X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • leepalao
    • Dec 2005

Just got my 803D, and they are "WOW"...

Hello all,

I went to the shop a few days ago, hoping to get a replacement for my 705. I have always wanted a 805 because when I first listen to them a few years ago, it was "WOW"... Somehow, now the 805s doesn't sound as good as I heard it back then. So i listened to 804s and it was okay. Then 802D, and image was huge, but too loud for my taste. Then 803D, and "WOW"..... No harsh in the highs, and hugh impact, meaning it would be perfect for HT. Sound just right!!

Well, because of $$$, I got the 804s instead with a htm3s.. Got home, set them up, and sound was okay, but too thin..... Then I called my dealer and ask to exchange for 803s, but they told me that it would not make much of a difference. Somehow, they convinced me to get the 803D, and after offering me 15% off that pair and a htm2D, I decided to go for it..

Well, no regret!!! The 803D sounds as good as when I heard it from the store. so amazing how good it sound with just my Rotel RMB-1095.

Now, I'm tempting to get the best out of the 803D. I have my eye on the RB-1092. Just one question.

I know that 2 channels would be fine, but for HT, would it be a good setup? That is, the RB-1092 running the 803D, and the RMB-1095 running the HTM2D and the surrounds. I want to make sure first since RB-1092 is 500w/channel whereas the RMB-1095 is 200w/channel. I don't know if the front would be too loud or sound different or uneven or something.

Also, if I only run 3 channels on the RMB-1095 (3x200=600w), would it still run 200w/channel or would the extra unuse 400w be distribute into the 3 channels? I hope it's not confusing... Thanks.
  • tboooe
    • Jun 2005

way to upgrade!

just out of curiosity, what do you mean the 802D were too loud for your taste?

Comment

• dyazdani
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Oct 2005

Originally posted by leepalao
      I know that 2 channels would be fine, but for HT, would it be a good setup? That is, the RB-1092 running the 803D, and the RMB-1095 running the HTM2D and the surrounds. I want to make sure first since RB-1092 is 500w/channel whereas the RMB-1095 is 200w/channel. I don't know if the front would be too loud or sound different or uneven or something.
      No, you will be fine... the output level setting for each channel does not depend on the relative power capacity.

Also, if I only run 3 channels on the RMB-1095 (3x200=600w), would it still run 200w/channel or would the extra unuse 400w be distribute into the 3 channels? I hope it's not confusing... Thanks.
      No, it would not be distributed to the other channels, BUT I'm guessing it may take some load off of the power supply. Again, you will be in good shape. You'd still have room to upgrade to 7.1 or even power a small 2 channel system somewhere else.
      Danish

Comment

• leepalao
        • Dec 2005

dyazdani, thanks for the info. I guess even though the RMB-1095 does not distribute the unused power, at least the RB-1092 will not overpower the front, so everything should be equal. This amp will definitely be on the top of my list.

tboooe, well, it's kind of hard to explain. Maybe I did turn up the volume quite high for the 802D, but it was too loud for the room. As for the 803D, it was in the same room, but it wasn't that loud. I guess a better way to explain this is that the 802D was too powerful for the room I was in. But I did notice how wide and deep the sound was... I felt like the music was live. If the room was bigger, then the 802D would be ideal. Having said all that, 803D is my prefered speaker right now. It sounds awesome and it's still new!!!!! Probably won't upgrade for a while... Can't wait till I get the HTM2D and try some movies and see how it'll compare with my old 705/htm7 I had....

Comment

• ShadowZA
          Super Senior Member
          • Jan 2006

Congratulations on your new 803D acquisition. Wishing you a long, true and meaningful relationship with them. My 803D's are new, too. Busy breaking them in. Bliss :T

Comment

• PewterTA
            • Nov 2004

If you are sticking with Rotel. I think the RB-1090 would give you a closer sound from the RB-1092. Through my comparisions (limited as they are), both of the amps hooked up to the 803Ds, I think the RB-1090 sounds more "rotelish." The 1092 is perfectly fine, but it just seems to be missing something over the analog amps (at least from me coming from a RMB-1095 that is).

Just an opinion, I know it's alot bigger and much heavier, so it might not work in your situation. But definitely give it a listen!
            Digital Audio makes me Happy.
            -Dan

Comment

• leepalao
              • Dec 2005

Well, I've been thinking of a RB-1090 until I check Rotel's website and then saw the digital one. I guess one thing that may hold me back from the 1090 is the trigger. It would bother me to manually turn it off and on all the time. But I'm am waiting for a good deal to appear online. Now, after reading more reviews, I may not go with the 1092 anymore. Looks like it'll be louder but will sound more digital.
              Right now, I have the classe CAP-151 driving my other dynaudio 1.3SE. I may try that to drive my 803D and see how it sounds compare to the 1095..

