X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PeteG
    • Aug 2000

Speaker Set-Up Dilemma

It's been a long time since I've posted at this site, and I hope to be around a bit more as the upgrade bug has bitten me! I am about to upgrade my speakers out of both desire and necessity - my son is starting to crawl and my current set-up is an accident waiting to happen. I have a dilemma on set-up that I could use advice on before I make a decision on what to buy.

My HT is in my living room and is mainly used for TV and movie viewing. The entire HT (HDTV & components) are housed in a thick hardwood entertainment unit that is 8.5 feet long on a 13.5 foot wall (with sectional couch on the opposite wall facing that unit). My main speakers in the front are Paradigm Mini-Monitors next to the unit on each side, on speaker stands that are not sturdy at all. The center is above the TV in the main cabinet of the wall unit.

Next to the entertainment unit on each side, I have approximately 2.5 feet of space on the wall that I can mount speakers against and toe-in (the safest solution and possibly ideal when I scrap the wall unit for a new tv/projector). The wall unit is about 1.5 feet deep, so I'm concerned that the sides may block some of the sound from the speakers, as well as the fact that the speakers might be a bit further out (wider) than an ideal set-up.

Will I lose sound quality with the possible interference/wider set-up with these wall-mounted speakers? My other option is to go with floorstanding speakers, which I think might give me better sound, but is still not 100% safe with a baby crawling/walking and not necessarily an idea my wife loves.

If my description of the room is confusing, I apologize - I could try and graph it out or take a picture if that would help.

Any and all advice is welcome and appreciated. I'm still new at all of this, despite the fact that I've had my current set-up for almost 6 years. Once I figure out the sound dilemma, I can move forward with the auditioning of speakers.

Thanks,

Pete
  • aud19
    Twin Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2003

It will cause problems IMO. You could build a false wall in the corners to bring the wall out and level with (or infront of) the cabinet. You also try book shelves on a wall mount bracket that allows you to "stretch" the mount out from the wall. Otherwise floor standers with sturdy feet (either by manufacturer or DIY) should be fine
    Jason

Comment

• ThomasW
      Moderator Emeritus
      • Aug 2000

A picture or graphic would be handy....

One thought would be to extend false wall sections on either side of the entertainment unit forward so fronts of each are flush. Into these false wall sections build custom speakers designed for this application.

You shouldn't use a prebuilt speakers in-wall because the crossovers are specifically made for the speaker to be out from the wall. Going with a DIY speaker would save money and give something with no baffle-step compensation. That would give you the best performance possible for the installation. You'd also have enough room to build-in a couple subwoofers if you desire.....

The other option is to hinge mount Magnepan MMG-W's or better yet standard MMG's to either side of the entertainment unit. Then the recessed walls aren't a problem

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• aud19
        Twin Moderator Emeritus
        • Aug 2003

I see great minds think alike :B
        Jason

Comment

• PeteG
          • Aug 2000

Typed a response and then lost it. Interesting.

Thanks for the replies and the advice. Building false walls isn't really an option with the way the room is laid out - it would close off the walls and the living space and the wife would be less than thrilled.

I wasn't thinking of going with in-wall speakers, I was thinking of smaller bookshelf speakers on wall mounts (at least smaller than my Mini Monitors), which I would then angle in towards the center of the couch. Building my own speakers isn't really an option as I'm not that skilled. I would go with floor standing speakers if possible.

I've never actually heard Magenpans before - how are the MMG-Ws? There's a dealer not too far from me where I could demo them if it's worth while.

I took a few pictures but they are too big to upload to the guide. Any thoughts as to how I can show them?

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

• ThomasW
            Moderator Emeritus
            • Aug 2000

In-wall/on-wall, it makes no difference. The crossovers in standard speakers are not designed for that kind of placement. And if you use that kind of placement you'll get bloated (boomy) midbass performance as a result.

There's a link to Magnepan and it's speakers in my first post. The MMG and MMG-W are not sold in stores.

Use editing software to reduce the size of the pictures if you don't have a hosting service and need to load them as attachments.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• PeteG
              • Aug 2000

OK, resized the pictures. Let me know your thoughts, but I'm guessing from your comments that the best (perhaps only) solution is floor standing speakers.
              Attached Files

Comment

• PeteG
                • Aug 2000

Here are a few more (yes the room has been taken over by my son!!)
                Attached Files

Comment

• aud19
                  Twin Moderator Emeritus
                  • Aug 2003

Floor standers (or book shelves on good stands) will give you the best sound quality with the least amount of fuss. So yes I would pick those if you can. Understandably you have a concern for your son and both what he could do to the speakers and the speakers could do to him! So get speakers that come standard with VERY stable feet/stands or buy the speakers you like the most and buy/build VERY sturdy stands for them
                  Jason

Comment

• PeteG
                    • Aug 2000

Thanks for the advice. That's probably the route I'll go. Now that I'm bit by the upgrade bug, might be time to look at either getting a new receiver or possibly going with separates.

Appreciate the help.

Peter

Comment

• comeup
                      • Jul 2005

The B&W XT series would be a nice fit and they sound great.

good luck
                      Blake

Comment

Working...
                      Searching...Please wait.
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                      There are no results that meet this criteria.
                      Search Result for "|||"