• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • georgev
    • Jul 2004

Dilemma - 802 HT Upgrade Options?

Help me decide.

Current setup:
    N802 with HTM 1 for the front 3, with 4 X CDM SNT's for surrounds.
    Front L&R driven by ML 336, while Centre and surrounds are being driven by Proceed HPA 3 and Proceed AMP 5. Two Paradigm Servo 15's for Low Frequencies.

I am moving to my new home and will be separating my stereo from HT.

Option 1:
    Retain N802's for stereo and buy 803D's and HTM2D for front three.

Option 2:
    Use N802 and N HTM1 for HT, and buy 802D's for Stereo.

I can't do both at the same time(cost) and for either option the cost is almost the same.

Suggestions?

About 50% music and 50% HT. Not so much Multichannel music. Any need to change the surrounds?

George
  • georgev
    • Jul 2004

Sorry, one more option:

Retain current setup for HT and get a used N801 for music(half the cost of the other two options).
    Cheers,
    George.

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

Nice dilemma George. I suggest buying 2 pairs of N801s and send me the second pair.

I am no expert on the marlan headed gear so I will leave the serious comments for others. I will say that our local dealer reckons the 802D is better than the N800 - if that is the case the option with the 802D is best for music perfectionists. As you are 50/50 music and film I would imagine that you are not that fanatical about your music, so maybe the N801 is the way to go if you have a big room that can handle the bass from those big bass drivers.
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• ShadowZA
        Super Senior Member
        • Jan 2006

I would get the diamond tweets for stereo. Either the 803D's or the 802D's. I can't tell you which is better as that is a personal choice. You need to compare the two as difficult as that may be in the practical sense.

Most of the folk here prefer the 802D's and at a guess I'd say that if you bought them (the 802D's), you'd simply never look back.

Good luck

& please let us know how your decision pans out.

Comment

• georgev
          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by Briz vegas
          Nice dilemma George. I suggest buying 2 pairs of N801s and send me the second pair.

I am no expert on the marlan headed gear so I will leave the serious comments for others. I will say that our local dealer reckons the 802D is better than the N800 - if that is the case the option with the 802D is best for music perfectionists. As you are 50/50 music and film I would imagine that you are not that fanatical about your music, so maybe the N801 is the way to go if you have a big room that can handle the bass from those big bass drivers.

The room for the stereo is a 5.5m by 4.7m room, not sure in feet. Will this be too small for the 801's?

When I said 50/50 what I meant was time wise, otherwise stereo is my main preference.

If I go for the 802d's would I need a sub as well?

Comment

• georgev
            • Jul 2004

By the way Briz, would have sent you another pair of 801's but there is only one available for me currently.
            With regards the dealer saying that the 802d is better than the N800, I guess he would have to say so, but what do others such as you and me hear the music.

Comment

• Aldo
              • Sep 2005

I would buy the 802D for stereo, if you need a sub depends completely in you room acustics, If you have wooden floors it's more likely you don't!

Comment

• johan
                • Dec 2004

Option 2 seems like the best choice. And your room is probably too small for N801's.

Comment

• Jeff
                  • Dec 2004

Georgev, your equipment has many similarities to mine. It's my feeling the n802's are wonderful speakers. Use those for two channel listening. There are times I feel I went a little overboard by using my 802's in a HT setting. I'm sure an N804 or N803's would be more than fine for the HT r/l speakers. Keep your HTM1.
                  It's an awsome center channel. No one can dispute that.

This would free up lots of cash for your two channel set up. Were talking all silver I/C and speaker wire. Class'e amp and a separate DAC, like the Benchmark DAC1. Now your neck deep high end audio!!!

Jeff

Comment

• georgev
                    • Jul 2004

Thanks for the replies guys.
                    Jeff, my stereo set up is as follows:
                    Mark Levinson 31.3 transport
                    Mark Levinson 360S DAC
                    Mark Levinson 380S Pre Amp and speakers being driven by the Mark Levinson 336.
                    I don't think I will be changing any of those items in a while.
                    If you are using n802's for HT what are your stereo speakers?
                    The floors are going to be wooden,
                    If that size is too small for the n801's, what minimum size is recommended?

Comment

• Jeff
                      • Dec 2004

Sorry Georgev, I had only read this thred and not your profile. Yes, your ML gear will be more than adequate.

