X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • quan325i
    • Apr 2005

Mac 501s or Krell 350mcx for 801n?

I'm currently driving my 801N with a pair of MC501s and they sounds lack of bass that I'm looking for. Will a switch to a pair of MCX 350 from Krell give me the extra tight bass i'm looking for without breaking the bank? Thanks.

QN
  • htsteve
    Super Senior Member
    • Sep 2004

I would think that MC501's would be able to drive the 800N's pretty well. I am driving 802D's with an MC402 with very good results.

Room acoustics play a definite role in bass response. My bass response was quite good in my room. Then I added bass traps behind the 802D's. This helped quite a bit. Bass depth and quality was definitely improved.

What is your room layout like?

Hope this helps.

Comment

• DeepEndX
      • Feb 2005

What kind of music do you listen? MCX 350 will definite have a stronger punch in the bass, but you will loose the silkiness of Macs.

Comment

• Orb
        • Aug 2008

Apologies if this is wrong information, but can you also set the ohm tap?
        If so I would had thought setting to 4ohm made sense.
        Cheers
        Orb

Comment

• gross30
          • Jun 2005

On some of the Mac's you can utilize the ohm taps. I run my 800n's on the 4ohm taps on the 1201's. I still run subs as well, as I am a bass freak....lolol

Comment

• htsteve
            Super Senior Member
            • Sep 2004

I also run my Mac's on the 4 Ohm taps. That was the best response in my system.
            Last edited by htsteve; 08 May 2010, 18:24 Saturday.

Comment

• jericho
              • Dec 2004

I run Mac's on the 8 Ohm tap. 1201's with 800D's, 501's with 802D's

Comment

• gross30
                • Jun 2005

Hey Jericho, not to hi-jack the thread, but how did you find the 8 ohm taps on your 1201's. I see your running 2 subs as well. I am using two DD-15's. I really like the bass response in the larger room. Maybe with the 800d's there would be a significance. I must try the 8ohm for fun...lol. I really got into the groove with the 4ohm taps and just enjoyed the sound so much I never bothered with the 8's.
                HT Steve, I as well found the 4 ohm taps to be where I wanted to be for listening. I seen a lot of people who all suggested the 4 ohms over the 8's. Did you try the 8's ?? Those 501's are an awesome set of mono's. Nice gear.

Comment

• quan325i
                  • Apr 2005

Has anyone tried to run the 501s on the 2ohm outputs?

QN

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                    • Jun 2006

Originally posted by quan325i
                    I'm currently driving my 801N with a pair of MC501s and they sounds lack of bass that I'm looking for. Will a switch to a pair of MCX 350 from Krell give me the extra tight bass i'm looking for without breaking the bank? Thanks.

QN
                    I had the same problem with N801's and S800's. Don't bother with amps, you already have good ones. Just add a sub. Bass response in my room was lacking and a sub was the only thing that helped.

Comment

• Pedro
                      • Jan 2006

I don´t know exactly how low is the impedance of N801, but from what i read it goes below 3ohms. So it´s a high demand current speaker, and i would think if a pair of 350MCX wouldnt output more power and more bass from them. They have big toroidal transformers and according to the specs should output 1400W@2ohms! Of course as mentioned by DeepEndX they should not have the smooth sound of Macs but they should sound neutral, coz we´re talking here a pair of amps which MSRP was around USD15K. Actually owning the 801D i´ve just tested them before with a simple Krell kav400xi. I know they don´t demand the same current as the N801, coz they don´t go below 4ohms, but even being drived by a 400W@4ohm integrated amp they can deliver strong bass for a 40m² room.

So i advise listening your N801 with these Krells monoblocks, you´d be surprise for your music taste :T

Comment

Working...
                      😀
                      😂
                      🥰
                      😘
                      🤢
                      😎
                      😞
                      😡
                      👍
                      👎
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"