X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gump
    • Sep 2005

Linn Electronics with 803D's

In my seemingly endless search for electronics to run my 803D's, I was able to demo some Linn Equipment over the last few days. My stereo salesman dropped off a brand new Linn Unidisk SC and Chakra 3200 amp for my front speakers (803D's and HTM2D), as well as a 2100 for the surrounds, on Sunday and I've been pegging the fun meter with them until he returned today to pick them up.

Very nice to look at (these were the black models) as well as easy to use due to their size. WAF gave them a thumbs up in the aesthetics department.

The strengths of the Linn SC undoubtedly are found with its multi-channel capabilities and, more specifically, with its ability to play the SACD format.

All the movies/DVD's I played on it came alive and it was just startling to realize how much I was missing with my Marantz DV-8300 player.

But the real difference was revealed when I played several SACD's on the Linn. I will go so far as to say that I now realize I had never really heard SACD before. I have a SACD Telarc sampler that I had listened to with the Marantz that I found to have only a couple of decent sounding songs on. When I played it on the Linn the sound was absolutely stunning! Every song had the wow factor cranked and I couldn't believe how vibrant and enrapturing this same SACD had become just by playing it on the Linn. It's quite obvious that Linn has dedicated themselves to being one of the best in utilizing this format.

2-Channel music was also good, but I wasn't as impressed with it as I was with the Classe I demo'd a couple of weeks ago. The Linn sounds a little harsher to me and I prefer the more velvety tone of the Classe. And although the Linn has ample bass, it seemed to me that the Classe controlled the 803D's bass better. This is probably due to the Classe having more power. (the Linn's 200 wpc is based on 4ohms). The Classe seemed to have a deeper sound stage as well. The Linn was more detailed without any "smear" that some might accuse the Classe of exhibiting.

Overall the Linn was quite impressive and has alot going for it. If you are in love with the SACD multi-channel format you MUST check out the Unidisk SC, it is amazing in that realm.

Now.....decisions, decisions.....
  • RebelMan
    Ultra Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

Nice feedback Gump. As you know I am partial to Classe' so you know where my loyalties lie. :B You can't blame me really as Classe's CDP's are also injected with some of that Linn heritage. It's just to bad they don't offer SACD compatibility, although they considered including it on the CDP-300.

You have some tough choices to make, can't say I envy you there. So maybe you could mix it up bit and get the best from both worlds?
    "Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today."

Comment

• Gump
      • Sep 2005

Originally posted by RebelMan
      Nice feedback Gump. As you know I am partial to Classe' so you know where my loyalties lie. :B You can't blame me really as Classe's CDP's are also injected with some of that Linn heritage. It's just to bad they don't offer SACD compatibility, although they considered including it on the CDP-300.

You have some tough choices to make, can't say I envy you there. So maybe you could mix it up bit and get the best from both worlds?
      Yes, that's a strong possibility right now. Combining the Linn Unidisk with the Classe CA-5200 is an intriguing idea. That way I also shave a few thousand dollars off the total price by getting a processor plus a superior disc player at the same time. In addition I maintain the relationship with my stereo salesman who is very good and knowledgable. For instance he quickly solved my previous humming/buzzing noise from the center speaker by re-soldering the leads on one of my AQ inter-connects. He then checked the others and discovered 4 out of the 6 were not grounded properly. He fixed them all at no charge. Plus he gives me 15% off on anything I buy from him.

There's no perfect solution, but that might be as close as I can get.

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"