so Center Channel experts...what's your take on HTM1, HTM3S, HTM2D?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ssabripo
    • Dec 2005

so Center Channel experts...what's your take on HTM1, HTM3S, HTM2D?

i purchased the HTM1 from a fellow member, and have been reading up on the reviews and differences between them.

the general consensus is that the HTM1 and HTM3S are practically identical in performance (generally speaking), but that the HTM2D obviously sounds different due to the Diamond tweeter and rohacell drivers.

anyone with extensive experience on these center channels, particularly comparing one to the other?

just wanting to see how each stacks up... :T
    My simple HT setup
    4π using LMS, anyone?
  • ssabripo
    • Dec 2005

oh c'mon...I find it hard to believe 70 views and not one single reply!

RDC? Rebelman? scandido? where is everyone?
    My simple HT setup
    4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• kallagtunet
      • Jan 2008

Why not this :-)
      Attached Files

Comment

• ssabripo
        • Dec 2005

waaay too big for my setup...that things needs a dedicated room
        My simple HT setup
        4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• Race Car Driver
          Super Senior Member
          • Mar 2005

I have never compared either, my only experience with is with the N HTM1 and N HTM2.

As far as the HTM1 goes Its an amazing center! The first reply from most people who see that is "That thing is your center!?"

I cant think of another center I would want.....

except for possibly the HTM1d....
          B&W

Comment

• kallagtunet
            • Jan 2008

Originally posted by ssabripo
            waaay too big for my setup...that things needs a dedicated room
            Agree!!!

The HTM2D is a great one, the D tweeter does magic on those film sountracks that are a bit brittle...

Comment

• rodH
              • Aug 2002

Not sure what you are running for mains, but I would get the one that matches your mains. Timber matching is important and matching the tweeters especially IMHO. I have an HTM2 and people think that is HUGE (It takes up a lot of rom in my built in because I don't want anything real close around it, creating any echo or unwanted sound waves.

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                • Apr 2005

Originally posted by kallagtunet
                Why not this :-)
                Ah yes, the HUMMER as B&W factory workers call it. Do you have one of those?

Comment

• kallagtunet
                  • Jan 2008

Originally posted by Mark-n-b
                  Do you have one of those?
                  Yes :- )

I like it a lot...

Comment

• ssabripo
                    • Dec 2005

I like it a lot...
                    nice.

unfortunately, I really can't have one in my setup...one day in the future if I have a dedicated room perhaps.

for now, the HTM1 will replace my DIY center channel:
                    My simple HT setup
                    4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• sikoniko
                      Super Senior Member
                      • Aug 2003

you should match the NHTM1 with your N802's. The cross-over in the HTM2D will not mix well with your 802's.

Case-in-point, my local dealer has 800 Signatures. He took an HTM1D home, and felt that it sounded horrible compared to his HTM1Sig. (he was powering it with Krell Evo amps, so that was not the issue).
                      I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• ssabripo
                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by sikoniko
                        you should match the NHTM1 with your N802's. The cross-over in the HTM2D will not mix well with your 802's.

Case-in-point, my local dealer has 800 Signatures. He took an HTM1D home, and felt that it sounded horrible compared to his HTM1Sig. (he was powering it with Krell Evo amps, so that was not the issue).
                        yes, that's what I bought...HTM1

but I've read the HTM3S sounds identical pretty much, and wanted to hear some feedback.

also, wanted to see how the acoustic signature of the HTM2D compares with the HTM1 and HTM3S
                        My simple HT setup
                        4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• Mark-n-b
                          • Apr 2005

I like it a lot...
                          I want one too, but they are soooooooooo big. My dealer has one on permanent display along with 800Ds and kids think it is a seat!

I will have one one day! :twisted:

Comment

• dmccombs
                            • Sep 2006

Ssabrino,

I have owned both the HTM1, which is a perfect match for the N802s, and the HTM3S, which is a perfect match for the 804S and 803S. Just like the old N804 sounds different than the 804S, the HTM1 and the HTM3S sound different.

I would say the HTM3S is a bit more lively. The midrange and tweeter are both a little cleaner. They are similar, but the HTM3S is a little better. But, the better match for N802s will be the HTM1.

Edit: I see you also asked about the HTM2D, which I own now. It is a perfect match for the 803D speakers, but does veryy well with the 802Ds that I have.

The HTM2D is a upgrade to the HTM3S, in that it has the diamond tweeter. The highs are a bit cleaner and more crisp, without getting edgy.

Regards,
                            Darrell

Originally posted by ssabripo
                            yes, that's what I bought...HTM1

but I've read the HTM3S sounds identical pretty much, and wanted to hear some feedback.

also, wanted to see how the acoustic signature of the HTM2D compares with the HTM1 and HTM3S

Comment

• scanido
                              • Apr 2006

Hey Ssabrino,

Wish i can provide additional insight over the HTM3S i own, but unfortunately I have never owned or heard the other center channels. Seeing how you own the N802, if i were you i would get the HTM1 to best match your front sound stage. I'm all for a seamless soundstage and it is possible that any other center would stand out a tad too much and be noticeable.

Comment

• RNKC
                                • Jun 2005

I use a Nautilus HTM2 right now but I'd much rather use an N HTM1 instead. Trouble is the HTM1 is a little too big for my current room. I've heard it extensively though and it's a far superior speaker to the HTM2. I'm always surprised by how much better it sounds.

I would expect a more incremental sound quality difference between N HTM1 and HTM2D, but a much bigger difference when you move up to the full HTM1D.

