800 Series need ceiling acoustic panels?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dmccombs
    • Sep 2006

800 Series need ceiling acoustic panels?

I have added bass traps in the corners of my room and I have panels on the side walls for 1st reflection points.

In my reading, I have seen that some speakers are aided by the use of panels on the ceiling. The info indicates that speakers that have tweeters with a high range of dispersal, need panels on the ceiling.

So, do the 804s and 804s have a "wide dispersal", where ceiling panels help to a great extent?

Thanks,
    Darrell
  • RobP
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Nov 2004

Just remember that first reflection points happen on more than just the side walls. The floor and the ceiling are culprits as well, usually the floor is taken care of by furniture, carpet etc, but the ceiling is usually overlooked and left bare.
    Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• dmccombs
      • Sep 2006

Uh, yeah, that's why I asked the question. Did you read just the Topic title or did you read the text post too? :lol:

Comment

• RobP
        Ultra Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

guess I really didn't answer your question did I? :lol: , I would say yes, the 800 series tweeters do have a wide dispersion pattern, so your ceiling may benefit from the use of panels.
        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• dmccombs
          • Sep 2006

I thought maybe you had started into the Friday evening beer and that I should pop one too, to understand your answer.

The second answer is much more helpful, thanks. :B

I was hoping to get the opposite reply, but that's just my lazy part talking (the 99% part).

Thanks,
          Darrell

Comment

• Race Car Driver
            Super Senior Member
            • Mar 2005

Yes.
            B&W

Comment

• RobP
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2004

Originally posted by dmccombs
              I thought maybe you had started into the Friday evening beer and that I should pop one too, to understand your answer.

The second answer is much more helpful, thanks. :B

I was hoping to get the opposite reply, but that's just my lazy part talking (the 99% part).

Thanks,
              Darrell
              :rofl:

They need to invent a lazy mans speaker, it produces no reflections, will set itself up automaticly in the correct spot, plus cool a 12 pack of beer.
              Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• dknightd
                • Mar 2006

Adding a ceiling panel helped my 703 alot. I assume the 804 would benefit as well.

Comment

• dmccombs
                  • Sep 2006

Soundgravy for President, or at least President of our favorite speaker company. ;x(

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                  :rofl:

They need to invent a lazy mans speaker, it produces no reflections, will set itself up automaticly in the correct spot, plus cool a 12 pack of beer.

Comment

• dmccombs
                    • Sep 2006

Thanks to all that posted.

It looks like I need to get a couple panels on the ceiling.

Comment

• RobP
                      Ultra Senior Member
                      • Nov 2004

Darrell, thanks for your vote of confidence! :T :lol:

What type of panels will you using? Absorptive or diffusive? I plan on doing some trials in my own setup with both types. Just wondering what you have tried or used on your reflection points on the walls.
                      Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• dmccombs
                        • Sep 2006

Robert,

I have been using absorptive panels from GIK Acoustics. Bryan and Glenn are great to work with. They have taken a look at my REW measurements and room pictures to help me make choices as to what panels and locations to try.

I have Tri-traps in the corners where I have lots of bass, 4" panels (244) in the corner with less bass, and 2" panels (242) for the 1st reflection points.

I have a difficult room with large windows on one side, and a opening to a dining room on the other. The panels have helped flaten the bass and improve the soundstage considerably.

I hear a tiny bit of brightness still, and figure it is the ceiling. It is so slight that it may not be worth dealing with, but then again a set of 3 panels from GIK is pretty cheap. It is more the labor (laziness factor) that makes me debate.

Regards,
                        Darrell

Comment

• Maverick71
                          • Nov 2006

I've been thinking about this issue myself. I was suggested accoustic ceiling panels from illsbruck, but don't quite know what to do. I can only go that route if they are visually appealing, ie, they *almost* look like the ceiling itself .

The ceiling is quite often overlooked and there's so much area to work with...

Mav

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"