths UPS must go to in order to damage a relatively stout product like that.

They were able to smash my Sunfire amp from side to side, through the thick metal case, to the point where it had to go back to Sunfire. They care nothing about your package, and only about their schedule.

I avoid UPS at all turns, and encourage everyone else to do the same. Never had a problem with FedEx or the USPS, though I'm sure others have...
    -- Otto
    Misc Pics

Comment

• ShadowZA
      Super Senior Member
      • Jan 2006

Originally posted by Gremal
      ...The good news is that the sub functions flawlessly--sounds significantly better than my old sub ...
      Congrats on your ASW825! :T

Kudo's to B&W for superb construction of their subs. It's a shame though that the transport company could not see fit to treat your boxed merchandise with due care. Hope that it does not cost too much in $ & effort to get things up to scratch.

Comment

• RebelMan
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Mar 2005

It's just a shame the seller couldn't have taken an extra 15 minutes to double box the sub and use appropriate packing. There is no reason this beautiful speaker should have been dinged up.
        Gremal, it is good to hear that your story has a happy conclusion and I hope that everything works out to your total satisfaction. I COMPLETELY AGREE with you that the seller was not diligent in his ways to properly ship your ASW-825. I currently have my HTM3S and matching stand for sale and not only do I INSIST on double boxing it for the buyer it will come complete with all original packaging AND will be stuff to the gills with packing peanuts for extra, EXTRA security. I am VERY anal about my gear and I am more anal about the gear I sell. I know exactly where you are coming from!
        "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Gremal,

I hope the seller is standup and will pay the damages. Too bad about the carton. I always try to buy speakers with their original packing. For this very reason it is a good lesson to all who read this thread, that buying speakers with original packing and keeping the original packing is important.

I've even kept the original packing for the 802D's. This means when you sell or upgrade you can send the speakers to the next buyer and have it arrive in good condition. The packing carton is a very important part of the sale.

I would even go so far as to ask the seller of this sub to send you at his cost a new packing box, because the day you sell you will have the same complications and stories to tell.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Im sorry to hear about that, I would contact UPS immediatly.

Same thing happend to me with a Monster amp last year. 100lb amp shipped UPS = damage.

They ended up sending an adjuster out (boy was she smokin hot!) to take pictures and what not.

I ended up getting my money back, UPS has to reimburse the seller, then the seller refunded me. It was a pain in the arse, but I was happy in the end to not be stuck with a beat up amp.
            B&W

Comment

• Gremal
              • Apr 2007

Christopher, how did you get UPS to send an adjuster out?

UPS wants to pick up the sub in the box/packing and take it back to HQ for inspection. The seller wants me to pack it with additional material to try to defraud UPS of the insurance money. If I do that, any inspector will see that the dings on the box and on the sub don't match the packing material. This is really frustrating because I originally asked the seller to double-box the sub. He said it would be fine single-boxed and here we are after the damage and he's asking me to pack it better. Hell, if I could have packed it in the first place, we wouldn't be in this mess. AAAAarrgh!

Comment

• Ted
                • May 2006

Christopher, how did you get UPS to send an adjuster out?

UPS wants to pick up the sub in the box/packing and take it back to HQ for inspection. The seller wants me to pack it with additional material to try to defraud UPS of the insurance money. If I do that, any inspector will see that the dings on the box and on the sub don't match the packing material. This is really frustrating because I originally asked the seller to double-box the sub. He said it would be fine single-boxed and here we are after the damage and he's asking me to pack it better. Hell, if I could have packed it in the first place, we wouldn't be in this mess. AAAAarrgh!
                Boy, that seems pretty shady of the seller. Is that how he or she does everything in their life? Sorry to hear about your bad fortune with the sub, that really sucks! Good luck with everything! I'm glad at least it sounds good! Good Luck!
                Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• dmccombs
                  • Sep 2006

I keep all my boxes, but I can see why others wouldn't. They take up a heck of a lot of room. With that in mind, I have recieved gear that wasn't in thier origianl box. It just comes down to how well the seller packs things.

In this case the seller did a poor job. He should just accept responsibilty for it and make things right. To ask the buyer to cover for him and lie is pathetic.

I hope you leave very negative feedback for this guy when it is all said and done. He shouldn't be selling gear, and people should know about his lack of character. :nutkick:

I hope you get reimbursed quickly.

Regards,
                  Darrell
                  Last edited by dmccombs; 27 June 2007, 10:53 Wednesday.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                    Super Senior Member
                    • May 2005

Its the seller who has to repay you not ups.

It is his problems with ups not yours.

Get your money from him, and let him deal with ups. Don't bother with anything else

Comment

• Russ L
                      • Jul 2006

On Tuesday, the box arrived looking like it had been used in free-fall experiments off the top of the empire state building... Unboxing the sub was like a bad dream...There is no reason this beautiful speaker should have been dinged up.
                      Sorry to hear about your bad experience. Thats why I don't have the courage to buy equipment from afar, except for cables and Cds. Have to buy locally and that means I have to compromise on my choice of equipment. I can't afford to lose a couple of thousand dollars. But who can? Hope things work out for you. Best regards, Russ
                      Russ

Comment

• Gremal
                        • Apr 2007

Thanks Russ. I have had very good luck up until now, and this could have been easily avoided if the seller simply took more care packing or double-boxing the sub. Even if I don't get any compensation for the damage, I still consider this a good purchase. It functions flawlessly and in my room, sounds much better than my old sub (isn't sound what this is all about?) and the only really obvious damage (the heatsinks) are totally out of view.

I often prefer to buy speakers used because with this level of gear, most owners take excellent care of their speakers. They come broken in...no pun intended.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                          Super Senior Member
                          • Mar 2005

Hey,
                          Yea I just called UPS and told them what the deal was with the amp, I informed them that it was damaged, and it was insured.

If your happy with it, keep it. If not, get your money back and look for a mint one. Just dont wait too long, I called UPS right after the amp was delivered.

I don't know why they want to have you send the unit out, I informed them of the value of the amp, the weight, and it would be best if somone looked at it.

Good luck, keep us updated!

Any pics?
                          B&W

Comment

• Gremal
                            • Apr 2007

Well, the seller thankfully saw the error of his ways and has agreed to refund $450, which would let me get a new heatsink and grille. Here are some pics. From the front, you really can't tell anything is wrong.

Here is the total packing the seller used to ship the sub:

Here is the most visible cosmetic damage.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                              Super Senior Member
                              • Jan 2006

Well, the seller thankfully saw the error of his ways and has agreed to refund $450 ...
                              Great news!
                              :T

Comment

• crowland
                                • May 2007

I had the same thing happen with a very, very nice Ramirez classical guitar that was shipped via UPS. I have to laugh about it today because there was a giant foot print through the box where you could make out the brand of the boot that the driver was wearing when he stepped on my box to get to another package. And Racecar Driver is so, so right; UPS does have smokinest hot adjusters as well as others not in positions that relate to loading and or driving.

All is well today. I just don't trust them.

Comment

• akhter
                                  • Jun 2005

I say pocket the 450, and get a pair of heavy duty pliers and straighten the heatsink fins and you should be fine

Comment

• ti33er
                                    • Apr 2004

Probably a bit late, but I'd take her down to a good automobile panel beater and then a French Polisher - sure these guys have many tricks to restore her to her original glory!
                                    "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

• ti33er
                                      • Apr 2004

PS. Just bought myself an ASW800 today so scouring the forums.
                                      "...if it's too loud, you're too old!"

Comment

Working...
                                      Searching...Please wait.
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                      Search Result for "|||"