X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hpmax
    • Nov 2005

801 questions for anybody who can help

Hi,
    I've just come across an opportunity to pick up some 801's series II for a very reasonable sum.
    While earlier in my life I had more time to dedicate to pursuing my audiophile interests. All I wanted for christmas was a pair of 801's and some levinson monoblocks to go with them.

unfortunately I had not the time or the cash to keep up. I haven't kept up enough with too much of what's happened in the last decade.

Now life is slowing down a little and my means have improved enough to start playing again. I'd hate to miss a good opportunity, but also don't want to waste my cash if it's better spent elsewhere.

My question is how do the 801 series II stack up these days?
    What would be a reasonable amount for them?
    What's the new benchmark class?
    If I pick these up, best suggestions for what to drive them with?

Thanks for your help,

hp
    Last edited by hpmax; 27 November 2005, 23:54 Sunday. Reason: need to be more specific
    [FONT=Book Antiqua]HPMax
  • Aussie Geoff
    Super Senior Member
    • Oct 2003

hpmax,

It all depends on what is "very reasonable"... In terms of sound quality, while still good, the 801 series II are 2 generations behond the current B&W 800 series. So if you are in the USA I have no doubt that the B&W 802D at $12,000 is likely to seriously impress you and "blow away" the older 801s... However if the 801 II are (say) $2,000 second hand then, providing you have the amp to drive them and the space to house them you could have fun...

There is also a nice (but very expensive) crossover upgrade for them still available from Northcreek here http://www.northcreekmusic.com/801web.html

Happy thinking..

Geoff

Comment

Working...
    Searching...Please wait.
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
    There are no results that meet this criteria.
    Search Result for "|||"