X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jack d
    • Sep 2006

MC501s for 804S rears?

I don't know if this is going to sound totally nuts but here goes:

I just recently upgraded to three MC501s for my 802Ds and HTM1D. I was driving the 802Ds with an MC402 which I now use with my rear 804S speakers. I'm extremelly happy with the sound improvement up front compared to the MC402 (which, BTW, sounded really good).

I now have an opportunity to trade in the MC402 for full value and get a very good deal on two floor model MC501s (with full warranty) which I would use to drive the 804Ss.

I wonder if it is really worth it to match the 501s with the 804Ss especially since this is only for rear channels. BTW I do listen to multi-channel music but mostly the rears are for HT.

It is really tempting me because it is such a good deal and having in mind the improvement that the 501s brought to the front sound stage, but it will still cost me some additional cash.

Any reactions?

Thanks.
  • scanido
    • Apr 2006

i say go for it! You can never have enough power.

Comment

• jayhawk75
      • Apr 2006

you are my hero. i hope you are creating a wall of 501 vs spreading around the room. i also hope that you have budgeted for the necessary dimmers on your light switches so that you can visit dreamland when you need to. i also assume that you brought the contractor in to put in the necessary floor supports.

Comment

• jack d
        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by jayhawk75
        you are my hero. i hope you are creating a wall of 501 vs spreading around the room. i also hope that you have budgeted for the necessary dimmers on your light switches so that you can visit dreamland when you need to. i also assume that you brought the contractor in to put in the necessary floor supports.
        That's funny! So I guess you think I'm a nutter?

Comment

• jack d
          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by scanido
          i say go for it! You can never have enough power.
          Well I'm not so sure. I suppose it won't do any harm but will it help?

Comment

• CJM
            • Feb 2007

Duuude. You are my hero too.
            You're at a level so far beyond me, my head is about to explode.
            I can just imagine telling my wife about this system, and then running for my life as she chases me with a rolling pin exclaiming, "Don't you even think about it!"

Comment

• Fife
              • Apr 2004

Financially - not worth it
              Sonically - not worth it
              Visually - worth it

Comment

• johan
                • Dec 2004

Go for it! And trade in those 804's for a pair of 800D's for front and move those 802D's to the back while you're at it!!!

Comment

• jericho
                  • Dec 2004

Watch out 501's on those 804's, I've got 501's on 802D's and already had a problem with the bass speakers.Those 501's peak 700watt at 8 Ohm

Comment

• jack d
                    • Sep 2006

Originally posted by jericho
                    Watch out 501's on those 804's, I've got 501's on 802D's and already had a problem with the bass speakers.Those 501's peak 700watt at 8 Ohm
                    You mean you blew out your bass driver?! I know that there is no consensus on which taps provide the best sound but I've found that I prefer the sound using the 4 ohm taps.

Comment

• jack d
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by johan
                      Go for it! And trade in those 804's for a pair of 800D's for front and move those 802D's to the back while you're at it!!!
                      Well to try to put some logic into this , there was something in the back of my mind that down the road I might upgrade the 804Ss and then I would be set with the additional two 501s......

Comment

• Aldo
                        • Sep 2005

I think it's better if you upgrade the speakers instead of the amps!
                        Speaking about the 804's!

Comment

• jack d
                          • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Aldo
                          I think it's better if you upgrade the speakers instead of the amps!
                          Speaking about the 804's!
                          True but that would be a lot more expensive and my local BW dealer is not offering 30 percent off 2 802Ds or 800Ds like I would be getting on the 501s.

The deal I'm being offered would mean that I could get two more 501s for less than an additional $2k after the trade in of the 402! That's why it's so hard for me to turn it down.

Comment

• jim777
                            • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Fife
                            Financially - not worth it
                            Sonically - not worth it
                            Visually - worth it
                            I'll second that.

I would also go for the 800D upgrade before the 501 upgrade (but this is a little different because you have a deal).

In that case (800D+802D), the 5 501's would be worth it

Comment

• jack d
                              • Sep 2006

Originally posted by jim777
                              I'll second that.

I would also go for the 800D upgrade before the 501 upgrade (but this is a little different because you have a deal).

In that case (800D+802D), the 5 501's would be worth it
                              Yeah and that might be something I would do down the road (or at least upgrade to all 802s). So maybe grabbing the 501s now might make some sense.

Comment

• jayhawk75
                                • Apr 2006

again dont think twice at that deal again it has been years since i have seen something like 5 501's stacked in a rack. i can remember going into david beatty's in kc in the 70's when he had his mac only room and when he had the lights dimmed, it was almost enough to make you wet you pants. as for the speaker upgrade.......... again dont spread them around the room you dont need to have your eyes wandering. make sure that you post lots of pictures so i have to change my pants.

Comment

• jack d
                                  • Sep 2006

Well I just couldn't resist so I've got two more 501s coming either today or tomorrow. I still feel a bit silly but it was just too good of a deal..... ops: I'm going to have to figure out how to rack them. I don't think my existing rack shelves can handle the weight.

Comment

• Fife
                                    • Apr 2004

Originally posted by jack d
                                    Well I just couldn't resist so I've got two more 501s coming either today or tomorrow. I still feel a bit silly but it was just too good of a deal..... ops: I'm going to have to figure out how to rack them. I don't think my existing rack shelves can handle the weight.
                                    I too would feel silly but in a cool way. :T

I would never put those 501 monsters in rack shelves. Anything weighing more than 70 pounds deserves to be on a dedicated amp stand IMO.

