803D (used) and HTM2D (new) or 802D (used) for the same price?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nikos
    • Dec 2005

803D (used) and HTM2D (new) or 802D (used) for the same price?

What would you do??

803D (used) and HTM2D (new) or 802D (used) for the exact same price?

Thanks,

Nick
    803D (used) and HTM2D (new)
    46.15%
    802D (used)
    53.85%

The poll is expired.

Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC
  • William
    • Aug 2006

Your poll is laking lots of criteria. Am I putting together a primarily 2 channel or primarily a HT 5.1 system for now and what are my ultimate goals and how fast to achieve them? Do I already have any speakers (like center and surrounds) to use (in your sig?)? What kind of room am I using this in? What is the cosmetic condition on the 803D's and 802D's from 1 to 5, do they come with any warrantee and boxes?

With all things being equal (which they rarely are) the 802D's would probably be a slightly better value but the 803D's/HTM2D would probably be more practical.

Comment

• Glenee
      • Aug 2006

803D's and HTM2D

Comment

• garak
        • Jul 2007

I also voted 803Ds and HTM2D. I'm assuming that you're more concerned with HT usage rather than 2 channel. Also I'm assuming that you'd be using the 1077 to power these speakers. So if you can, I would bi-amp the 803Ds. If you went with 802Ds, I'm not sure the 1077 would do the 802Ds justice, even bi-amped.

Comment

• wgriel
          • May 2006

Personally, I'd go with the 802D's, but that's because I'm more into 2 channel than MC. However, that's not meant to be advice for you: as William stated we don't know what the overall objectives are.

Comment

• nikos
            • Dec 2005

warranty on 803 not on 802 . 65/35% ht/2ch sig is a little outdated 600s are all gone. So is the 1057 . I'm considering trying out emotiva xpa1 or xpa-2 and then decide if I keep the 1077 . No clue what pre pro I'll use but have some time to decide on sp-800 or otherwise... As the speakers will go in storage for about 6 months

The question was put this way because I'm maxed out budget wise. Even if I go 802d route I'd add a center down the road.
            Also all have boxes.
            Sorry if this message doesn't flow... As I typed it while drining on my iPhone.
            Thanks for your input
            Classe SSP-800, Classe CA-5200, B&W 803D, B&W HTM2D, JL Audio Fathom f113 Subwoofer, Rotel RMB-1077(for sale), Oppo DV-983H, Panasonic PT-AE900U Xbox360, Sony PS3, Samsung 8000 Series 55" LCD, Klipsch promedia 5.1 ultra for PC

Comment

• Mig17
              • Jan 2008

your Rotel 1077 cant tell the different betwen the 802 and 803
              just find something more simple like CM7 series

Comment

• KyaDawn
                • Mar 2008

If the intention is "what can I get most out of my money NOW", then the 803D/HTM2D option is the obvious answer. However, if you feel you could upgrade later and improve your existing system, then go with the 802Ds. Personally I would pick the 802Ds.

Comment

• VladP
                  • Feb 2009

I would definitely go for 803D/HTMD2 option over 802D. I have auditioned both very closely and while the 802D is slightly better, it is not better that much. You need to audition both yourself to see if you hear the differences that would justify almost doubling the cost. 803D is an absolutely superb speaker. It also depends whether you really need a central channel. I listen to surround sound high definition music (SACD and DVD audio) and to me the central channel that matches the main speakers was a must. For the price of used 802D, I bought a pair of 803D, HTM2D and a great power amp. Make sure you have good amplification for your 802D or 803D. Many reported hearing no differences between 802D and 803D when powered by inferior amps. Rotel RMB 1077 does not have the power to do justice to either 803D or 802D.

Comment

• William
                    • Aug 2006

Originally posted by VladP
                    I would definitely go for 803D/HTMD2 option over 802D. I have auditioned both very closely and while the 802D is slightly better, it is not better that much...
                    As someone who owns both (802D and 803D) and has had then playing in the same spot in my HT (not at the same time of course ) I can say that there is a significant difference in sound quality between the 803D and 802D. Of course it's not 2 times, but as with almost all products as you go up in the model/price line your point of diminishing returns narrows.

Comment

• energyandair
                      • Jan 2009

First thing I would think about is the match with the room. It may be that in your room, the 803D will be a better match than the 802D.

Second thing I would think about is whether an electronics upgrade would bring more benefit than a larger or center speaker. ie A better pre and/or power amp with the 803D.

Third thing I would think about is where the benefits would be of most importance to me. In my case, I would value improved 2 channel sound over improved multichannel sound. Your priority may be different.

One HT factor would be whether you will mostly be watching alone or whether you need to anchor centre voices for a larger audience.

One 2 channel factor is whether most of your 2 channel listening is as background while you work or read or do you sit in a perfectly placed chair listening for every detail.

David

Comment

• VladP
                        • Feb 2009

Originally posted by William
                        As someone who owns both (802D and 803D) and has had then playing in the same spot in my HT (not at the same time of course ) I can say that there is a significant difference in sound quality between the 803D and 802D. Of course it's not 2 times, but as with almost all products as you go up in the model/price line your point of diminishing returns narrows.
                        I guess opinions vary. Some reviewers, for example, noted that bass on 803D is better (more accurate) than 802D. After hearing both myself and after reading pretty much everything you can find on the web about these two speakers, the only point on which most reviews agree is the difference in mid range. Clearly different people will have different preferences and significance of these differences is only relative. Quite a few people actually preferred 803D over 802D which again suggest that the difference between these speakers is rather minor, but it may be significant to some and less significant to others. I do sit down and listen to every detail the speakers can deliver and 803D deliver in spades and, IMO, 803D are excellent for either 2-channel or for surround sound high definition music listening assuming you match it with proper sources and amplification. If one has unlimited resources, then 802D is no brainer, but when resources are limited, as one reviewer noted (from Stereo Times?): "... the 803D costs less than 70% the price of the 802D, and I reckon ... it delivers something like 80% of the performance."

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"