X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • fatswillie123
    • Dec 2006

703 versus 804

I listened to a pair of 703's and 804's at the dealer. Wanted to like the 804's better as I think they really look good. To my surprise the 703's sounded more airy and less boxy, boomy. I have seen these comments elsewhere on the web. I will be listening to TV and DVD's in addition to CD's. I will have no center channel. Please comment
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

804 owner - you can guess that my opinion differs. Did you have a long or short listening session. Sometimes it can take time to appreciate the virtues of a speaker.

You may also want to try the same comparison at another dealer - different electronics, different room etc etc before you form a final opinion.

Lots of happy 703 & 804 owners on this forum. I'm in the latter group.
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Kent Turb0
      • Jun 2005

Deleted
      Last edited by Kent Turb0; 16 June 2018, 21:02 Saturday.

Comment

• ac81017
        • Aug 2006

Originally posted by Kent Turb0
        Is this how everyone looks at this picture?

704 < 805S < 703

805S < 703 partly because of the FST driver

Oh yes, that´s what I´ve been doing these last two months. Listening to 703/704 and 805! So far the 703 and 704 like the most, but I need more listening hours to that I can really get to feel they work with all kinds of music that I listen to! :T

Comment

• William
          • Aug 2006

Originally posted by fatswillie123
          I listened to a pair of 703's and 804's at the dealer. Wanted to like the 804's better as I think they really look good. To my surprise the 703's sounded more airy and less boxy, boomy. I have seen these comments elsewhere on the web. I will be listening to TV and DVD's in addition to CD's. I will have no center channel. Please comment
          A couple of years ago I was going to buy the 703's and had my mind set, seeing the 804's as the same basic speaker for more money. After comparing to the 804's I changed my mind. If found almost the opposite of what you found to be true. I have since upgraded to 803D's

Comment

• Ted
            • May 2006

I have gone through the same decision this year and just this month received my equipment and speakers. I spent a lot of time with both the 703 and 804, run by Rotel RCD-1072, RC-1070, and RB-1080 (I have a separate HT, so I was only interested in 2 channel). To me the 804s sounded just a little more laid back and pleasant to listen to than the 703. However, it was just slight to my ears. The 703 are a little more forward or bright. I liked the 804 more, but not enough to justify the extra $1000 retail. If there weren't a lot of other toys I'd currently like to buy, I'd probably go with the 804s, but a new stereo is not my only interest so the 703 were the best compromise. In the end, I decided though I can hear the difference when comparing the two, I didn't think I'd notice the 703 as not sounding as good when I was at home and had nothing to compare it to. While I've enjoyed music and the equipment for years, I'm new to this more serious audio so my experience in a year or two may have been different.

I was a little nervous at first, the 703 were pretty bright when I got them home. I knew they'd have to break in so I waited and I'd say they sound great now. Either I'm more used to them or they've broken in more, but I'm very happy with my purchase now. I have very inexpensive interconnects and speaker cable right now, so when I've saved my up for something better I hope to be even happier yet.

In the end, I think most everyone here will tell you the 804 is a better speaker but you need to let your own ears, budget, etc tell you what will make you the happiest.

Good luck and let us kow what you think!!

Ted
            Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• fatswillie123
              • Dec 2006

Wellllllll, I took the plunge today. Went with the 804's. Yes, $1000 more, but just looking at them, is almost worth the price difference.

Comment

• Ted
                • May 2006

Wellllllll, I took the plunge today. Went with the 804's. Yes, $1000 more, but just looking at them, is almost worth the price difference.
                Agreed, they look great! Though I really like the 703 too (I have two little ones around, so they won't try to grab that microphone on top!! :rofl: )

Enjoy, they'll only get better!!

Ted
                Ted

"I've gone to this high school for seven and a half years - I'm no dummy." - Better Off Dead opcorn:

Comment

• wb2fcr
                  • Dec 2005

fatswillie123 - congrats! What kind of amp you running them with?

I too looked at both the 703 and 894S, and went with the 804s. I've now had them for a couple of months. They've broken in and sound great!

Welcome to the club!
                  Dave

Comment

• yourtoys7
                    • Feb 2006

Looks do matter !, they do sound better too, but just look at them hmmm.
                    Enjoy your 804S.
                    Sony AT 150" 16x9 screen
                    PSB T6,
                    Velodyne SPL 1000R
                    Rotel RSX-1057
                    Rotel RB-1070
                    OPPO 103
                    Apple TV
                    [

Comment

• fatswillie123
                      • Dec 2006

My current amp is ah ah ah a "receiver" Pioneer VSX-5600, yes I said the derided word. Looking to upgrade in the future. If I add a sub and a center channel, will have to get a 5.1......any suggestions???? I don't need any video inputs, as I think it's crazy to run video through an amp.

