X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Russ L
    • Jul 2006

Amp For New Bowers and Wilkins 804S Speakers

Looking forward to my new B&W 804S speakers! Question is what Amp should I go with? I need to skip the expense of separates. Integrateds are much better designed now anyway. I have narrowed it down to:
    1. Classe CAP-2100 100W/ch @ $5000
    2. Moon Evolution i-7 150W/ch @ $6000
    3. Creek Destiny 100W/ch @ $2500 (dual mono design)
    4. Bi -Amp my 804S's with my recently purchased Creek Classic 5350SE Integrated Amp 90W/ch (non-dual mono design) by purchasing a Creek Classic A53 Power Amp 90W/ch @ $1300
    5. OR stay with my Creek 5350- good enough for the 804Ss?
    Which option has the most bang for the $? :scratchhead: Input appreciated!
    Russ
  • Horacio
    • Jan 2005

Not familiar with Creek. Classe and McIntosh are very well liked together with B&Ws. I personally prefer McIntosh.

I own 804S and really, really love them with tubes. If you want to stay with integrated amps I suggest McIntosh MA2275 which is basically a C220 pre + MC275 amp (which I own). I'ts my first tubed amp and was hesitant about maintenance but has been a non-issue. If you want to stay with solid state amps I suggest McIntosh MA7000, MA6900 or MA6300 (decide by budget).

Congrats on the new 804S. I love mine!

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

Originally posted by Russ L
      Looking forward to my new B&W 804S speakers! Question is what Amp should I go with? I need to skip the expense of separates. Integrateds are much better designed now anyway. I have narrowed it down to:
      1. Classe CAP-2100 100W/ch @ $5000
      2. Moon Evolution i-7 150W/ch @ $6000
      3. Creek Destiny 100W/ch @ $2500 (dual mono design)
      4. Bi -Amp my 804S's with my recently purchased Creek Classic 5350SE Integrated Amp 90W/ch (non-dual mono design) by purchasing a Creek Classic A53 Power Amp 90W/ch @ $1300
      5. OR stay with my Creek 5350- good enough for the 804Ss?
      Which option has the most bang for the $? Input appreciated!
      I love the Classé CA-2100 with my 803 they are really nicevery musical Classé and B&W worked together to tailor the amps and the speakers.

One more choice is Electrocompaniet :T
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• linuxtx
        • Apr 2007

I would probably go with a bit more power for the 804s. Personally I drive my N804s with Rotel 200W for HT. I purchased a Musical Fidelity A5 integrated for my desktop 2 channel setup and tested it with the N804s for a bit. I have to say that the Musical Fidelity 250W integrated really made a difference. Unfortunately now that I have kids my N804s are really limited to HT duty, and all of my music listening is in my office, otherwise the A5 would have stayed on the B&Ws.

Comment

• joetama
          • May 2006

I would have said Classe in the past. But, with my recent experience with Moon I would have to say check them out for sure.
          -Joe

Comment

• skuzzyb
            • Mar 2006

Russ, numbers 1 or 2 would be excellent choiced. I have heard Moon a few times and have come away impressed. I have not heard a moon/b&W combination so I cannot say how they sound together, but I know that the Classe / B&W sound is a fantastic combination.

Listen to as many combinations as you can so that you can make a decision, hopefully your dealer is willing to for you to take some home and listen before buying? Nothing beats listening to the equipment in your spach to see how it all integrates and fit in.

Enjoy the listening.
            skz

Comment

• dknightd
              • Mar 2006

I'd try what you already have before changing. It might be fine. Then I'd save up my money for the next big jump. IMO you need to double amp power before you really notice a difference - assuming your original amp could deliver current as needed. No experience with creek amps, so don't know for sure, but their reputation is good enough. I wouldn't hurry to go out and buy something new until you listened to what you had and see if you noticed a problem - there is always time later to investigate other options once your wallet recovers.

Comment

• Cruxis
                • Feb 2007

Russ, I'm running the Creek destiny int amp with 803D's at the moment until I can afford to upgrade to a more powerful amp. The sound is quite good , however I can't recommend the Creek due to the fact that I've had to send it in for repairs twice in the year and a half that I've owned it.

Comment

• Allegiance
                  • Sep 2006

Musical Fidelity is another good one :T A kW 750 would probably satisfy your urges :P

750 Watts per channel into 8 Ohms, 1100 Watts per channel into 4 Ohms! :E

Current, peak-to-peak 250 Amps.

Oh dear, something has gone wrong. Here's a couple of things to try next to get back to the good stuff... Use your browser's 'Back' button and...

Comment

• linuxtx
                    • Apr 2007

Yeah, Musical Fidelity mates nicely with B&W, but you can get away a lot cheaper than the KW750, the new A5.5 is only $3K and 250W into 8 Ohms, 400W into 4 Ohms. It's predecessor had plenty of current to drive my Nautilus 804s.

Comment

• Allegiance
                      • Sep 2006

Originally posted by linuxtx
                      Yeah, Musical Fidelity mates nicely with B&W, but you can get away a lot cheaper than the KW750, the new A5.5 is only $3K and 250W into 8 Ohms, 400W into 4 Ohms. It's predecessor had plenty of current to drive my Nautilus 804s.
                      Hey! You can never have enough :P The KW750 does have alot more current though, 250 Amps compared to 75 on the A5.5 :B

Comment

• Russ L
                        • Jul 2006

Originally posted by Cruxis
                        Russ, I'm running the Creek destiny int amp with 803D's at the moment until I can afford to upgrade to a more powerful amp. The sound is quite good , however I can't recommend the Creek due to the fact that I've had to send it in for repairs twice in the year and a half that I've owned it.
                        The first Creek Classic Amp I got had power switch problems. Thanks for the warning. The next one from the dealer was fine. The Creek's are great value for the money but aren't a bargain if you get the upgrade bug later because the amp can't deliver the sound the 804S's deserve.
                        Russ

Comment

• Russ L
                          • Jul 2006

Originally posted by dknightd
                          I'd try what you already have before changing. It might be fine. Then I'd save up my money for the next big jump. IMO you need to double amp power before you really notice a difference - assuming your original amp could deliver current as needed. No experience with creek amps, so don't know for sure, but their reputation is good enough. I wouldn't hurry to go out and buy something new until you listened to what you had and see if you noticed a problem - there is always time later to investigate other options once your wallet recovers.
                          The Creeks can really deliver the current like a Classe or Moon amp but don't have the added refinement of the more expensive amp. I think the Moon Evolution Integrated would be great w. its 150w vs. my present 90w. "Only" a $1000 more than the CAP-2100.

I'll try what I have then if I'm not happy I'll upgrade to the Moon or Classe after a demo comparison.

Thanks everyone for your help. :T
                          Russ

Comment

Working...
                          Searching...Please wait.
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                          An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                          There are no results that meet this criteria.
                          Search Result for "|||"