X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Vancouver
    Also depth of the structure is not related to quality. I called B&W about the FPM series and they a said the FPM series is consider slightly better then the 600 series. They are much less in depth then the 600 or 300 series and are listed "below" the 300 and 600 series on the B&W site.
    The FPM are placing form over function in order to meet market demand for owners of flat panel displays. From a quality standpoint they are up there, but in terms of sound the cabinet design incurs some compromises. I think I would take a listen to the FPM and the 600 series side-by-side before making any decisions based solely on the company's recommendation.
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• kurtholz
      • Feb 2005

Chinet's

so basically what you are saying is, Krell or nothing?

:-)

you old hound dog, i would bet anything there's no Rotel in your system, cmon, tell the truth

and it only takes me 5 try's to tell the difference, it must be an American thing, we just have better ears

:-) again

good to see you, wondered where you been

kurt

Comment

• Nolan B
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
        The FPM are placing form over function in order to meet market demand for owners of flat panel displays. From a quality standpoint they are up there, but in terms of sound the cabinet design incurs some compromises. I think I would take a listen to the FPM and the 600 series side-by-side before making any decisions based solely on the company's recommendation.

I did this since I went from the 600 series to the FPMs. While the FPMs dont reach as low as the 600 series the overall sound quality was equal to or slightly better. I called B&W and they confirmed it. I wouldnt classif it as an "upgrade", but I bought them for looks and function

Comment

• chinets
          • Jun 2005

Hi Fauzi,
          Well, I got all the details for you on Karim the dealer of B&W in Dubai. Nice guy, and I have bought lots of stuff from him. Very reliable and has great second hand stuff that are very reasonably priced ,and In Mint condition. Hope this information will help you, and Good Luck. Keep me in the loop, Post me please as to your orders ,and if you need a personal word to Karim please PM me on this forum and I will call Karim for you on your behalf ,so that you could get the best price possible. I would do that for you with pleasure.
          Cheers !!!!!

Karim A. Zaki
          Managing Director

Archimedia- GR Media Solutions

. PO Box 113836 Dubai

United Arab Emirates

Mobile: +971 50 614 3955

+971 4 337 0181 / 2

+971 4 337 0183

kzaki@grmediasolutions.com

Hi Kurt,
          I just wanted to get you out of your shell or from under that rock, and you always fall for it. How are you buddy and how are your Krells??? You Krell dog!!! Haven't heard from you in ages. Hope you and the family are all well?
          Yup Krell and Rotel are my babies ,so I won't punish one or the other!! right?? Yup Krell or nothing pal!!!! Where have you been?? Missed you on the forum!! Did you go on vacation?
          Yup ,I guess American ears are superior, that is why I recommend you stick with Klipsch and horns and give up those beauty English hand made B&W 802d that you have, and send them to me ,as I need them for surrounds in my system, Yikes!!!!!!!!!!!!! Touche my friend!!!!
          Have fun Kurt and hope to hear from you soon.
          Cheers and have a wonderful day,
          Chinets

Comment

• fauzigarib
            • Aug 2006

Chinets,

Wow! I am so touched. Not only is that a very generous offer, it's put out to someone you don't know at all. That is really, very very nice of you.

Do you live in Dubai? If so, where? I visit there quite often, and it'd be nice to know some B&W owners there... Also my cousin deals in audio also... If you live there, I'm sure you've seen Dubai Audio Centre on Sheikh Zayed road... Well that's them... Got some good deals from them in the past.

I'll be sure and send Karim an email message asking him what he has available. I'm thinking that I might just buy used to get started with. Let's just see where that gets me.

Thanks again... Very nice ofyou.

Regards,

Fauzi

Comment

• chinets
              • Jun 2005

Hi Fauzi,
              You are more than welcome!!! NO, I do not live in Dubai, however, I work In Saudi most of the time and the U.K. and Argentina ,the rest of the time ,so I travel for business very often to Dubai. Yes, I know the Dubai Audio Center on Sheikh Zayed road very well. Congrats on your family...Great stuff there!
              Archimedia is an excellent store with great prices if you haggle well. I usually buy New, but on a few occassions I have bought second hand stuff from Karim and they were in Excellent condition. I don't think I would ever buy any second hand gear or speakers form anyone except Karim. He manages to get perfect second hand stuff that you'll be amazed, and at very reasonable prices.
              The offer is still on for me to call him whenever you have anything you want from that store. Just let me know ,and tell me what you ordered and I will give Karim the dealer a call. NO PROBLEM!!!!
              My pleasure, and have a wonderful day!!
              Cheers!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

• chinets
                • Jun 2005

Fauzi,
                Hope you had a chance to read my reply to you!!!!!!!!!!
                Cheers,
                Chinets

Comment

• fauzigarib
                  • Aug 2006

Thanks and sorry...