Comment

• jack d
                                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by Fife
                                      I too would feel silly but in a cool way. :T

I would never put those 501 monsters in rack shelves. Anything weighing more than 70 pounds deserves to be on a dedicated amp stand IMO.
                                      Not sure what you mean by a "dedicated" amp stand. I will probably end up having a rack made for the 501s that matches the other equipment furniture I have, which is made by DiamondCase. It seems to me the main concern is to make sure the shelves can handle the weight.

Comment

• jayhawk75
                                        • Apr 2006

pictures please..... and remember floor has to be able to support rack...

Comment

• jack d
                                          • Sep 2006

pictures please..... and remember floor has to be able to support rack...
                                          It's going to take a while for pictures because I'm going to have to have a rack custom made. I already have Diamond case furniture and want to match what I have but to get 5 501s in one of their racks it has to be made larger and the shelves reinforced. It will take a few months for them to make it and ship it to me!!!

For the time being, I will have three 501s sitting on top of a credenza and the other two inside, so I suppose not a very impressive looking arrrangement.

I'm not worried about the floor, it's a thick slab of concrete. I used to have a 125 gallon saltwater aquarium which was much heavier than the 5 501s (about 1000 pounds) and it didn't end up on the floor below.

Comment

• jayhawk75
                                            • Apr 2006

i note the 2 802d, 2 804s, 1 htmd1, 5 501. what sub if any are you using? do you have center on floor or.... what sources do you use? i would be interested to find out. i plan on upgrading to htmd2 but have to finish wall and buy wall hung plasma to get necessary height above center. rumor has it b&w will be coming out with new subs(different drivers) this year so i am still in that decision making process.

Comment

• jack d
                                              • Sep 2006

i note the 2 802d, 2 804s, 1 htmd1, 5 501. what sub if any are you using? do you have center on floor or.... what sources do you use? i would be interested to find out. i plan on upgrading to htmd2 but have to finish wall and buy wall hung plasma to get necessary height above center. rumor has it b&w will be coming out with new subs(different drivers) this year so i am still in that decision making process.
                                              I have an SVS PB-12 Ultra/2 SW. I had a BW SW with my 600 series set up and I wasn't that impressed.

I have the HTM1D on a platform from Mapleshade on the ground under my plasma.

Sources: Olive Opus Music server, Denon 3910 (for SACD, DVDA)

Comment

• jayhawk75
                                                • Apr 2006

very nice. did you ever try raising the center so that the tweeter is closer to the height of 802 tweeters and see what it did for sound stage? your sub placement is front corner,side or rear corner?

Comment

• jack d
                                                  • Sep 2006

very nice. did you ever try raising the center so that the tweeter is closer to the height of 802 tweeters and see what it did for sound stage? your sub placement is front corner,side or rear corner?
                                                  I really can't raise it any more given the plasma just above it. And, after all, BW says it's made to match the 800, 801 and 802Ds and sit on the floor which means that they know the tweeters are not going to be at the same level. In any case, I've tilted the front up a bit.

Regarding the soundstage, things have really solidified since I installed the Meridian G68 processor. It really allows you to dial in the imaging.

Sub is to the side:

And a photo of three of the 501s. Another is inside the cabinet and the 5th is off to the side for the time being until I get a rack made to hold all 5.

Last edited by jack d; 01 March 2007, 08:53 Thursday.

Comment

• johan
                                                    • Dec 2004

Looks great!!
                                                    Have you ever considered/tried Mac for front-end?

Comment

• jack d
                                                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by johan
                                                      Looks great!!
                                                      Have you ever considered/tried Mac for front-end?
                                                      I'm not sure what you mean. I've got 5 501s, one for each speaker. What more could I do at this point?

Comment

• jim777
                                                        • Mar 2005

I think johan means something like the new MX136 A/V Control Center.

Comment

• jack d
                                                          • Sep 2006

I think johan means something like the new MX136 A/V Control Center.
                                                          Oh. I see. I had considered switching from my Arcam to a Mac controller at the same time that I upgraded the amps to the Macs but my dealer (who sells both Mac and Meridian gear) convinced me to try the Meridian G68 and I have not looked back since then.

I was considering one of the Macs that only does audio.; I have no need for video switching or processing since I have a Crystalio II to handle that in my system.

Comment

• jim777
                                                            • Mar 2005

Even though I'm a big McFan, I think that you made a great choice and you have an awesome system!

Comment

• jack d
                                                              • Sep 2006

Even though I'm a big McFan, I think that you made a great choice and you have an awesome system!
                                                              Well I became a quick convert to Mac amps as soon as I tried out the 402 with my 802Ds (especially when I tried the 4ohm taps). I kind of wonder about how the Mac controller would have sounded but I think the Meridian has a lot more digital processing options which I find really helps dial in the imaging. I don't think the Mac controllers have those options. Also the Meridian room correction is an added bonus although, with 26 acoustic panels in my room, it has only made a subtle difference.

Comment

• jack d
                                                                • Sep 2006

Wow! The other night as I was switching on my system one of the rear 501s blew. I swapped the fuse and it blew again immediately after turning it on a second time. It was one of the floor models I purchased for the rear speakers. Luckily, my dealer is great. He found another unboxed demo model and brought it over to my place the next day. I still don't know what happened to the 501 but fortunately I don't have to worry about it since I have a replacement. I thought Macs had a great reputation for reliability. I guess I just got one of the few with a defect that gets past Mac's test routines.

Comment

Working...
                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                Search Result for "|||"