X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snmhanson
    • Jun 2010

Binding posts or terminal cups?

Are there any obvious (or not so obvious) reasons that make it preferable to go with binding posts over terminal cups or vice versa? Aesthetically, I think terminal cups are a kind of cool solution, but they do require another rather large hole in the speakers which just gives me one more chance to screw things up. Also, if they ever get damaged I am stuck finding an exact replacement, otherwise I would have to alter the hole. Individual binding posts seem very simple to install and if I have to replace one it should be easy. They also take up less space, although I think I am probably ok space-wise with either. Which should I go with? (I already have the terminal cups, but I have plenty of time to order new binding posts if they are a better solution) Opinions or suggestions welcome.

Thanks,

Matt
  • Hdale85
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Jan 2006

For me, I don't like the fact I have to cut a big hole and it's only covered by a piece of thin plastic.

Comment

• evilskillit
      • Oct 2008

I like binding posts. For me the big advantage is you can space them further apart than half an inch. I can't tell you how many frustrating minutes of my life have been wasted by trying to cram 2 pieces of speaker wire into some binding posts inside of a tiny terminal cup in low light, and when I finally get them in I go to start cranking on the things and I can barely even get a good grip and your finger gets smashed when you turn and it tries to slide between the two posts which are too close together. /end rant...

Comment

• snmhanson
        • Jun 2010

So, two good reasons not to use terminal cups. Looks like it's binding posts for me. Thanks!

Comment

• Solid7
          • Jul 2010

Originally posted by snmhanson
          So, two good reasons not to use terminal cups. Looks like it's binding posts for me. Thanks!
          Terminal cups = poopy

Great if you want that whole "production speaker" look. But I am a big fan of overbuilding stuff, so I have to agree with Dougie085. I don't like building a bomb shelter, and then putting a rice paper door on it. :B

Comment

• BeerParty
            • Oct 2008

Well, just to throw in a alternate opinion - the cups have one advantage over binding posts: they don't stick out of the cabinet. Not a big deal for speakers that are not getting moved around, but if you do have to transport your speakers having the binding posts recessed sure is helpful. When I took my speakers to a DIY event, because I used cups I could slide them into my vehicle on their backs and didn't have to worry about the drivers getting damaged.

As for cutting another hole in the cabinet, you could think of it as practice for the driver holes - after all, the terminal cups don't need to be as precise as the driver holes do. Need a replacement - Parts Express is your friend. :P

Oh, and evilskillit, might I suggest an investment in some banana plugs? :W
            Chris

My Statement Monitors Build
            My AviaTrix Build

Comment

• ---k---
              Ultra Senior Member
              • Nov 2005

Pick whichever looks better to you. I've used terminal cups where a few $$ more for a binding posts was an issue.

An in-between solution is to cut a 3" diameter hole, round it over, then on the inside of the box glue a piece of 3/4" ply to this. Then drill your binding posts in side this. It will give you nice, recessed binding posts.
              - Ryan

CJD Ochocinco! ND140/BC25SC06 MTM & TM
              CJD Khanspires - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS225 WMTMW
              CJD Khancenter - A Dayton RS28/RS150/RS180 WTMW Center

Comment

• Hdale85
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Jan 2006

Originally posted by ---k---
                An in-between solution is to cut a 3" diameter hole, round it over, then on the inside of the box glue a piece of 3/4" ply to this. Then drill your binding posts in side this. It will give you nice, recessed binding posts.
                Agreed I was just going to mention this when he said something about the recessed.

Comment

• TacoD
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Feb 2004

Binding post definitely, if you use bare wire (like me) you can easier tighten the nuts. Also no weak spot in your 1" think panels.

Also much easier to mount, simply drill a set of holes.

Comment

• Undefinition
                    • Dec 2006

Originally posted by BeerParty
                    Well, just to throw in a alternate opinion - the cups have one advantage over binding posts: they don't stick out of the cabinet. Not a big deal for speakers that are not getting moved around, but if you do have to transport your speakers having the binding posts recessed sure is helpful. When I took my speakers to a DIY event, because I used cups I could slide them into my vehicle on their backs and didn't have to worry about the drivers getting damaged.

As for cutting another hole in the cabinet, you could think of it as practice for the driver holes - after all, the terminal cups don't need to be as precise as the driver holes do. Need a replacement - Parts Express is your friend. :P

+1 to everything you just said
                    Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
                    Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• evilskillit
                      • Oct 2008

Originally posted by BeerParty

Yeah, I need to get some, next time I get something from PE I guess I will, tho honestly they're more than I'd really care to spend. Surprisingly expensive for little springy pieces of metal. I suppose its worth it for the convenience.

