B&S 804S – Classe cp-500 & ca-2200 a good match?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ChrisssB
    • Feb 2006

B&S 804S – Classe cp-500 & ca-2200 a good match?

Being a 2ch audio fan I bought a pair of B&W 804S. Now it’s the time to buy some proper amplification to drive them so to get the best out of them. Classe cp-500 & ca-2200 look and sound wonderful and I’m sure they can make 804S sing. BUT is it really a fine match? I mean 804S cost 4.000 Euros while classe pre and amp 9.800 Euros! More than double! Does this mean that the classe pack is on a different quality league? Would my 804S do injustice to classe pack?
    What are your thoughts about it? Should I go on and spend 9.800 euros (about 12.300 US $ - yeah we are being ripped of here in Europe) or do I look elsewhere?

PS. Room is about 3.5 X 4.5 meters
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

I think I have been hanging round this forum too long. Seems the same questions keep coming up. I would recommend searching this forum on 804s and Classe as I am pretty sure that this has been discussed before.

I would say that the amplification you are looking at would be ideal for say 803D. Of course if you are going to trade up then go for it. If not then you may do better spending that money more evenly on your system. Not sure what source you are using but split your money between a good CD player and amplification, plus a little for decent interconnects/cables and you should be grinning. Im sure you will get lots of suggestions re brands as the choice is pretty good at around the price of a pair of 804s (again a search of this forum will turn up alot of recent suggestions)

Most importantly, have fun checking out your options
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• jlee
      • Aug 2004

Originally posted by ChrisssB
      Being a 2ch audio fan I bought a pair of B&W 804S. Now it’s the time to buy some proper amplification to drive them so to get the best out of them. Classe cp-500 & ca-2200 look and sound wonderful and I’m sure they can make 804S sing. BUT is it really a fine match? I mean 804S cost 4.000 Euros while classe pre and amp 9.800 Euros! More than double! Does this mean that the classe pack is on a different quality league? Would my 804S do injustice to classe pack?
      What are your thoughts about it? Should I go on and spend 9.800 euros (about 12.300 US $ - yeah we are being ripped of here in Europe) or do I look elsewhere?

PS. Room is about 3.5 X 4.5 meters
      Good choice... go for it... the fact that the classe costs double the speakers doesn't mean they are out of the 804S league... I had N804 for 4 years going through upgrades and that was the thing that lasted the longest... I recently traded and went with 804S... and I have Classe CDP-102 and SSP-300 (similar to CP-500)... I also have CAM-350 amps... the 804 was able to make all the subtle differences noticeable.

I didn't go with 803S or 803D because my room is not the biggest... I think the whole series (804 to 800) are ALL in a top notch league deserving of the finest ancilliary equipment.

Comment

• chuck1801
        • Feb 2006

I think that it is probably slightly more than necessary but certainly not wasted. I have 804S for my rear channels but if I was going to use them in a 2 ch system I would buy the Classe CAP2100 integrated instead and use the money saved to buy a terrifc source or a bunch of music.

Comment

• ChrisssB
          • Feb 2006

Thanx for your replies ppl :-)

Briz: choice aint really that great if you consider that proper amplification should be stable @3 ohms and also its quality should be about equal to that of speakers. At 4000-5000 euros not many entries! But what you suggest is absolutly right (to me, cause there are ppl who dont believe in equal money splitting and remember we r talking 2 channel stereo)

jlee: a good choice indeed :-) But then again with that kind of money one could get
          his hands on some überamp like Gryphon Diablo !

I'm still confused but hey it is fun checking options :-)

Comment

• wolfgang
            • Jul 2006

Not sure whether it was the amps or just because the 804S was a good speaker but the combination you suggested at the top made the most convincing sound I have heard yet of the Du Pre's Elgar Cello Concerto. It was a simple small 12'x8' shop room. Or maybe it was the silent 802D sitting in the corners breaking up the room standing waves.

Comment

• ChrisssB
              • Feb 2006

Lol :-)

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"