Anyone have done a comparision with the Classe CAP-151 vs RB-1090?? That's a lot of power different though, classe=150w and rotel=380w.... Just wondering if it's worth it to get the 1090.... Thanks.

Comment

• miner
                • Mar 2005

I have the RB-1092 and am enjoying every note that it produces. It is not a true digital amp but incorporated B&O ICEpower supplies. My current shelf could not have handled the RB-1090's weight so 1092 was a great compromise. Everyone will have their opinion on analogue vs. psuedo-digital. I am coming from a RB-1070 so the 1092 was a huge jump for me. Can't go wrong with the RB-1090 though - well proven amp.

Comment

• tec333
                  • Jan 2006

803D's - NICE!!!

Isn't there a 1091? a monoblock version of the 1092? I do not know the Rotel line that good but this sounds like a good upgrade later down the road?

get the 2 ch 1092 and add the 1091 for the center later on.

you also might want to check out the NuForce Ref 9's - I am a walking add for these amps right now as I just got them last month...

I could not wait to audition the Rotels as I really wanted something fast! - And I was very impressed with the ref 9's

Again I am not familiar with the Roltel line, if the 1095 is 5x200 watt amp you can always try ...assuming you have a 5.1 setup - to bi-amp the center channel from the 1095 2x200, and running the 1092 for the L/R mains - and using the left over channels for surrounds - even have a spare channel for a back channel speaker (6.1)

Anyway -

Congrats on the 803D's !!! and post pics on the BW picture thread - if i can't listen to them - let me at least look at them!

Comment

• sikoniko
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Aug 2003

I have ref9's as well for my 802n's and am very happy. I hope to biamp them later this year for extra power.
                    I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• rav934
                      • Dec 2005

B&Ws like Musical Fidelity amps

Comment

• leepalao
                        • Dec 2005

I will posted picture of my 803D & HTM2D soon. My dealer said that I should get the HMT2D either today or tomorrow. And YES, 803D still has that "WOW" factor as of yesterday....

If anyone is selling a RB-1090, let me know! Thanks.

Comment

• DClark
                          • Jan 2006

I have the same set up as you had...B&W 804s & HTM3s. I used these to replace a set of Quad ESL-63USA and Vandersteen Sub so I could go to a Home Theater set-up with a smaller foot print then the Quads.

Room size is 16x12 with 8' ceilings. I also think the sound is somewhat thin. Your move to the 803D intrigues me. I had considered the 802D as a possible upgrade.

My dealer has a set of Wilson Sophia 2 that I am also considering.

My proceessor is a Theta Casablanca 3, amp is Bryston 6b sst. I am not sure about M/C since I really enjoy 2 channel.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

Comment

• leepalao
                            • Dec 2005

DClark, the sound IS thin on the 804s, there is no doubt about that. The 803D is a pretty big step up from 804S. Let's just say that the gap between 803s and 802s was pretty big. Now, the gap between 803D and 802D are closer, therefore 803D is a much, much better speaker than the previous model. If you can afford the 802D and have a larger room, go for it, but for many of us, 803D will still be awesome and quite competitive with 802D. Before the diamond series, jumping from 804 to 803 would be wasteful, and most people would just jump to the 802 to make it worth. But right now, going from 804 to 803D IS WORTH it!

What the 803D also has that's good for HT that the 804s doesn't is dynamic and impact... The 803D has that Definitive Technology impact for HT. I used to have the best of Def Tech speakers which totally kills the 804s for HT. Now, once I get the HMT2D, I'll let you guys know how that compare to my top of the line Deft Tech, only in HT though.

Comment

• coolmonk
                              • Mar 2006

Definitives are decent for HT...I'm sure your new Diamonds will rock. Don't forget to invite me over when you get your center. =]

Comment

• darrill
                                • Mar 2006

I have the 803D's attached to the Rotel 1092 and like the combination. I tried the 1090 and also enjoyed the sound produced by this combination though I felt it was slightly warmer whereas with the 1092 the sound was more neutral. My decision finally came down to size and weight and the difference in heat output by these two amps.

Comment

Working...
                                Searching...Please wait.
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                Search Result for "|||"