X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ted
    • May 2006

Speaker Cables

I know cables are an iffy subject here, so I'll keep it generic.

I was going to get a set of speaker cables for my 703. Cost new is $400, and I was going to get them from my dealer for $300 new. The cables would be bi-wired, from my Rotel 1080 to the 703s. I just stopped in there today to talk about something else and he is getting a pair of the same brand of speaker cable but the next step up in on trade. They usually retail for about $650, but are only single and not bi-wired. I can get these for $385 from him.

I know bi-wiring can be quite a topic, so my real question is without getting in to specifics about the particalur brand's items, am I better to get the better single cable or go the step down and bi-wire?

Any thoughts from those of you in the know? ;x(

Thanks!
    Ted
    Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:
  • shades
    • Mar 2005

Get Catcables.

Alot of people Htguide are using Dougs Cat Cables, including myself on the board (Lex, one of the admins on the board). Top notch build and quality at a very reasonable price.

Check the link at the bottom of the page.
    B&W, McIntosh, Rotel, PS3, OPPO, Pioneer, Cat Cables, Sound Anchors

Comment

• gross30
      • Jun 2005

I agree w/Cat Cables, I re-wired my entire system, and recieved great cables w/excellant build quality and performance. Price was hard to beat. Lex was great to talk to as I didn't know a thing about cables. Led me in the right direction and I'm very pleased. :T Will definately shop again !!

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
        Super Senior Member
        • Oct 2003

Ted,

Go to your dealer and do comparative listening between the two cables... Use you favourite CD... You'll know if the pricier cables are worth it to your ears (which is all that counts).... Comparative listening is the best single thing I ever did in Audio and HT.

Geoff

Comment

• james_dmi
          • Jan 2005

I have asked this many times before but still have not had an answer (unless I missed it which is possible):

Can you get CAT cables in the UK? And if so is it possible to audition them?
          James

Comment

• Aussie Geoff
            Super Senior Member
            • Oct 2003

Originally posted by james_dmi
            Can you get CAT cables in the UK? And if so is it possible to audition them?
            Doug ships to anywhere in the world (Korea, Japan, Australia you name it) So the UK is easy... And my understanding is that they are built to order and shipped so there is no audition (and no local dealers mark-up - hence the value)... You do have (from memory) a money back gurantee if they don't meet your expectations... Email Doug and see?

Geoff

Comment

• Lex
              Moderator Emeritus
              • Apr 2001

Ted, our bi-wires that have pleased many a B & W customer are less than both the 450 and (cough) 650 cables your considering. But hey, it's your money. Buy what you like. But you could have enough left over for 25-30 new CDs with CATs, where's the music @?

James, Geoff is right, I ship to UK, I ship anywhere except Nigeria, and Russia, I would only consider shipping to these 2 countries with money in hand, non refundable.

Geoff pretty much hit the nail on the head. International returns are difficult, for one, shipping is more, so you'll loose more. for two, I am not paying customs fees on returned goods, so you really need to just buy them and plan to keep them. I'll stop one step short of saying no returns on international shipments, but I am very close to doing this. For one thing, it can take 2-3 weeks for customers to GET products, then if it takes 2-3 more weeks for me to get them back, that's a 6 week window of time my products are unsellable, realistically more like 2 months, and it puts me in a position of being down the road credit wise, and not planning on the return. That's a problem for my small company. For example, say after 30 days, a connector becomes unavailable and I have to make a production product shift, if your cables came back, then I have obsolete product to sell. It can happen. I also have a hard time representing them as new to other customers.

Anyway, you'll get a great deal on great products with a company with very close to a 100% satisfaction/no return rate. How much better can it get?

thanks.
              Doug
              Doug
              "I'm out there Jerry, and I'm loving every minute of it!" - Kramer

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"