Comment

• Kent Turb0
                        • Jun 2005

Deleted
                        Last edited by Kent Turb0; 16 June 2018, 21:02 Saturday.

Comment

• wb2fcr
                          • Dec 2005

My current amp is ah ah ah a "receiver" Pioneer VSX-5600, yes I said the derided word. Looking to upgrade in the future. If I add a sub and a center channel, will have to get a 5.1......any suggestions???? I don't need any video inputs, as I think it's crazy to run video through an amp.
                          Watch out for the upgrade virus - once it bites...

I would humbly suggest getting a separate amp for the 804s. I ran my mine for a brief time with a Denon 3803, I then upgraded to a separate amp and processor and the 804s really began to sing.

If your receiver has pre outputs you can use it as a processor and connect it to an external amp.

I'm using a Rotel amp, but there's a number of good amps out there, depends on how much $$$, and like speakers, everyone has their opinions. If you can find a dealer or dealers who will let you borrow a couple of different amps to demo them.

I've also tried Bryston and liked it, but it was too much money for me at the time.
                          Dave

Comment

• chinets
                            • Jun 2005

Congratulations on those 804s! Great choice and you jumped directly into the big leagues!! :T

I like the 703 for HT ,as they are in box sound and has less arc dispersion, so you can tell immediately what speaker is playing and where the sound is comming from and they sound as if they are comming out of a boxed speaker. 804s on the other hand have a large arc of dispersion ,so the sound does not seem like it is comming out of a specific speakers, so as to say, it is as if they are not comming out of a box, so you cannot tell what speaker the sound is comming from ,so it is basically floating in the air.
                            That is why 800 series are great for Music and HT is a simple extra. The 700 series is excellent for HT as you can actually pin point where the bullet landed for example ,but too bright and forward for Music. 700 series bring on fatigue very quickly, while 800 series is more warm and laid back and correct natural sounding.
                            My 2 cents!
                            Cheers

Comment

• Shyamalan
                              • Sep 2006

Unfortunately I still did't listen the 804 and the 803. I listen a few weeks ago the 703 and they liked me very much. Anyway, I'd like they have more bass.

How is the bass in the 804 and the 803? More or less like the 703?
                              Do you think we can improve the low frecuencies with a good subwoofer?

Obviusly, the better way to find it out is listening it but where I live I can't do that.
                              Thank you.

Comment

• Ted
                                • May 2006

Originally posted by Shyamalan
                                Unfortunately I still did't listen the 804 and the 803. I listen a few weeks ago the 703 and they liked me very much. Anyway, I'd like they have more bass.

How is the bass in the 804 and the 803? More or less like the 703?
                                Do you think we can improve the low frecuencies with a good subwoofer?

Obviusly, the better way to find it out is listening it but where I live I can't do that.
                                Thank you.
                                In my comparisons, I found the bass to be very similar with the 703 and 804, I noticed a lot more difference in the upper frequencies. I have not heard the 803 (d or s), but have heard they tend to have even more bass. I was amazed :E at how much bass a 7 inch woofer can produce with good amplication behind it. I thought I might make a 2.1 system when I started out, but since getting the 703, I don't really feel the need for a sub for 2 channel music. :T

Good Luck!
                                Ted
                                Ted

Comment

• dknightd
                                  • Mar 2006

FWIW I prefered the 804 over the 703. The highs and upper midrange seemed to be more coherant in the 804 than in the 703. It wasn't a huge difference so I went with the 703 because they better fit my budget. In the room I heard them in the bass was surprisingly comparible. The difference between the 703 and 803 was much bigger, but I don't want to get in debt for music, and it was time for new speakers, so I went with the 703. It took a several weeks, but now I am happy with them at home. I think part of this time was the speakers breaking in, part of it was me getting used to them, and part of it was room modifications. I found I had to treat my room to get the best out of the 703. I had to treat the first reflection points on the walls and ceilings (already had a rug on the floor) to help calm the somewhat bright sound of the 703. I also had to add many bass/broadband traps. In the past I had been building speakers, and making them work with my room. Now I find myself making the room work with the speakers. If I sit in the sweet spot my 703 sound very good now. I think when it comes to bass, speaker placement and listening position make a huge difference. I haven't figured out exactly how to tune this yet. Certainly changing horizontal position, and adding bass absorbers in the corners makes a big difference. But still the bass is not as even in my room as it was with my homebuilt speakers. I think the difference may be due to the vertical placement of the bass drivers. I used to use a single driver about 3' from the floor for bass, the 703 has two drivers much closer to the floor. I suspect I need to get the 703 up off the floor a little bit to help out room responce. It may take only a few inches, not sure yet. Or just get a good subwoofer, or two. . .

