X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bw4sure
    • Nov 2005

so-so receiver with a decent amp

I have an opportunity to buy myself a used pair of 802D's. Unfortunately I do not have the cash available to buy a top of the line Classe / Macintosh / Bryston type of amp at this time. What I do have is a brand new Pioneer Elite VSX-84TSXi ...... now I know you audiophiles are probably cringing at that thought but i have heard the Pioneer / B&W combo and I was very impressed. My question is ...... if i have this combo and I want to give it some more power , especially in a 2-ch set up, could I add say a Rotel RB 1092?

Wwhen using a 'lesser' receiver in a pre-amp situation, does the 'better' amp shine through? or is it held back?

Thanks
  • jayhawk75
    • Apr 2006

i am working through same process. i have a 1092 that i am using out of a 1067 into 803d. pioneer has a (i believe) bypass mode so increase in watts will help with your 802d. however i think that you should try to listen before purchase. pioneer is specd at 140 (i believe) and lots of people will tell you that you need at least 200 for 802d however i have freinds with small mac tubes with less than 100 that are very happy. you should be happy with your purchases and now take the time to listen prior to pursuing the nasty path of upgraditous. you might list your source and listening habits and size of room to help responders. and dont knock pioneer for bang and buck

Comment

• Kobus
      • Aug 2005

You will be fine with the Pioneer for now.

And later a better amp will shine through and then later you can get a better 2ch pre with pass through........lots of options.

But in my opinion, get the best speakers you can now.

Kobus

Comment

• William
        • Aug 2006

The speakers contribute probably 95%+ of the overall sound playback characteristics while a good to great amp is probably less than 2%. Defiantly go for the biggest improvement now (the speakers).

Comment

• Kobus
          • Aug 2005

Those percentages are a bit much towards speakers.

Kobus

Comment

• bw4sure
            • Nov 2005

Originally posted by Kobus
            But in my opinion, get the best speakers you can now.

Kobus

Thanks for re-affirming my first thoughts ...... I feel more comfortable after hearing your opinion

Comment

• bw4sure
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by jayhawk75
              you might list your source and listening habits and size of room to help responders. and dont knock pioneer for bang and buck
              Room size is aprox 13 x 22 .... combo living / dining area. Currently living in a concrete condo downtown with plans to move in to a house within a few years.

Listening habits ...... stereo is on 3-5 hours per day, 5 days a week with music such as Barenaked Ladies, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Barbra Streisand, and James Blunt. Then we tend to watch a couple of movies per week.

Current source player absolutely sucks ...... I have asked Santa for a new Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi ...... once I get a source capable of playing DVDA & SACD I hope to grow that library

Thanks again for any and all input

Comment

• DM3000 Owner
                • Jun 2006

Originally posted by bw4sure
                I have an opportunity to buy myself a used pair of 802D's. Unfortunately I do not have the cash available to buy a top of the line Classe / Macintosh / Bryston type of amp at this time. What I do have is a brand new Pioneer Elite VSX-84TSXi ...... now I know you audiophiles are probably cringing at that thought but i have heard the Pioneer / B&W combo and I was very impressed. My question is ...... if i have this combo and I want to give it some more power , especially in a 2-ch set up, could I add say a Rotel RB 1092?

Wwhen using a 'lesser' receiver in a pre-amp situation, does the 'better' amp shine through? or is it held back?

Thanks
                I agree, get the speakers and upgrade the rest later. Check out the thread "N802's need amp advice" (or something like that). You can get into a nice amp/preamp and CD player for about $2000 or so if you choose wisely and use Audiogon.

Comment

• Ted
                  • May 2006

Get the speakers and just upgrade as you go. Just think, you'll probably love the speakers from the start (I wish I could get a pair ;x( ), but then as you upgrade, they will only keep getting better and better!

I hope Santa is good to you!! :W

Ted
                  Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• jayhawk75
                    • Apr 2006

Listening habits ...... stereo is on 3-5 hours per day, 5 days a week with music such as Barenaked Ladies, Fleetwood Mac, Eagles, Barbra Streisand, and James Blunt. Then we tend to watch a couple of movies per week.

Current source player absolutely sucks ...... I have asked Santa for a new Pioneer Elite DV-79AVi ...... once I get a source capable of playing DVDA & SACD I hope to grow that library

with the multichannel equipment that you have and have asked santa for... and typically only listen to stereo with a few movies thrown in be careful. the 802d's you are getting are going to demand respect from the matched speakers you are soon going to want to fill out your system. it is going to be fun watching. good choice in the 802d as you are going to have an immediate smile as you will find that they give you a result that can be heard at the first playing.

Comment

• zakhaku
                      • Nov 2006

I was in the same dilemna a few weeks ago, the forum members here helped me get to an awesome solution. Here is what I have:

Integra DTC-9.4 Pre/Pro
                      Crown K2 Amplifier (awesome value for the money)
                      Sony DVP-NS3100ES SACD/DVD

If you shop around wisely on Audiogon/Ebay, you can buy this whole setup for < $1500

I suggest waiting a few weeks, prices on ebay have shot up 25-30% because of Christmas.

Comment

• chinets
                        • Jun 2005

Get the best speakers you can NOW ,and your Pioneer Elite will do your speakers well ,and YES you can add a Rotel 1092 to the mixx, to give those speakers enough juice to sing. :T
                        Cheers

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"