Since you already have Nautilus, I would go with Diamond. The 801's will not be that much different than your 802's with exception of the lower end. That would play well, if you don't play music on the louder side as you would have some greater dynamic range at lower volumes in the lower frequencies.

Regarding the size of your room, I would consider it more along the lines of flexability of speaker placement. Less space, go with a smaller speaker. You'll have to perform a number of trials to understand the new accoustics of the room. Perhaps an area rug between you and the speakers.

If it were my choice I would go with option 2.

Jeff
                      p.s. all my good equipment is in the HT room. My two channel room is more classical audio equipment and items which were formerly in my HT. My kids play in the two channel room. This forces me to locate items in less than desirable locations.

Comment

• caleb
                        • Aug 2004

Hi Mate,

I'd keep the 802s for y our HT and get the secondhand 800s for your stereo.

Are you ever in C/T if so - come and listen to mine.

Comment

• georgev
                          • Jul 2004

Originally posted by caleb
                          Hi Mate,

I'd keep the 802s for y our HT and get the secondhand 800s for your stereo.

Are you ever in C/T if so - come and listen to mine.
                          Hi Caleb,
                          It's second hand 801's not 800's. Would you still say go for the 801's?
                          BTW I will give you a call if I am in your neck of the woods.
                          George.

Comment

• Pio
                            • Nov 2005

I upgraded from N802's to 802 D's about one year ago, I love the 802D's!!! You might want to A/B the 802D's with the 800's. Personally I like the 802Ds better.
                            Stereo: Revel F208, Parasound JC2, JC1's, Oppo HA-1, VPI, Dynavector, Moon

HT: B&W 802D2, 805S, HTM4, Marantz, OPPO BDP95, Velodyne DD-12's

HP / secondary system: Woo Audio W2, Carver Sunfire, Kef LS50, Denon, and too many headphones to list

Comment

• georgev
                              • Jul 2004

Update,
                              My dealer is trying to make me an offer I can't refuse on the 803D's and the HTM2D, so I might be going for that option for now with a view to upgrading my 802's later.
                              I will let you know.
                              Two questions:
                              In my theatre, I am using a Proceed HPA 3 for the front three speakers. Will that be adequate for the three?
                              I was initially planning to house the three fronts in a cabinet that runs across the room from one end to the other(so one will not see the speakers), but I am concerned that the speakers will be enclosed, will this be a problem?
                              If not I must place them in front of the cabinet.
                              Cheers,
                              George.

Comment

• ShadowZA
                                Super Senior Member
                                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by georgev
                                Update,
                                My dealer is trying to make me an offer I can't refuse on the 803D's and the HTM2D, so I might be going for that option for now with a view to upgrading my 802's later.
                                I will let you know.
                                Two questions:
                                In my theatre, I am using a Proceed HPA 3 for the front three speakers. Will that be adequate for the three?
                                I was initially planning to house the three fronts in a cabinet that runs across the room from one end to the other(so one will not see the speakers), but I am concerned that the speakers will be enclosed, will this be a problem?
                                If not I must place them in front of the cabinet.
                                Cheers,
                                George.
                                Hi George

1. I don't know anything about the Proceed but to get the very best out of the speakers imho, one would want to look at power amps that double their power as impedance halves. Also ... large power availability is always a good thing.

2. My opinion regarding housing the speakers in cabinets is that this is not a good idea. Apart from resonance problems, this will also negatively affect the soundstage. These speakers need to be free standing (the front of the speaker being 18 to 24 inches (45 to 60cm) from the back wall ... and ever-so-slightly toed in towards the listener. Again, this is to get the best out of them.

Some ideas:

As you do want to use the speakers for music, I'd say that the diamond series B&W are the way to go. If you gave up the music & became dedicated to HT ... then ... depending on your budget, I'd take a look at the CT800 series with a view to having these built in to your front cabinet setup. Although, I've heard that these are terribly expensive. Way too much, I've been told. I don't know as I've not investigated this path.

Good luck with your decision.

Comment

• georgev
                                  • Jul 2004

The proceed is 250Wpc into 8ohms and 500 into 4. Made by Madrigal, considered a "poor mans" Mark Levinson.
                                  I will check out the CT800 series, because that is not my music room. It ios a dedicated purpose built theatre.

Comment

Working...
                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                  Search Result for "|||"