Comment

• numberoneoppa
                        • Sep 2009

For ease of use, the cups are great - and cheap too. For aesthetics, you really can't beat nice binding posts against a plate.
                        -Josh

That feeling when things are finally going right. Yeah, that one.

Comment

• Undefinition
                          • Dec 2006

Originally posted by evilskillit
                          Yeah, I need to get some, next time I get something from PE I guess I will, tho honestly they're more than I'd really care to spend. Surprisingly expensive for little springy pieces of metal. I suppose its worth it for the convenience.
                          Try ebay. Much better prices; you just gotta wait for the slow boat from China.
                          Isn't it about time we started answering rhetorical questions?
                          Paul Carmody's DIY Speaker Site

Comment

• FroDaddy
                            • Mar 2006

Binding posts here. I considered the plates to go with them, but in the end I just used straight binding posts. However I always had a challenge lining them up perfectly. After drilling the hole, I used a deadpan hammer to knock them into place. Just make sure to remove the head of them so you won't damage the threads :T

Comment

• Hdale85
                              Moderator Emeritus
                              • Jan 2006

The plates make them much nicer looking

Comment

• Solid7
                                • Jul 2010

Originally posted by FroDaddy
                                Binding posts here. I considered the plates to go with them, but in the end I just used straight binding posts. However I always had a challenge lining them up perfectly. After drilling the hole, I used a deadpan hammer to knock them into place. Just make sure to remove the head of them so you won't damage the threads :T
                                Use a bushing block to make perpendicular holes, if you don't have a drill press. If you don't want to buy a bushing block, have a friend with a drill press make a small hole in a wood block with a drill press, and use it as a guide (with the same size drill) for making holes of this type.

If you meant alignment, as in the holes being crooked relative to one another, a center punch and pencil lines work wonders on that problem. :B

Comment

• ---k---
                                  Ultra Senior Member
                                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by evilskillit
                                  I got three black plates and three sets of gold binding posts (091-1150), sitting here gathering dust. I'm not sure they are worth buying if you have to pay shipping. But PM me if you're interested.
                                  - Ryan

Comment

• evilskillit
                                    • Oct 2008

Thanks K, but I stocked up on these guys at some point.

Now I guess I just need some bananas.

Btw, maybe I'm easily amused but it makes me laugh on the PE site when you start typing "banana" in the search bar and after the first few letters the first suggestion is "banana banana" whats that all about?

Comment

• ---k---
                                      Ultra Senior Member
                                      • Nov 2005

No problem. You expressed interest in the plates, so I thought I would throw it out there. Just know that those binding posts won't work with the plates without adding a rubber washer or something to isolate the plate from the binding post. Otherwise, the plate will short the binding posts.
                                      - Ryan

Comment

• evilskillit
                                        • Oct 2008

No problem. You expressed interest in the plates, so I thought I would throw it out there. Just know that those binding posts won't work with the plates without adding a rubber washer or something to isolate the plate from the binding post. Otherwise, the plate will short the binding posts.
                                        Hrm, either I misspoke or you misunderstood me, I always just go straight through the lumber, haven't bothered with plates yet. Maybe some day I should just to see what I'm missing.

Comment

• ---k---
                                          Ultra Senior Member
                                          • Nov 2005

Ahh... my bad. You were saying you should buy some banana plugs and for some reason I thought you were saying buying plates.
                                          - Ryan

Comment

• evilskillit
                                            • Oct 2008

Ahh... my bad. You were saying you should buy some banana plugs and for some reason I thought you were saying buying plates.
                                            Its all good. Thanks for the offer anyways. :T

Comment

• parodielin
                                              • Nov 2009

Solder Tabs on the Binding Posts

I lost one solder tab on the binding posts. Could I buy it somewhere?

Comment

• evilskillit
                                                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by parodielin
                                                I lost one solder tab on the binding posts. Could I buy it somewhere?
                                                Hrm, maybe an electornics supply place. You might even be able to find something close enough from Radio Shack. Or you might just try wrapping the wire around the binding post and soldering it. It'll probably be fine.

Comment

• Bent
                                                  Super Senior Member
                                                  • Sep 2003

Why not drill a 4 inch hole, and glue a 5 inch backing plate on the inside of the enclosure which you can attach the binding posts to?
                                                  There - terminal cup with high quality binding posts.

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"