Comment

• dknightd
                                    • Mar 2006

P.s. Chinets, for my money the 703 make a darn good 2 channel system. If I was building a 5.1 system on the same money I'd use 600 series. If I had more money I still wouldn't use the the 703 for a suround system - better to step up to the 800 series to get a better match. To me the 703 fills a peculiar nitch - it is a great 2 channel speaker that happened to fit my price point. It will probably be discontinued, since that seems to happen to things I like. The 703 is about the only speaker in b&w lineup that does not seem well suited to HT IMO. The CM7 might have the same problem. There really is no good center and suround option for these speakers. IMO you need to step up, or down to get a good, well matched, 5.1 system from B&W.

Comment

• fatswillie123
                                      • Dec 2006

A last minute wrinkle concerning my speaker quest. Might have the chance to change my order from the 804's to a pair of 803S's. My room is 12 X 12. Would this be too much speaker for the room?

Comment

• Shyamalan
                                        • Sep 2006

I think the previous post is very interesting. Can somebody tell us which should be the correct size of a room for the 703, 804, 805 and 803?
                                        Thank you.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                          Super Senior Member
                                          • Mar 2005

medium, medium,small (or medium with a sub), and medium/large.

I don't think anyone will tell you how large a room for each of these speakers in any more detail. 805 is probably the easiest to tame for a very small room, otherwise most people probably get what they like the sound of (as they all have their own sound) and what they can afford.
                                          Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)

Comment

• ChrisssB
                                            • Feb 2006

I have 804S in a room 3.5X4 meters and its fine.
                                            with some treatment:
                                            - I have parquet floor so i've my 804S on 3 cm marble tiles (so to avoid resonances)
                                            -I have placed sound absorbing tiles behind them because of their proximity to back wall
                                            Keep in mind that room dimensions are one part of the equation.... materials and furniture play a big role 2!

Comment

• Tasmon
                                              • Dec 2006

I owned the 703's for about a year and like them very much, my first experience with B&W. I took the 804s home over the weekend for a demo a couple of months ago and was sold within a minute. I have not regretted the cost of the upgrade in the least.
                                              To me the most surprising difference of the sound was the quality and depth of the bass that speakers have even at low volumes. The midrange is similar to 703’s and the highs for me sounded more detail and refine. Hooking up the 703’s after demo I still liked the sound of the 703’ but I liked 804s much better and was worth the price difference.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                                                Super Senior Member
                                                • Mar 2005

I just heard my well run in 804s with a decent CD player (shanling T80) for the first time (not including my pre-purchase audition at the store on a different and much more expensive player) running on my CJ tube pre and Nakamichi amp (which keeps rising in my opinion). All I can say is that if you think the 804s has a boxed in sound with ponderous boomy bass you are not talking about the speakers but some other component or the room.

A decent CD player is now very very high on my list of goodies to get as I am now convinced more than ever that the 804s is a very sweet sounding speaker. Yes I am sure that you can buy better but if the 804 is a far as you budget will stretch then the B&W option is hard to beat - you just need to make sure that all the other factors allow them to work as well as they can.

Comment

• chinets
                                                  • Jun 2005

Shyamalan,
                                                  703 have bass, but a little shy on it. 804 have much better accurate bass, and don't need a sub. 803 have great bass and very accurate and smooth. To my ears and In my opinion 803 have perfect sounding bass Midrange and highs.
                                                  If you are into HT then you will need a sub regardless of what speakers you have, but in 2 channel stereo mode then 804 and 803 will have sufficient bass for you to be more than comfortable with NO sub at all, but 703, just might need that sub.
                                                  Hope that help you.
                                                  703 for medium to small rooms, and sub maybe required
                                                  805 for small room with SUB
                                                  804 for medium to large room NO sub required
                                                  803 for Large room and No SUB required at all

Cheers!

Comment

• Shyamalan
                                                    • Sep 2006

What do you think about the SCMS as rear speakers with the 804 and the HTM3S?
                                                    I think they are a bit cheaper than the 805.

Comment

• fatswillie123
                                                      • Dec 2006

My 804's up and running for a few days. (very happy camper, but I know they have not reached their potential) They are not bi-wired yet, but will be soon. Any suggestions on bi-wire, please under $200.00, for the pair. Currently running with my old Pioneer VSX-5600, purchased a Rotel RSX-1057, but before I opened that box, going back for the RSX-1067. Any other ideas, I don't have room for seperates.

