X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • duketbrd88
    • Jul 2009

CA2200 click sound ???

I have a classe ca2200, cp500 and B&W 804s's. My monitor is a pioneer elite pro101fd and dish network is my service provider. I always watch tv through this system every night. I listen to tv with the volume on the cp500 at 35db. anyways i always hear a clicking sound every so often coming from the ca2200, sounds like a relay clicking coming from the amp. Doesn't come through the speakers or affect anything. it is more annoying then anything and was wondering if this is normal? Would there be some relay that would do this when the volume is changed up or down. All i know is it sounds like a clicking or relay inside the amp clicking. Thanks, MIKE
  • gerardhn
    • Jun 2005

No, This is not normal,
    It clicks only when you switch on or off.
    For the rest ca 2220 is silent.
    Gerard

Comment

• wettou
      Ultra Senior Member
      • May 2006

on the CA-5200 each amps switch on one at a time like a vault reasy to open
      Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• vinylmeister
        • Sep 2009

No this is not normal, should only click ;x( twice during power-on. Does not click during power off
        Marantz SA-11S2 -> Cardas Golden Presence -> Classe CP-500 -> Cardas Quadlink -> CA-2200 -> Cardas Quadlink -> B&W 802d

Comment

• duketbrd88
          • Jul 2009

I hear mine click every once and awhile when i am watching tv. It is not all the time, but at least once or twice a night. I know it clicks when you turn it on, but this is different. I have had it for less then a year and it has done it since day one. like i said it plays fine, sounds great. I called classe awhile back and they said i could be hearing something like expanding of something on the inside as it warms up, i can't remember exactly what he said. I made another call to them today just to see what they say. it is hard to explain, the only way i can describe it is a clicking or pinging sound sort of like when you thermostat in your house clicks on.

Comment

• Srrndhound
            • Sep 2008

Originally posted by duketbrd88
            I called classe awhile back and they said i could be hearing something like expanding of something on the inside as it warms up, i can't remember exactly what he said. I made another call to them today just to see what they say. it is hard to explain, the only way i can describe it is a clicking or pinging sound sort of like when you thermostat in your house clicks on.
            I hear something exactly like that from my CAV-150 from time-to-time. In my case it is related with the heating of the chassis, and the expansion that causes against the the top piece. It changes if I loosen/tighten the screws in the top. But it's hard to say where it happens in any other given unit. Could be the heatsinks, front panel, or other joints.

Purely mechanical and totally harmless from an operational perspective.

Comment

• duketbrd88
              • Jul 2009

Srmdhound, that sounds like what they told me and i think what is going on, because it seems to happen later on in the evening when the amp warms up more , the amp sounds fine and i can't physically reproduce the sound. MIKE

Comment

• wettou
                Ultra Senior Member
                • May 2006

I hear mine click every once and awhile when i am watching tv. It is not all the time, but at least once or twice a night. I know it clicks when you turn it on, but this is different. I have had it for less then a year and it has done it since day one. like i said it plays fine, sounds great. I called classe awhile back and they said i could be hearing something like expanding of something on the inside as it warms up, i can't remember exactly what he said. I made another call to them today just to see what they say. it is hard to explain, the only way i can describe it is a clicking or pinging sound sort of like when you thermostat in your house clicks on.
                When it heats up the metal can click, it happens with the amps!
                Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field."Dwight D. Eisenhower

Comment

• duketbrd88
                  • Jul 2009

thanks wettou, i think that is going on. Never experienced this before with an amp. It does make sense, everything expands and contracts. i never had it happen to a rotel1080 or the parasoundA21 i had, but classe is a different amp. well it can click all it wants, i still love my amp!!! By the way i am fairly new to this forum and just want to thank all of you guys for your help. I have been reading here for years. What we need to do is start a thread, why are wives hate are hobby so much...LMFAO!!!!!!!! It's ok when they need 20 different designer purses. I just had to throw this out there.

Comment

• Classe4me
                    • Dec 2007

Ping and Clink

I have the CA-5200 and it will almost always ping and clink just a little after it has gotten warmed up to operating temperature. You are definitely hearing the expansion and contraction of the aluminum. Aluminum is very conductive, the obvious reason it is used for the heat sinks, and as it gets warmer, especially if you are giving the amp a good workout, the aluminum is going to expand and push against adjoining parts on or in the chassis. The different parts, such as the top, the sides, and the heat sinks are all different thicknesses, therefore they cannot expand and contract at the same rate. This is why you will hear the pinging/clinking sounds after you have had it powered up for a while.

