X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShadowZA
    Super Senior Member
    • Jan 2006

Could this work: RMB-1075 + RMB-1092?

I'm planning a 2006 upgrade and am wondering if using two different spec power amplifiers could provide a workable solution.

Presently I have an RMB-1075 driving 2 B&W Nautilus 804's (fronts), 2 B&W CM2's (surrounds) and 1 B&W CMC centre speaker.

My plan, for this year, is to purchase an upcoming RMB-1092 amplifier (500 watt x 2) to drive 2 B&W 803D's (fronts). I'd use my present RMB-1075 amplifier (120 watt x 5) to drive the 2 B&W 804's (surrounds) and the centre B&W HTM3S.

I may or may not decide to upgrade my pre-amp, the RSP-976.

My audio/movie preference is 80% audio & 20% movie. I prefer my audio (including DVD music) to be a 2 channel (plus sub) experience.

Is this workable? Would the sound from the 2 front speakers be noticeably unbalanced in relation to the centre & surrounds in movies?

All comments appreciated. Thanks.
  • grit
    • Jan 2005

Should be. Only pitfall I see is underpowering the center channel for movies. You might consider the matching 500 watt monoblock for that application and a 1070 for your rear channels (and selling the 1075 to compensate) in the long run.

Comment

• JDH
      • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ShadowZA
      I'm planning a 2006 upgrade and am wondering if using two different spec power amplifiers could provide a workable solution.

Presently I have an RMB-1075 driving 2 B&W Nautilus 804's (fronts), 2 B&W CM2's (surrounds) and 1 B&W CMC centre speaker.

My plan, for this year, is to purchase an upcoming RMB-1092 amplifier (500 watt x 2) to drive 2 B&W 803D's (fronts). I'd use my present RMB-1075 amplifier (120 watt x 5) to drive the 2 B&W 804's (surrounds) and the centre B&W HTM3S.

I may or may not decide to upgrade my pre-amp, the RSP-976.

My audio/movie preference is 80% audio & 20% movie. I prefer my audio (including DVD music) to be a 2 channel (plus sub) experience.

Is this workable? Would the sound from the 2 front speakers be noticeably unbalanced in relation to the centre & surrounds in movies?

All comments appreciated. Thanks.

Should be OK, I bi-wire my mains from an RB-1080 an use the RMB-1075 centre and surrounds in a 6.1 setup. also I bi-amp the centre using 2ch from the RMB-1075, I guess you could also consider bi-amping the centre with 2 channels of the RMB-1075.
      Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• ShadowZA
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

Thanks grit & JDH. You've given me some info to consider. The 1070 is bridgeable, which can also make for some interesting usage (sell the 1075 & buy 2 1070's - use one to drive the surrounds at 130 watt each & bridge the other to drive the centre). I also like the idea of bi-amping the centre ... at least an extra 1075 channel can be put to use.

Comment

• JDH
          • Sep 2004

Originally posted by ShadowZA
          Thanks grit & JDH. You've given me some info to consider. The 1070 is bridgeable, which can also make for some interesting usage (sell the 1075 & buy 2 1070's - use one to drive the surrounds at 130 watt each & bridge the other to drive the centre). I also like the idea of bi-amping the centre ... at least an extra 1075 channel can be put to use.
          Bridging will introduce greater distortion and not really suitable for speakers below 8 ohms.
          Bits of HT & 2ch Stuff: Rotel, Pro-ject, Oppo, Bel Canto, Elektra Audio, Benchmark, Panasonic, DSPeaker, Epson, Slim Devices, Belkin, Philips Pronto, Harmony, URC, Sennheisser, AKG, HTPC under development, KEF, Whatmough, Definitive Technology & Pardigm Signiture speakers

Comment

• ShadowZA
            Super Senior Member
            • Jan 2006

Didn't know that.
            Ta

Comment

• PewterTA
              • Nov 2004

The real problem I see is using the B&W HTM3S instead of the HTM2D. You're not going to have a seemless front sound stage if you mix the 3S with the 803Ds....You will pretty easily tell the center does not match.
              Digital Audio makes me Happy.
              -Dan

Comment

• ShadowZA
                Super Senior Member
                • Jan 2006

Yup, that's the problem. Even though I mostly listen to audio using only the fronts & sub ... with a new high definition format (and most likely even better audio) on the horizon my old habit may change and thus it makes sense to get sorted right away and get the HTM2D.

Comment

Working...
                Searching...Please wait.
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                Search Result for "|||"