Comment

• akhter
                                                        • Jun 2005

A last minute wrinkle concerning my speaker quest. Might have the chance to change my order from the 804's to a pair of 803S's. My room is 12 X 12. Would this be too much speaker for the room?
                                                        You are better off getting the 804S and spending extra on other areas that you mentioned earlier. Look into receivers like the Arcam AVR 300/350 or a pre/pro based separetes...

Comment

• B&W 700 Guy
                                                          • Jun 2006

I didn't see the bang for buck buying the 804 (IMO). I wanted the 803'S, but, By purchasing the 703's I was able to buy a 5.1 system. Now when I am ready to purchase 803's and a matching Center, I will move the 703's to the surrounds and my old B&W surrouds to the rears. The MidrangeHigher frequency was a little better with the 804 and the bass was much better with the 703. It made sence for my migration path. Also, 703/804'S need a sub

Comment

• Kent Turb0
                                                            • Jun 2005

Deleted
                                                            Last edited by Kent Turb0; 16 June 2018, 21:16 Saturday.

Comment

• akhter
                                                              • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Kent Turb0
                                                              Nice, 804S for everyone!!! Nah, you've all been bad this year :B .

Okay, since this thread is slowing down on posts. I will ask a question:

703 < 805 + Sub. Does everyone disagree?

I know its up to my ears to decide, but is this how people look at it?

Thanks!
                                                              IMHO subs are essential if you listen to music with a lot of drum work as well as movie. So yes. 805+sub in my books will be better than 703, assuming the sub is good (accurate/fast) enough to match the 805.

Comment

• Shyamalan
                                                                • Sep 2006

But do you think that the extra money of the 800 series deserves the money?
                                                                A ht with 805 instead 703 cost much more money because the central and the rear speakers are more expensive.

Comment

• B&W 700 Guy
                                                                  • Jun 2006

A ht with 805 instead 703 cost much more money because the central and the rear speakers are more expensive.
                                                                  IMO. if you listen to alot of two channel music, 703's. If its mostly HT, you could go with 805'S and the sub. Then in the future you could upgrade to 803 or 804 fronts and move the 805's to the rears.

Is this your final purchase or do you want to upgrade in the future?

Comment

• Mark_C.
                                                                    Senior Member
                                                                    • Jan 2003

What law requires that you have 805s all around? I've used 601S2s as my rears for many years with N805 and HTM2 front speakers without issue. The only time there would be an issue is if you want to listen to hi-rez surround music on the HT, which I don't do.

Comment

• Shyamalan
                                                                      • Sep 2006

Mark C., so you think that a ht system with a couple of 804, a htm3s and a couple of DM601 S3 as rears would work fine?

Comment

• Mark_C.
                                                                        Senior Member
                                                                        • Jan 2003

Mark C., so you think that a ht system with a couple of 804, a htm3s and a couple of DM601 S3 as rears would work fine?
                                                                        Absolutely!

Comment

• wb2fcr
                                                                          Member
                                                                          • Dec 2005

Shyamalan - I'm using 804S, HTM3S and DM600 S3 as the rears for my HT system. Sounds great! I may upgrade the rears to 805s someday, but I'm happy with the 600s for now.
                                                                          Dave

Comment

• Bluespower
                                                                            Senior Member
                                                                            • Sep 2005
                                                                            • 149

I have 804s and an HTM1 in the front with DS6s on the sides and am fine with it. Sure HiRez sources could be better, but it is not nearly as bad as some would have you believe...
                                                                            Bluespower

Comment

• Angioguy
                                                                              Senior Member
                                                                              • Nov 2005
                                                                              • 100

#39
                                                                              Very, very subjective here. About a year ago I listened to the 703's, 805's and 804's with a variety of amplifiers-- the 800 series, without a shadow of a doubt, did it for me....
                                                                              B&W 802D, HTMS-4; Velodyne DD-12, Arcam AVR-300, McIntosh MC-402, Musical Fidelity KW-SACD, Pioneer Elite

"... these go to eleven."

Comment

• Mitchell
                                                                                Senior Member
                                                                                • Sep 2004
                                                                                • 202

#40
                                                                                When I was auditioning speakers I started with the 704's then went to the 703's and then considered the 804's
                                                                                While I did find an improvement in the 804's over the 703's, I didnt find it was significant enough to justify the price difference and I had to draw the line somewhere.
                                                                                The 803's on the other hand were clearly superior and not in my budget as was another speaker system for $200,000.
                                                                                I have been happy with the 703's ever since.
                                                                                I hope this is helpful.
                                                                                Mitchell

Comment

Working...
                                                                                Searching...Please wait.
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                                                An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                                                There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                                                Search Result for "|||"