As far as HTM3S and N HTM1, my impression was that they were the same speaker with possible very slight tweaks that likely wouldn't make much, if any difference.

Comment

• ssabripo
                                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by RNKC
                                  As far as HTM3S and N HTM1, my impression was that they were the same speaker with possible very slight tweaks that likely wouldn't make much, if any difference.
                                  yes, that's exactly the feedback I'm getting. The HTM3S is pretty much a "tweaked" version of the HTM1, while the HTM2D has a much different acoustic signature all together. :T

keep it coming guys...I'm really appreciating all the feedback.
                                  My simple HT setup
                                  4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• rcg412
                                    • Mar 2008

Recently upgraded to HTM2D, from HTM3S. Major sound difference. the 2D is much smoother and MUCH fuller - the bass is really great in the voices. I also agree with earlier poster that it is less edgy. Only downside is that it is more revealing, and with the quality of compressed Digital cable what it is, isnt the greatest thing.

Comment

• wettou
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • May 2006

Forget it I had the HTM2D and changed it for an other 802D what a difference to have the same three speakers up front.
                                      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                        Super Senior Member
                                        • May 2005

Htm2d is the way to go. I have it and unless you go to a htm1D you can't do better.

As for another 802D, that would be great if you have the room under or above your screen which I doubt. In any case the htm1D is like a 802D lying down and is the ultimate center speaker.

Otherwise what makes the htm2d different from the others in the same category is that it has vent holes in the back and the sound is/can be deeper bass response.

Comment

• wettou
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • May 2006

The tweeter is not at the same level and you can hear a big difference just try it, but I understand you have to have the right set up.
                                          I have front projection system and am able to put the speaker under the screen
                                          Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                            Super Senior Member
                                            • May 2005

Originally posted by wettou
                                            The tweeter is not at the same level and you can hear a big difference just try it, but I understand you have to have the right set up.
                                            I have front projection system and am able to put the speaker under the screen
                                            If it works for you, its a great solution.

I would have for the same money bought the HTM1D and put it on a Stand

Tweeters are the same

(we are talking about the Huge Htm1D)

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                              Super Senior Member
                                              • Mar 2005

HTM1D has more woofers than the 802. That 1D is a monster!
                                              B&W

Comment

• skuzzyb
                                                • Mar 2006

I opted for the HTM2D versus the HTM1D for one main reason, the size and looks. Considering I only listen to two channel music, the HTM2D was more than enough for my needs. I have no regrets. I get great dialogue from it for movies, good transient response and an even timbre across the front three channels, using the 802D as L&R. I am using 200WPC to push them all so power is not an issue. All in all, I have no regrets getting the HTM2D and do not think I would have been able to hear much of a difference, in fact, I did not hear any difference when demoing them both in the showroom.
                                                Last edited by skuzzyb; 02 April 2008, 11:50 Wednesday.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • May 2005

The 1D is king !!!

But nothing is more important than personal preference

;x( ;x( ;x( ;x( ;x(

Comment

• ssabripo
                                                    • Dec 2005

well..it's here (sorry for the crappy phone pics):

Sound wise, the voicing is much smoother than my DIY center, and of course, aesthetically it matches much better. In multi-channel music, however, the other one had a little more authority and depth (due in part to the larger woofers).

Overall I'm pleased. I need to re-calibrate and level match, as this center channel is also power hungry like the 802's were.

ps- my system now looks like this:

My simple HT setup
                                                    4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• Blindamood
                                                      • Sep 2003

System looks great, and nice diagram. What is the point of routing the digital output of the DirecTV box through the Zektor, rather than straight into the Proceed?
                                                      Brad

Comment

• ssabripo
                                                        • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Blindamood
                                                        System looks great, and nice diagram. What is the point of routing the digital output of the DirecTV box through the Zektor, rather than straight into the Proceed?
                                                        correct...I don't do that anymore (i had to since my previous DVR had only one Toslink and no digicoax, so I had to use the zektor to plex the toslink connection onto the avp2).

I go direct now. Good catch! :T
                                                        My simple HT setup
                                                        4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

• scanido
                                                          • Apr 2006

Great choice! Next up are matching the rears to some N804-N803!

What did you do to raise the front of the HTM1 a few degrees higher?

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                                            Super Senior Member
                                                            • Jan 2006

Awesome setup, ssabripo, :T
                                                            Imho, the HTM1 is the best matched centre to your 802N's (other than another 802N which would bring practical problems).
                                                            Superb diagram too.

Comment

• Race Car Driver
                                                              Super Senior Member
                                                              • Mar 2005

Nice Center Channel :thup:
                                                              B&W

Comment

• style
                                                                Super Senior Member
                                                                • Feb 2006

center

Hallo ssabripo,

with your set the right center will be the htm3s (Advise on the brochur)

--> 803s+htm3s+rear??805,smcs,...
                                                                --> 802not D go with htm3s and not the htm2d: the htm2d is for the
                                                                new 802D produced.

BUT certainly listen is the best!! (if you this possiblity)

Personally I find the combination of the 803d with htm3s also good for the cinema! Although it is not recommended!

Greetings from Switzerland
                                                                Omar

Comment

• ssabripo
                                                                  • Dec 2005

Originally posted by Race Car Driver
                                                                  Nice Center Channel :thup:
                                                                  :W :T
                                                                  My simple HT setup
                                                                  4π using LMS, anyone?

Comment

Working...
                                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                  Search Result for "|||"