X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NMG
    • Oct 2004

Timbre Matching Surrounds . . .

Is this a huge concern or is it more critical for the fronts and the center?

I upgraded my old Paradigm Studio 80's to to B&W 703's and I'm thinking about expanding my 2 channel system to a 5 channel setup and was wondering if I should just use the 80's in the rear instead of buying 705's. My 80's are still in great condition and they are a 2.5 way speaker in a tower design. The 705's would be a 2 way standmount.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Thanks in advance!

p.s. I put this in the Home Theater forum as well but I figured it would be relevant here also.
  • KRC
    • Aug 2004

This is a good question for alot of opinions. This goes right along with biwiring. Unless you are playing alot of music where the full range is critical, I would not think it would be that critical for movie soundtracks. I asked my B&W dealer about this same issue and he said it was very important to timbre match the surround and centre speakers, my first thought was, why so you can sell a pair of surrounds and centre speaker from the same manufacturer. I have a pair of 703's for L/R, LCR 60 centre and 600's for surround. I can hear a quality difference from L/R compared to centre that is why when I upgrade I am looking at the HTM3 but I can hear no issues from my surrounds. I suppose if the volume were to get really loud I might hear the problems start as they are not in the same quality category, but to date I have not heard any issues. Maybe it comes to bragging rights to tell stereo pals that you have $5000.00 surround speakers just to watch their eyes gloss over and start to drool.

Kevin

Comment

• hifiguymi
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by NMG
      Is this a huge concern or is it more critical for the fronts and the center?

I upgraded my old Paradigm Studio 80's to to B&W 703's and I'm thinking about expanding my 2 channel system to a 5 channel setup and was wondering if I should just use the 80's in the rear instead of buying 705's. My 80's are still in great condition and they are a 2.5 way speaker in a tower design. The 705's would be a 2 way standmount.
      As a short term solution the Studio 80's will work fine. If it were me I would get a set of matching surrounds at some point however. There is enough front to back music, sound effects, and even voices once in a while in most newer movies that you can notice different voicing in the rear channels. I have sold and set up a lot of systems and it's pretty evident when there is a different brand speaker in the rear. I would try to stick to the same series as much as possible as well. The drivers are much closer in design to one another in keeping with the matched voicing and the sensitivity will be closer as well.

Eric

Comment

• NMG
        • Oct 2004

Thanks for the responses guys. If I decide to expand it to 5 channel and use the Studio 80's, I would still plan on going to B&W's in the rear at some point in time. It would be a temporary solution.

The other factor is cost. By using my 80's in the short term, I would have a little more flexibility in regards to where I could allocate the rest of my budget.

Comment

• PhotoRobot
          • Feb 2005

I have to agree with Eric.

I was in the situation where I had purchased outside of my budget to get a pre-amp, amp, N804's and HTM Centre channel. I simply couldn't afford rears. I kept going back to the dealer and tried to purchase some 6 series for the rear in a temporary setting. He kept advising against it.

A friend of mine upgraded his rear settings (he has a similar front speaker setup) and it was amazing. With the matching rear speakers the timbre and balanced room create a seamless experience. You are really enveloped in the sound. Other brands stick out so you really notice the rears in music and movies. It's really hard to describe how seamless it sounds. Before I found that they stuck out like sore thumbs and took away from the overall experience. It was more like an effects channel whereas timbre matching and proper balancing create an experience.

Now only if I could get my PRE-PRO fixed and actually listen to my new N805 rears.

PRobot

Comment

• chin kwan
            • Jul 2006

Beg to differ on this point..

I started out with CDM-CNT, 7NT and DM303 as I couldn't afford CDM-1NT or CDM-SNT for the surrounds...

Then I upgraded my front trio to Nautilus HTM1 and N803 while leaving the DM303s as surround (they were mounted on the wall so I was not crazy about removing them asap)

Then I finally bite the bullet and purchased SCM1 to match the HTM1/N803 (plus ASW4000) Had to do minor renovation to the room.. cut up the wall and install 2X4 to ensure solid mounting for the much heavier SCM1 (in comparison to DM303)

Seriously.. DM303 is 1/6 the price of a pair of SCM1.. I think the differences are overblown by the dealer.. hoping to get you to spend some money..I was curious and finally bot the SCM1.. I don't regret it but money can be spent more effectively elsewhere..

The biggest difference in my opinion is that SCM1 can go a lot louder without overloading.. I remember tomb raider 2 final scene.. the DM303 will bottom out its woofer as it could not keep up with the Nautilus Trio..But that depends how far you have your surrounds from your seat.. i.e. further, they need to be calibrated louder to match the fronts..

Comment

• PhotoRobot
              • Feb 2005

Well, this logic strikes me strange...

There are two ways of approaching a surround system. Either you want effects channels or you want a surround system.

You admit you don't regret the install of the SCM1, but didn't receive the satisfaction you expected. The DM303 were 1/6' the price. Which one do you prefer?

Louder is function of the amplifier, pre-processor and speaker. Clarity, attenuation, phase and balance are a function of the manufacture of the speaker. It is why you bought your HTM1 and 803.

If the rear is less utilitized than the front this is another reason, but you are essentially choosing between a SFX channel or an enveloping experience.

To each is own and what sounds best to you.

Comment

• chin kwan
                • Jul 2006

Not to start a flame war or anything..

Seriously.. the money is better spent in getting elsewhere then getting surrounds..

I mean the SCM1 was an improvement over the DM303.. Better timbre match, a touch more coherent and the woofer does not bottom out as easy.

But if I have other areas that needed upgrading, getting DM303 is a perfectly for the time being.. (maybe the paradigms in question do not match the 703s)

I guess the best thing is for the buyer to visit the local B&W Dealer and have him swap surrounds.. say DM303, 601S3 then 705 and decide if the difference is enough to warrant the extra outlay.

Cheers..

Comment

• NMG
                  • Oct 2004

Hey everyone,

I've made a decision that if I decide to expand to a surround system, I'll pickup 705's and go that route. It's also likely to provide me with additional WAF as they will look less imposing than towers at the back . . . LOL

Comment

Working...
                  Searching...Please wait.
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                  Search Result for "|||"