X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mlammert
    • Dec 2007

DIY Acoustic Panels - "Transparent" Fabric Question

I am getting ready to build some DIY acoustic panels for my listening room. I am building 5 of these panels; one for a ceiling cloud and two on each side wall (one for first reflection point and one for second reflection point on each wall). I have tested this by hanging some blankets and quilts at the reflection points and the results were very positive.

I am using Roxul Safe 'n' Sound for the absorption material. Still trying to decide on fabric to wrap them with. Might use calico or burlap from local Joann Fabric.

I am basing these generally off of these ideas:

ACOUSTIC PANEL BUILD Cheap to make, Approximately $40 for a large panel  Free standing & movable  Wall mountable for permanent installat...

I am also building "reflection" panels for my Statement speakers that I built (http://www.htguide.com/forum/showthr...s-Build-Thread). The Statement speakers have open mids so that they reflect off the back and side walls. My issue is my side walls are irregular and absorbent, so I am going to make "reflection" panels to place on the side walls. I have tested this using plain plywood and the improvement is phenomenal - broader sound stage, more precise imaging, more 3d sound, etc.

My main question is, if I am using acoustically "transparent" fabric for the absorption panels, could I also cover the "reflection" panels with the fabric so that they all look the same?

My guess/hope would be yes since the fabric is suppose to let the sound go through it. So, my thinking is the sound should still "reflect." But, I was hoping to get some more sage advice from forum members.

Thanks!
  • wkhanna
    Grumpy Old Super Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

my 'best guess' is that any absorption would be so small as to be insignificant.....
    _

Bill

Practicing Curmudgeon & Audio Snob
    ....just an "ON" switch, Please!

FinleyAudio

Comment

• mlammert
      • Dec 2007

Thanks, Bill!

Does anyone have any recommendations or posts regarding fabric to wrap my panels in?

I have done multiple searches and the top fabric recommendations seem to be:
      burlap
      felt
      duck canvas/cloth
      jet set
      keepsake calico

Does anybody have any experience using any of the above materials? All the research that I have done point to all of the above being acoustically transparent.

I like the idea of burlap or keepsake calico so that I am not stuck with a solid color (at least burlap would have a texture to it). However, most of the burlap I can find is so open weave that I would either need two layers of it or I would need to put a solid fabric under it (which has been recommended a few times).

I just get nervous with the fabric as I don't know when I start loosing the "transparency" of it. I do the breath test but that seems so subjective to me.

Thanks again!

Comment

• Steve Manning
        • Dec 2006

You might want to look at these guys for some ideas with fabrics. http://www.gikacoustics.com/product/...c-by-the-yard/
        Hold on to your butts - It's about to get Musical!

Comment

• mlammert
          • Dec 2007

Thanks, Steve!

Unfortunately, $16.49 a yard is a bit more than I was looking to spend. I also need less than 8 yards.

I was trying to stick with fabric I could buy locally (at Joann Fabric). The fabrics I posted above can all be sourced locally.

Comment

Working...
          Searching...Please wait.
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
          There are no results that meet this criteria.
          Search Result for "|||"