I will bet the farm that you have never heard it make noise when it's sitting there in standby mode have you? It's not unlike pulling your car in the garage after using it, as it starts cooling down you typically hear ticking-like noises as it begins to cool down.

I have to admit that I find it to be mildly annoying myself, as I have a hypersensitivity to just about any noise that is out of the norm for any given situation. In other words, I can have a movie or music cranked up pretty loud, and if my wife is in the kitchen crunching ice, that will be all I can hear and focus on is the sound of ice crunching. Being borderline obsessive/compulsive can be a curse for sure, but it does force me to be somewhat of a perfectionist and very conscientious. I haven't quite figured out if that part is good or bad??

Comment

• duketbrd88
                      • Jul 2009

Classe4me, i hear ya. I am a little obsessive myself, stuff like you said drives me nuts. The only time i hear it in standby mode is about five minutes after i turn it off, i assume it is because it is cooling down. Yes i find it annoying. I never heard it when it was in an open glass shelf bello stand, but now it is in a cabinet so it gets a little warmer now. Still love the amp. Thanks for the input. Mike

Comment

• Classe4me
                        • Dec 2007

Classe4me, i hear ya. I am a little obsessive myself, stuff like you said drives me nuts. The only time i hear it in standby mode is about five minutes after i turn it off, i assume it is because it is cooling down. Yes i find it annoying. I never heard it when it was in an open glass shelf bello stand, but now it is in a cabinet so it gets a little warmer now. Still love the amp. Thanks for the input. Mike
                        I touch of irony here, oddly enough when mine was in my Bell'O glass shelf stand, I did not ever here mine. Of course when it lived there, I refabricated the stand by narrowing it, and did the no-no thing of stacking components on top of one another. The weight of the components, plus being closed in with the slab sides as they were, must have attenuated the noise to where I didn't pay attention to it....an oddity considering my neurotic self!

Only when I moved all of the Classe pieces out on their dedicated Classe rack (which my O/C self had to refabricate a little as well!) did I start to hear the pinging/clinking noises from the heat sinks. It's easy to understand why they do this when you see the construction. They show the top views of both your and my amp in their brochure. My amp has five SEPARATE heat sinks! Not necessarily thinking this is bad, it's just more separate parts that can expand and contract and make noise. I am including the link to that brochure and you can see how the heat sinks are situated, especially on mine where the two that flank the sides are butted right up to one another. I know that when these get hot and expand, they have to be making contact and pushing at one another. Not a big deal, but perhaps they could put a thin piece of isolation material between them to act as an expansion joint.

Here is the link to the 2008 Classe brochure for anyone that would enjoy having it on their desktop for reference or such: http://www.classeaudio.com/downloads...08-FinalLR.pdf

Note that they no longer show the discontinued SSP-300 or 600 any longer.

Comment

• duketbrd88
                          • Jul 2009

That's weird, mine was the bell'o stand with the cherry slab sides and silver poles to support the glass shelves. i still have it and will be using it when i finish my other room in the basement.

Comment

• wettou
                            Ultra Senior Member
                            • May 2006

Why is the SSP-800 warmer than the amps?

Comment

• duketbrd88
                              • Jul 2009

I don't know, that seems odd. My CP500 pre amp is always cool, but a lot less going on in there.

Comment

• style
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Feb 2006

Hy,

I agree with Classe4me.

the ca5200 make this "little" click sound" for a lot of reason.
                                -> Classe4me have valid explication....

SSP800 warmer than the ampli??? 8O 8O
                                maybe the first week....

Style

Comment

• hifiguymi
                                  Super Senior Member
                                  • Mar 2007

Originally posted by wettou
                                  Why is the SSP-800 warmer than the amps?
                                  DSP engines generate quite a bit of heat. If the amps aren't working that hard, it's not a surprise the processor is warmer.

Eric

Comment

• Oddiophile
                                    • Jul 2008

In particular, when DTS is running my experience is that it generates a lot of heat--definitely more than Dolby.

