X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Guy
    • Jan 2006

Advice for 802D, Mac 501 and Krell 280p

I desperately seek advice as I have an opportunity to purchase 2 x MC501s at a bargain price (30% off list). Based on all the info on this site the 501s seem to match well with the 802Ds.

Hard question but do you guys think that my krell 280p preamp will work well with MC501 + 802Ds or does Mcintosh need to be used with Mcintosh for best results.

Secondally is it worth changing my interconnects to balanced even though the cable runs are very short. I was under the impression that balanced only makes a difference on long cable runs. Can anyone offer further advice.

Cheers, Guy.
  • jack d
    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Guy
    I desperately seek advice as I have an opportunity to purchase 2 x MC501s at a bargain price (30% off list). Based on all the info on this site the 501s seem to match well with the 802Ds.

Hard question but do you guys think that my krell 280p preamp will work well with MC501 + 802Ds or does Mcintosh need to be used with Mcintosh for best results.

Secondally is it worth changing my interconnects to balanced even though the cable runs are very short. I was under the impression that balanced only makes a difference on long cable runs. Can anyone offer further advice.

Cheers, Guy.
    Since you asked:

I use the 501s with my 802Ds and a Meridian G68 processor and it sounds great (try the 501s on the 4 ohm taps). So my answer would be that it is not a problem to mix amps and processors. Others will tell you not to mix. So, as usual, you have to listen and decide for yourself.

Re: Balanced interconnects: Unlikely that you will notice any difference for a short run. I didn't do an A/B with my current set up but I did it both ways with a Mac/Arcam combo and couldn't tell the difference.

Comment

• Guy
      • Jan 2006

Thanks for the response.

Comment

• DeepEndX
        • Feb 2005

I use Krell 750mcx power amplifier and conrad johnson 14 preamp. Conrad johnson tames Krell's brightness and it also brings warmth and thickness to the music.

RH

Comment

• Guy
          • Jan 2006

Originally posted by DeepEndX
          I use Krell 750mcx power amplifier and conrad johnson 14 preamp. Conrad johnson tames Krell's brightness and it also brings warmth and thickness to the music.

RH
          Yes I am worried that using a matching Krell power amp will cause brightness so I am looking at the MACs especially since I can get a good deal on a pair.

I'll try before I buy.

Comment

• KEF
            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Guy
            Yes I am worried that using a matching Krell power amp will cause brightness so I am looking at the MACs especially since I can get a good deal on a pair.

I'll try before I buy.
            I am currently using a FPB 300cx and a KAV-280p with the 802Ds and do not believe them to be bright. I have had a lot of people over as well to listen and none have commented on this subject (which is good).

I think the diamond tweeter has come a long way to taming the "bright" sound of the AL tweeter.

That said I am also going to play with the front end of my system to see how things can be altered a bit.

Cheers,
            Keith

Comment

• misterdoggy
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

Hey Guy,

I have 802d's and have a pair of 501's coming with the McIntosh Tube preamp C2200. This tube preamp has bypass for HT, and phono which the tubes don't come on if not in use.

I went for this combo because the preamp will hopefully provide that tube feeling we are all searching for.

I can provide a report hopefully by the end of the week on this combo !!

Comment

• Guy
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                Hey Guy,

I have 802d's and have a pair of 501's coming with the McIntosh Tube preamp C2200. This tube preamp has bypass for HT, and phono which the tubes don't come on if not in use.

I went for this combo because the preamp will hopefully provide that tube feeling we are all searching for.

I can provide a report hopefully by the end of the week on this combo !!
                I too should have my MACs next week as I have decided to make the purchase. I can't see any reason why they will not work well with the Krell but hey if not then the C2200 may be on the list in the future.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

Guy,

I've had Krell Amps and found them too bright for my tastes. That doesn't mean it might be the same for their preamps.

Also maybe the Mac/Krell Combo might be just right. A little brightness mixed in could just do the trick.

Just gonna have to play with it and see how it sounds. The proof is in the pudding

Comment

• Guy
                    • Jan 2006

Originally posted by KEF
                    I am currently using a FPB 300cx and a KAV-280p with the 802Ds and do not believe them to be bright. I have had a lot of people over as well to listen and none have commented on this subject (which is good).

I think the diamond tweeter has come a long way to taming the "bright" sound of the AL tweeter.

That said I am also going to play with the front end of my system to see how things can be altered a bit.

Cheers,
                    Keith
                    Perhaps people who have said that Krell preamp/ power amp combos are bright may have other components in the system that are showing their weakness.

I will have a lok at the Krell power amps if the MAC deal does not happen.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                      Super Senior Member
                      • May 2005

Originally posted by Guy
                      Perhaps people who have said that Krell preamp/ power amp combos are bright may have other components in the system that are showing their weakness.

Guy,

Question of taste. Some like their Mexican food spicey and some don't like it all.

Its what makes the world go round.

Comment

• KEF
                        • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Guy

I enjoy it, perhaps you won't - I suppose it depends on the sound you like.

When I was auditioning my Pre Amps, I tried a Rotel RC-1070, a Bryston BP26 (I believe), a VTL TL5.5 (for the tubes) and a few others, including the Krell KAV-280p.

My salesman, who helped me with all of these, was really pushing the VTL, as it was his personal choice, and his home reference pre.

I had a friend over and we had a listening session, and basically I felt that this particular tube amp took all the sparkle off female vocals (Norah Jones, Diana Krall, Tracy Chapman), the Bryston did a good job, but I simply liked the Krell the best. The VTL had that laid back sound people talk about, but IMO there is a point where you're so laid back, you're falling over.

Now I am looking for a new Source and considering the Cary 303/300 simply because I'd like to have the option of playing with tubes if I so choose, and having the option of flipping from SS to Tube is interesting -

But I'll demo it and compare it to a few others - if it sound good to me I'll go with it.

Cheers,
                        Keith

Comment

• earwit
                          • Jun 2006

Krell is wonderful hi-end equipement, it does not match well with B&W's

I'm working with 802d's, Mac amps, and Anthem D2 pre-amp
                          with amazing results...

You are correct do worry about balanced cables, if you are only using short runs..

Bob

Comment

• KEF
                            • Aug 2004

Originally posted by earwit
                            Krell is wonderful hi-end equipement, it does not match well with B&W's

I'm working with 802d's, Mac amps, and Anthem D2 pre-amp
                            with amazing results...

You are correct do worry about balanced cables, if you are only using short runs..

Bob
                            In your opinin, of course.

KEF

Comment

• Guy
                              • Jan 2006

As already mentioned here equipment chioces is very subjective so I will ask if I can demo the MACs with my equip before purchasing.
                              I had a B&W dealer say to me that MAC + B&W donot match. I don't know if his opinion was subjective or was he just trying to push me the stuff he sells (Electrocompaniet & Classe) so it is pleasing to get unbiased info here.

Comment

• KEF
                                • Aug 2004

Originally posted by Guy
                                As already mentioned here equipment chioces is very subjective so I will ask if I can demo the MACs with my equip before purchasing.
                                I had a B&W dealer say to me that MAC + B&W donot match. I don't know if his opinion was subjective or was he just trying to push me the stuff he sells (Electrocompaniet & Classe) so it is pleasing to get unbiased info here.

FWIW, I live between two very nice B&W dealers, one pairs MACs and Classe with B&W, the other mostly Krell gear - I don't think you can go wrong either way.

Best of luck,
                                KEF

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"