Originally posted by chinets
                  Fauzi,
                  Hope you had a chance to read my reply to you!!!!!!!!!!
                  Cheers,
                  Chinets

... for not getting back to you earlier... I did get your reply and highly appreciated it. I've just been travelling, so I didn't get a chance to get in touch with Karim until yesterday.

He promptly replied, and have a dialog going on with him. The price for the 802D that he has offered me is a little higher than the one that I have already received in Pakistan, but he says he's going to try to get a better deal.

He's also locating some used speakers for me... That might end up being a more feasible option for me at this stage.

Anyways, thanks once again for your help. I'll let you know when I need you to jump in with the sledgehammer!

BTW, what do you do in Saudi Arabia? I have lived in Jeddah for about 5-6 years in the early 80's.

Later,

Fauzi

Comment

• azvantage
                    • Sep 2006

Linn Akurate vs. B&W 802D

I have a full Akurate system run in passive mode with an all Linn system. Source is Unidisc SC, Control is Kinos, and amps for the Akurate 242's are Klimax Solos. My last speakers were B&W nautilus 803's. In comparison, the Akurates invoke less fatigue. I find it much easier to listen for long periods of time. I wanted to stay with an all Linn setup for system synergy. It all works very well and there are occassions that everything comes together and it is hard to imagine a better setup.

I did listen to the 802D's for a short period of time and they seem to be fantastic speakers. The main reason I went away from them was the all Linn idea and my experience with the 803's---a little too bright for my taste but a very good speaker. I'm sure the diamond tweeter has improved things drastically but don't have long term experience.

The biggest drawback to the Akurate system is lack of deep bass. I found it to be inadequate until I added a REL Stadium III sub. With the sub integrated, the setup is fantastic. The Akurate sub is in my opinion inadequate.

The best sounding system I have ever heard was an all AKTIV system utilizing a moderately priced speaker (can't remember which one, but much less expensive than Akurate) using a CD12 as a source. This leads me to believe that an AKTIV setup using the Akurate speakers would be hard to beat---but would also cost significantly more than the 802D's. Thus another reason I went with the Akurates---defined upgrade path for all of us upgraders

Comment

• chinets
                      • Jun 2005

Hi Fauzi,
                      Welcome back!!!! I am a Lawyer In Saudi.
                      Where have you lived In Saudi, Which part??
                      I'll jump in with the big Hammer once you have nailed what your heart desires with Archimedia and Karim.
                      I am sure he will get you a second hand treasure and at a good price. I'll be your bargain hunter once you have selected the merchandise. So Good Luck!!!
                      Until then have a wonderful day.
                      What do you do In Pakistan??
                      Where are you originally from? Curious George here??
                      Regards and Cheers,
                      Chinets

Comment

• azvantage
                        • Sep 2006

Originally posted by WI Rotel
                        I know its degenerated to something else. We all pretty much agree, as most audiophile editors would concur, that the BW is a significantly better speaker, (this is a BW fan club site after all) not that we may all be more than a little biased. Linn is not sony but its certainly no BW.

I just noticed this quote. Not an informed statement. Speaker preference is all subjective, but I would suggest that the higher end Linn speakers can more than hold their own against any B&W speaker. (i.e. Komri, Artikulate, Akurate lines) Take a look at the professional reviews of these speakers.

Comment

• Andrew M Ward
                          • Apr 2005

Originally posted by WI Rotel
                          Linn makes very good products but are horribly overpriced. If you want to save money for speakers go with Rotel, if money is not a problem go for classe, brystone or krell. They are all better than Linn (even the Rotel).
                          I always enjoy your completely random comments, that seem to (with-out-fail) circle back to Rotel... :Z

Brystone, I can only assume is Bryston? (Keep up the good work) the Rotel guys probably cringe when they see your spastic and somewhat defiant support...

For the most part I think we all enjoy Rotel gear (no?)
                          Last edited by Andrew M Ward; 27 September 2006, 18:03 Wednesday.

Comment

• chinets
                            • Jun 2005

Yes, we do enjoy Rotel gear Mr. Andrew M Ward!!!

We love other gear too, but the Ultimate sound is in the EAR of the beholder!!! Nobody can take that from you!!

Trust your ears and How much cash you have in your pocket, and that will determine your Hi-Fi gear, whether you like it or not: It is a simple equation!!!
                            My 2 cents here!!
                            Cheers

Comment

Working...
                            Searching...Please wait.
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                            An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                            There are no results that meet this criteria.
                            Search Result for "|||"