Jim

Comment

• Classe4me
                                      • Dec 2007

That's weird, mine was the bell'o stand with the cherry slab sides and silver poles to support the glass shelves. i still have it and will be using it when i finish my other room in the basement.
                                      It sounds like you have the exact same stand as me....well, except that mine is 8 inches narrower than yours now. It was a really good looking stand, and I loved it when I saw it. Only thing was, right after I brought it home I saw the one they offered in the espresso color...if only I would have known! The cherry does look quite nice though.

The reason I narrowed mine was after getting the classe rack and setting it next to the Bell'O, it made it look really wide, plus it crowded things between the speakers. If you will PM me an email address I would be glad to show you what it looks like narrowed. I just disassembled it, cut 4 inches off of each side of all the silver support bars, and had three new pieces of glass cut by a friend that works for a huge glass company. I think he charged me all of about $40 for the three pieces.

As for the SSP temp being higher than your amp, is it possible that the heat is rising up from the amp and causing the temp of the processor to rise? I know my 600 doesn't have the processing power that the 800 does, but mine doesn't get nearly as warm as my amp.

I think I am going to start a new thread concerning heat in our systems and what measures people have taken to deal with it.

Comment

• duketbrd88
                                        • Jul 2009

pm sent!

Comment

• duketbrd88
                                          • Jul 2009

classe4me, yes i believe that is the same stand. it is a great stand, i used to have my 300lb sony 36" tv on it, one of the only stands at the time that i could find that could handle all of the weight with some equipment. Now it is sitting in storage waiting for me to finish a new room in my basement.

Comment

• gerardhn
                                            • Jun 2005

hi,
                                            I get lost!. What have all these questions and replies to do with the original click sound question of a 2200 amplifier???
                                            To me not relevant in this thread. Sorry

Comment

• Classe4me
                                              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by gerardhn
                                              hi,
                                              I get lost!. What have all these questions and replies to do with the original click sound question of a 2200 amplifier???
                                              To me not relevant in this thread. Sorry
                                              Most of the posts do address the noises, and the reason that the post got off on a bit of a tangent, was due to the fact that the racks and components either affect the heating up, or retention of heat of said components, therefore causing the amps to expand and contract, and making the very noise we have been discussing. There are some people on here that have their components stacked directly on top of the other (I used to myself), and I think there are curiosities on how all of this ties in and can affect the temperatures of the components.

I will plead guilty to going astray when I discovered that duketbrd88 (Mike) and I have the same rack, and volleyed a couple of sentences back and forth about it. I don't think there is a post on here that doesn't veer into another direction to some degree. I did however move our conversation to PM that I will complete off the board.

I guess the remote thread went from factory remotes, to universal remotes, to operating temperatures as well.

I tend to get a little bored now and then, and get a little carried away when the subject matter hits a topic that I get excited about. I'll try to stay on topic in the future, but there are always going to be tie-ins to most posts that inevitably change the subject matter. Changes that most would consider to serve some form of a purpose.

Hopefully no harm, no foul!

Peace!

Tom

Comment

• wettou
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • May 2006

Originally posted by Classe4me
                                                Most of the posts do address the noises, and the reason that the post got off on a bit of a tangent, was due to the fact that the racks and components either affect the heating up, or retention of heat of said components, therefore causing the amps to expand and contract, and making the very noise we have been discussing. There are some people on here that have their components stacked directly on top of the other (I used to myself), and I think there are curiosities on how all of this ties in and can affect the temperatures of the components.

I will plead guilty to going astray when I discovered that duketbrd88 (Mike) and I have the same rack, and volleyed a couple of sentences back and forth about it. I don't think there is a post on here that doesn't veer into another direction to some degree. I did however move our conversation to PM that I will complete off the board.

I guess the remote thread went from factory remotes, to universal remotes, to operating temperatures as well.

I tend to get a little bored now and then, and get a little carried away when the subject matter hits a topic that I get excited about. I'll try to stay on topic in the future, but there are always going to be tie-ins to most posts that inevitably change the subject matter. Changes that most would consider to serve some form of a purpose.

Hopefully no harm, no foul!

Peace!

Tom
                                                I could not agree more, relax and you will see......

Comment

• duketbrd88
                                                  • Jul 2009

Thank you wettou and classe4me, there is an old saying " Don't sweat the petty things in life, pet the sweaty things". Like there isn't a post in this forum that doesn't drift a little and i guess if you get lost, well i just don't know i guess your lost. RELAX RELAX RELAX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"