X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • akhter
    • Jun 2005

very close to classe purchase...dilemma

I am in the process of upgrading my 2.0 setup. Current setup is Linn Majik DSM driving a pair of B&W Nautilus 804 speakers. The speakers are 8 years old and I love them but now I have a 2nd home and will move the system there.

I recently got the Majik DSM and have since fallen in love with Linn gear. I purchased a Linn Akurate DSM in anticipation of the upgrade of my system.

Since I love B&W sound I more or less decided on the 804 Diamond speakers and to match it Classe CA 2300 amp with the Akurate DSM as the pre and streamer. I have a lot of high rez FLACs stored in a Synology NAS.

Here is where it gets a bit complicated. My dealer won't discount the speaker or the amp but he will let me have the cp800 as part of a complete package in a deal where getting the cp 800 would only cost me 2200USD more than getting just the speakers and amp.

So I have a chance to get the CP800 at a great price. Since I haven't actually taken delivery of the Akurate DSM I have the chance to change the order to an Akurate DS at a savings of about 1200 usd, I don't think I will change the order since the cp800 doesnt have HDMI and I do have a few HDMI sources. In the latest firmware upgrade, Linn added the ability to turn off the Pre-Amp in the Akurate DSM and the XLRs be line level. I tend to keep my gear a very long time so this is really a once in a decade upgrade for me and I am considering the below.

HDMI souces/NAS->Akurate DSM -XLR->CP800-XLR->CA2300->804 Diamond.

The setup will only cost 2g more but is a bit more complicated that I initially planned. Is this a good idea or a bit over the top? The Linn dealer seems to think using an external pre like the cp800 will be an upgrade from the Akurate DSM pre (the Linn and Classe dealers are different).

Thoughts on the setup? I live in a small apt in a big city so don't intend to go mutlichannel.
  • stuofsci02
    Super Senior Member
    • Nov 2009

What sources do you have that are HDMI that have no other digital output?
    Main System:
    B&W 801D
    Emotiva USP-1 Pre-Amp
    Chord SPM-650 Stereo Amp
    Oppo BDP-105
    Squeezebox Touch

Second System:
    B&W CM7
    Emotiva UMC-1
    Emotiva UPA-2
    Oppo BDP-83SE
    Grant Fidelity DAC-09

Comment

• aarsoe
      • May 2004

Worst case get the CP-800 and sell it to me..

Comment

• akhter
        • Jun 2005

Originally posted by aarsoe
        Worst case get the CP-800 and sell it to me..
        hah...

actually i have decided on getting the 802D2 instead and there is no classe package with for that speaker

I will instead be getting a Mcintosh 302 amp and use the Linn Akurate DSM that I already purchased

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"