805S in corner...need sound absorbing panels?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts
  • tboooe
    Senior Member
    • Jun 2005
    • 657

    #1

    805S in corner...need sound absorbing panels?

    Hi, my wife recently exercised her right of eminent domain and claimed my office/listening room. It is now the kids play room...my 2 ch system has been relegated to small rectangular area in the living room. This is where my problem arises. Due to the shape of the space (imagine a rectangular area 8x14 ft with one of the long sides open to the rest of the living room) both of my 805S speakers will have to be placed against one of the short sided walls. One of the speakers will actually be in the corner. I am concerned about sound reflection off the side and back wall. In addition, the listening area will also be against a wall (the other short side).

    I was planning on hanging a tapestry behind the listening position to help with reflection. Is this a good idea? More importantly, do I need sound absorbing panels behind the speakers and to the side of one of the speakers? If so, what name brands do people recommend? Are these panels expensive? Are they availalbe in different colors? As this will be in the living room, I need panels that are not too ugly or else they will not pass the WAF. I dont want to end in the garage like another poster(cruzer).

    thanks for the help.
  • misterdoggy
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005
    • 1418

    #2
    Make a little plan and post it so we can play with it

    Comment

    Related Topics

    Collapse

    • mlammert
      DIY Acoustic Panels - "Transparent" Fabric Question
      by mlammert
      I am getting ready to build some DIY acoustic panels for my listening room. I am building 5 of these panels; one for a ceiling cloud and two on each side wall (one for first reflection point and one for second reflection point on each wall). I have tested this by hanging some blankets and quilts at...
      11 February 2018, 22:10 Sunday
    • impala454
      Mirrors to help place panels?
      by impala454
      I'm a regular hackaday reader and saw this and thought it was interesting. What do you guys think?
      http://hackaday.com/2012/02/29/billi...oustic-panels/
      Here's the article if you can't get to hackaday:...
      01 March 2012, 09:21 Thursday
    • Pat
      DIY Sound Absorbing Panels
      by Pat
      I finished building some sound absorbing panels and thought I should share the results with everyone.

      I feel that they made a great improvment in the detail and clarity of my system.

      Basically I used the plans on TheAudioworx site but I did read Jon Risch's site too. I used...
      02 July 2002, 17:38 Tuesday
    • dmccombs
      800 Series need ceiling acoustic panels?
      by dmccombs
      I have added bass traps in the corners of my room and I have panels on the side walls for 1st reflection points.

      In my reading, I have seen that some speakers are aided by the use of panels on the ceiling. The info indicates that speakers that have tweeters with a high range of...
      23 March 2007, 15:56 Friday
    • stuofsci02
      My DIY Acoustic Panels
      by stuofsci02
      I have been working on my Basement setup for about 18 months now. It was an unfinished space.

      Recently I decided I would build my own acoustic wall panels to take out the first reflection points, and tame the room a little. I thought the room already sounded great, but whoooaaaa, what a...
      13 November 2011, 19:26 Sunday
    • Loading...
    • No more items.
    Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

      Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

      Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"