X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Lectoid
    • Jan 2007

602's or 602.5's

I have another post asking about 600's, but I thought this was different enough to warrant a new thread.

I will be auditioning the 602 and 602.5's this week. I have read a ton over the last few weeks about them. I came across a few reviews that state the 602.5's are inferior to their bookshelf brother. I plan on making my choice based on what sounds better. But I don't think I am at a point in my hi-fi life where I could tell the difference.

I currently have paradigm Titan's and love them, but I know I can hear the difference between my titan's and 601's. My mother-in-law even heard the difference (she bought a pair of 601's after auditioning at a store).

Thanks.
  • Sim reality
    • Aug 2005

You can probably hear the difference. The 602.5 sounds "darker" for lack of a better term... I think the box volume is too large for a 2 way speaker in the floor-standing speaker.

It's all personal taste, but I would not go any lower then the 603s for floor standers.

Comment

• Lectoid
      • Jan 2007

I should point out that I listen to a lot (80% of my music) of electronic/trance/techno. Most of the rest is Rock (Rush, AC/DC, Tenacious D). That might help any welcomed recommendations.

I was hesitant to say that because I feared a lot of suggestions to refocus my selection to Best Buy's offerings.

If I don't listen to any classical, am I still allowed to legally buy B&W's? :W

I am proving my lack of knowledge in stating that I thought the 602.5's didn't have a bigger enclosure. I kind of thought the bottom part was sealed off. I understand that even if that was the case, it would still effect the sound. But enclosed cubic feet/meters is absent from the specifications, so I didn't know for sure.

Comment

• dknightd
        • Mar 2006

I haven't compared those two, but you should before you buy. I think the 602.5 is actually more like a 601 in a bigger box than it is like a 602. According to bwspeakers.com the 602 has about the same bass response as the 602.5. Bring you favorite music to the store with you, buy whatever you think is best within your budget (don't forget to budget for stands if you go with 602). Come back and telll us what you bought and why. It might help the next person. Listen to the 603. you might decide to wait or stretch your budget.

I rarely listen to classical. Mostly reggae, rock, bluegrass, jazz and have two pairs of b&w speakers - 703 in my home stereo, 600 for computer speakers. I don't think any laws have been broken, and I like them

Comment

• Lectoid
          • Jan 2007

Man, you're killing me. I did want the 603's, but my budget is 700 dollars on the dot (I don't count tax). I am passively trying to sell my Paradigm Titan's, so that would help, maybe add 150 or so. But 300 is gonna be rough. Do the dealers ever give in a little? On audioreview's site, I see a lot of fluctuation in "Paid" prices.

But I guess I could wait, I started another thread about the S3's being out for a long time, maybe by then an S4 will come out.

Comment

• dknightd
            • Mar 2006

Sometimes a dealer will deal, sometimes not. Depends on the dealer. Ask them.
            At least you are not listening to junk while you wait, Titan's are nice little speakers.
            I'd go listen again. Bring your own music so they know you are serious.
            Don't just listen to b&w - listen to whatever you can find in your price range.
            You may find something else you like more, or, at least this way your dealer will
            not know that you have already made up your mind on b&w and maybe more
            willing to work with you on price. Since you seem to be willing to wait, you might
            as well wait in the dealer showroom listening to your favorite music - assuming the dealer is close enough and you have time to spend.
            Have you considered buying used? As you know, the line hasn't changed much recently, and if you are lucky you could pick up some lightly used, but broken in, speakers for 40% or more off new retail.

Really I think the 602 is a nice (though large for a "boockshelf") speaker. Go listen to the 602, 602.5, 603 (and dare I say 604) and decide for yourself. While you are deciding look for used ones, then once you've decided, go get them. I wouldn't worry about what might come out (as you've found b&w is very tight lipped) - you could be waiting for weeks/months/years, or, you could be enjoying your new speakers. Which would you rather do?

I think I mentioned in your other thread. Go out and listen. Buy the one you like best that fits your budget. Don't worry about getting a few percent off the price (but ask for it - hint if you need wires, or anything else, ask them to throw it into the purchase - this way they can save face by saying they did not sell the b&w at a discount - do you need a new amp - maybe pay full price for the b&w but get 50% off the amp), or, about if they will release a new version tommorow

Comment

• Lectoid
              • Jan 2007

Now you have me saving pennies for the 603's. Or at least the potential to buy the 603's if I like them. I went the the store yesterday and they are doing inventory, which gives me more time anyway.

I have one question though, what is the 1/2 in the 2 and 1/2 way. Is the aluminum speaker passive? I read where the aluminum only produces lower frequencies. B&W's website states:

aluminium cone driver features B&W's mushroom construction and is restricted to bass frequencies only, where it operates in parallel with the Kevlar® cone bass / midrange driver.
              If the aluminum If it's passive, how does it do that? How do you restrict frequencies on a passive cone? Not that it matters entirely, but is there specs on what frequencies those are?

I guess I figured a passive cone would output whatever the mid driver is. I'm going to do more searching, but figured I'd ask the guru's first. I've seen passive drivers work, but I guess never explained

Comment

• Sim reality
                • Aug 2005

The 1/2 way in 2 and 1/2 way is refers to the fact that the aluminum driver "assists" the main kevlar driving in low frequencies (as opposed to 3-way in the 604 where all the low frequencies is filtered to the aluminum drivers).

So no, the aluminum driver is not passive.

Comment

• Lectoid
                  • Jan 2007

deleted what I put earlier, I missed the last sentence above where he says it's not a passive driver.

Comment

• Lectoid
                    • Jan 2007

So there is a VC behind that aluminum driver? I guess i'm now more confused. Is there a website where i can read more about this? I was looking up websites on passive drivers.

Comment

• Lectoid
                      • Jan 2007

It seems one difference between the 603 and 604's is the 604's Kevlar driver is in it's own chamber. Since the 603's two drivers share the compartment, is this what you mean?

My entire point is, I guess I thought they were implying that the aluminum driver wasn't it's own speaker, that it worked off of the kevlar. But I understand now.

Thanks for clearing that up for me Sim.

Comment

• Sim reality
                        • Aug 2005

Well in case you are still confused, I will lay it out a little more clearly.

In the 603:
                        Tweeter reacts to +4KHz
                        Kevlar Driver react to -4KHz
                        Aluminum Driver reacts to -150Hz

So at -150Hz both the Kevlar Driver and Aluminum driver are oscillating (hence 2.5-way)

In the 604:
                        Tweeter reacts to +4Khz
                        Kevlar react to frequencies between 4Khz and 450Hz
                        Aluminum drivers react to -450Hz

There is no overlap so the speaker is referred to 3-way.

Comment

• Lectoid
                          • Jan 2007

Imagine the largest, brightest light. Now imagine that over my head. Once you used the frequencies, it all made perfect sense. I think I'm showing my lack of experience by stating I've never seen that kind of a set-up before. I've really only dealt with 2 and 3 way.

Wow, thanks again.

Comment

• Ted
                            • May 2006

Originally posted by Lectoid
                            I should point out that I listen to a lot (80% of my music) of electronic/trance/techno. Most of the rest is Rock (Rush, AC/DC, Tenacious D). That might help any welcomed recommendations.

I was hesitant to say that because I feared a lot of suggestions to refocus my selection to Best Buy's offerings.

If I don't listen to any classical, am I still allowed to legally buy B&W's? :W
                            I listen to rock, metal, pop, a little classical and dare I say some rap, and you know what, the B & W police have not knocked on my door to arrest me or take away my speakers :rofl: . I think you'll be just fine, just don't tell too many people what you listen to... :W
                            Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"