X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Rob72
    • Dec 2005

Classe vs Mcintosh and 802D

Hi All,

I know this has been talked about off and on but I was wondering what some of your thoughts are about choosing a power and pre amp setup from one of these companies.

I just received my new beloved 802D's and am looking to upgrade my amps which are currently the Rotel 1095/68 combo. My setup is going towards 50/50 HT and 2ch listening. I am a huge Spectral Audio fan but fear they may not be the perfect match for my 802D's (based on the assumption that I want the system to be HT and 2 channel) so I have started looking at monoblocks from Mac (the 501's) and Classe (the CA-M400'S) and a pre amp processor from one of the two.

I just listened to a full Classe setup last night...CA-2200/CP-500/CD-100 which was really nice. Classe has done a really nice job on their new Delta Line.

Having said that has anyone tried the Classe monoblocks vs Mac 501's? What do people think of the LCD feature on the Classe? I want to keep my new setup for a while and am curious whether or not the LCD is a good thing to invest in?

In terms of Mac I have heard the 402 but not the 501's. Any comments on these?

Finally has anyone heard both setups with the 802D's.

Love to hear your comments.
  • Rob72
    • Dec 2005

no comments?

Comment

• jericho
      • Dec 2004

I've got a pair of 1201 Mac's on the 800D and a 501 on my HTM-1D.It's a very nice setup!! :W

Comment

• ED K
        • Apr 2005

amps for 802Ds

I had a Mc402 amp running the 802Ds, tried a 200 watt/ch Classe. Really no difference. Then I went to a pair of Bryston 7B SST monoblocks. WHAT a difference. The bass came out of them like you could not believe. You may wahnt to give them a try. I am VERY happy eiyh the 802D/Bryston combo
        Those who know it all know less than those who don't

Comment

• dortiz
          • Mar 2005

Tried both and I stuck with the Classe Cam 400s.

If you search theres some discussion out there.

Comment

• Rob72
            • Dec 2005

Hi all,

Thanks for the comments. It will be a tough decision. I just came back from a dealer who had me test the Mac 501 and 207 vs a full classe lineup. 5200/300/100

They were both great but different. Bigger soundstage on the Mac gear and better vocals on the Classe line.

Doritz, did you find a big difference in the jump from the 2200 to the monoblocks. I did not compare monoblocks from classe against monoblocks from Mac.

Also how do you find the LCD screen? Do you miss the traditional button setup?

Thanks

Comment

• franklin_ron
              • Feb 2006

Hi Rob,

I working through the same questions. Simular system, except I currently have Krell KAV series. I am also looking at using a digital (Nuforce 9's) and Biamping. Also, looking at the Mc402. Good luck

Comment

• stewfoo
                • Jul 2005

Rob, I can speak to the "LCD screen"..... It is actually TFT. I have the ssp-300 and I love it so far. I have not fully set it up yet because of shortness of time. But, I love the display. It allows for video preview before switching which is pretty cool. It is very easy to set up as well.
                I also bought the CA-3200, which I heard on 802d's. They sounded great.

If I were to describe the difference between the CA-M400 and the Mac monos (which I heard compared on 803d), I would describe the Cam as quicker more agile and detailed, yet very smooth..... The Mac Mono (400w, not sure of the model), was a bit more rounded off.... kinda laid back yet very powerful. When listening to the "audio experience" demo cd I particularly heard this difference on the Poncho Sanchez (pardon me if that is wrong, working from memory). IT was cool latin jazz that was amazing. I love detailed Mids and Highs and quick punchy bass. This is what you get with Classe.

Also, for me, WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) is important also. The classe gear is quite simply stunning to the eyes. It is gorgeous gear. The Mac stuff is catering to the olde garde.. I mean, if they upgraded the look of their gear to something that belongs in this millenium, they would alienate a very loyal following. Also, that is investment grade (if that is even possible) Kit.

The only downside to me so far about Classe is getting used to their Volume control "pontentiometer" (sp). It quickly goes through the lower decibles.... But, decellerates through the critical listening range. I am told this is a benefit. But, I really haven't spent any time with it to give it a chance. I hooked it all up. Made a few adjustments... and got on a plane. I will tune it up this weekend.
                Stew

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"