X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • misterdoggy
    Super Senior Member
    • May 2005

ASW 825 problem

Well I had some more problems with low current affecting both my lexicon mc12B and Levinson preamp 326S.

Now I've just noticed the 825ASW is not working. The Amp powers on, shows green light of the signal coming to the Sub but no sound. Tried different cables no result. Sent Calibration sound nothing comes thru.

I noticed no thump when you touch the cable like you would even if the sub was off when taking off or putting on the rca cable.checked the 2 fuses at the back and both are OK. Any ideas anyone. ??

Since the lex is sending test signals to all the other speakers you would have to think it is working ok.

connection output = sub 'right' out of the (not lfe or left)

connection input = left input

volume 1/2,

What can I check ? thanks
  • DelRay
    • Jun 2004

Maybe you could remove the screws from the plate amp, pop it out and check the speaker connections.

Comment

• misterdoggy
      Super Senior Member
      • May 2005

Originally posted by DelRay
      Maybe you could remove the screws from the plate amp, pop it out and check the speaker connections.
      why would the speaker which was working, have the connection disconnect ?

The speaker wasn't moved and had been working where it was. I mean I could go into it, but that doesn't seem possible.

Comment

• DelRay
        • Jun 2004

It probably isn't possible. But,When you said you got no "thump" when connecting the rca cable to the subwoofer would lead me to believe that:
        (a) the amp is bad, but the green light works, hmmm. It's possible
        (b) The driver is bad, there are ways to check that problem.
        (c) the connection between the amp and driver
        At least, you can visually inspect by removing the amp or driver. Hey, it's just a few screws. Just a thought.
        The reason I mention this is because one day my Paradigm sub was cutting in and out. I removed the driver and found a loose connection.

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

Delray

I will check out this possibility.

I factored out the sub from the system and chose "no sub"

Is there a way to check the output of the processors sub to an amp and speaker to see if there is a signal. Im only afraid putting too much bass into another speaker other than a base.

this way i could make sure there is a signal going out of the processor and its not something that not working creating the signal on that channel.

A subs signal arrives in the digital form (no analog)
          Last edited by misterdoggy; 25 December 2006, 10:21 Monday.

Comment

• johan
            • Dec 2004

A sub signal does not arrive in a digital form, its just an ordinary electrical form just like the signal you're feeding your amp's with so you can safely test your processor's sub pre-out by feeding it to your main amp, and dont worry about putting too much bass into a main speaker, they can handle it, it would be the same as choosing " no sub " in the processor setup.
            Good luck!

Johan.

Comment

• misterdoggy
              Super Senior Member
              • May 2005

I ran the sub signal to an outside amp and speaker and there is a good sub signal coming from the processor.

So it is only the ASW825 and probably the amp not the speaker.

I popped off the screws and took a look inside and the speaker wires are connected both to the speaker and the boards.

All the computer boards seem ok and nothing really to check there that I should touch less I void the guarantee.

Fuses are OK, powers on, green light, no sound
              Last edited by misterdoggy; 25 December 2006, 10:17 Monday.

Comment

• Ted
                • May 2006

Originally posted by misterdoggy
                I ran the sub signal to an outside amp and speaker and there is a good sub signal coming from the processor.

So it is only the ASW825 and probably the amp not the speaker.

I popped off the screws and took a look inside and the speaker wires are connected both to the speaker and the boards.

All the computer boards seem ok and nothing really to check there that I should touch less I void the guarantee.

Fuses are OK, powers on, green light, no sound
                I had the same thing with my Velodyne sub. Receiver was sending a signal, the light came on, but no sound. Something with my amp had gone out. My dealer just sent the amp board in and I got a new one. Perhaps it is a similar problem you are having.

Good luck!
                Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• misterdoggy
                  Super Senior Member
                  • May 2005

Originally posted by Ted
                  I had the same thing with my Velodyne sub. Receiver was sending a signal, the light came on, but no sound. Something with my amp had gone out. My dealer just sent the amp board in and I got a new one. Perhaps it is a similar problem you are having.

Good luck!
                  This sounds like what I will have to do.........

Comment

• Briz vegas
                    Super Senior Member
                    • Mar 2005

Gremlins.......it must be about time for someone to make another gremlins film to get them out of our HTs and Stereos.

I had at least one transistor go in my power amp two nights ago and just then my receiver (which is now covering all channels) decided to sound all distorted til I turned it off then back on again. Its working fine now but I did see a small critter with large ears and a blow torch in its hands scampering behind the couch while I was resetting the receiver. I must remember to make sure there is no water about, or food for that matter as it just went midnight here.

Good luck with your gremlins.........lets just hope there is no sequel !!!!
                    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• ausmatt
                      • Jun 2005

have you turned the sub off and on again at the main switch on the back we have one in the store which is a bit tempramental and doing this gets it going. not something you should have to do, so get serviced in anycase but works with ours

Comment

• misterdoggy
                        Super Senior Member
                        • May 2005

Originally posted by ausmatt
                        have you turned the sub off and on again at the main switch on the back we have one in the store which is a bit tempramental and doing this gets it going. not something you should have to do, so get serviced in anycase but works with ours
                        I tried switching it on and off but nothing. I hear a little tick in side like something is switching but its hard to say what that could be. I've run out of possibilities. I call B&W in the UK but they seem to be closed for the holidays.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                          Super Senior Member
                          • May 2005

Well I've taken out the Amp plate and sent it off to B&W so we'll see how long it takes. In the mean time its given me a chance to appreciate the 802D's depth which was not completely there.

Comment

• johan
                            • Dec 2004

Hi misterdoggy,

I seem to have exactly the same problem you had. What was wrong with your sub?

Thanks, Johan.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                              Super Senior Member
                              • May 2005

Johan,

It was not bad. They had to replace something to do with the electrical input, Im at a loss for words in french its alimentation. It was under guarantee. probably blew the transfo at the electrical end.

Comment

• johan
                                • Dec 2004

Johan,

It was not bad. They had to replace something to do with the electrical input, Im at a loss for words in french its alimentation. It was under guarantee. probably blew the transfo at the electrical end.
                                Ok, thanks.

Comment

• misterdoggy
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • May 2005

Johan,

You have to unscrew the 6 screws, take off the pair of jumper cables to the speaker (Red and Black) and you can send the plate for coverage by guarantee. Its a simple repair. If it was identical.

Comment

• johan
                                    • Dec 2004

Johan,

You have to unscrew the 6 screws, take off the pair of jumper cables to the speaker (Red and Black) and you can send the plate for coverage by guarantee. Its a simple repair. If it was identical.
                                    I will do that, thank you very much.

Johan

Comment

Working...
                                    Searching...Please wait.
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                    Search Result for "|||"