X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gump
    • Sep 2005

Should they stay or should they go?

Looking for opinions here:

I'm getting ready to put my home up for sale and I've got 3 B&W CWM-800 in-ceiling speakers for my surrounds and center rear in a 6.1 set-up. Here's the questions:

A) Do I leave the speakers in the ceiling and use them as a selling point for the home as a "ready" HT 6.1 system?

B) Do I take the speakers out to use in my new home and get a drywaller in to seal up the holes in the ceiling and simply state that the home is already "wired" for surround HT.

C) Do I take the B&W's out and use them in my new home and find some cheapo speakers to stick up in the vacant holes in the ceiling so it at least appears "ready to go" for HT as a selling feature to the home?

I'm not 100% sure that they'll end up as my new surrounds in the new house anyway (I may go in a different direction) but I'm sure I can use them elswhere in the house in multi-zone option. Besides they're pretty nice speakers (cost 400$) and I'm not sure that they would be truly appreciated by whomever buys my house.

Gentlemen (and Ladies) you have the floor....Thank you.
  • B&W 700 Guy
    • Jun 2006

I say... Run Forest, Run....

I would go with C) take the B&W's out and use them in my new home and find some cheapo speakers to stick up in the vacant holes in the ceiling so it at least appears "ready to go" for HT as a selling feature to the home?

And thats all I have too say about that.....

Comment

• akhter
      • Jun 2005

Originally posted by Gump
      Looking for opinions here:

I'm getting ready to put my home up for sale and I've got 3 B&W CWM-800 in-ceiling speakers for my surrounds and center rear in a 6.1 set-up. Here's the questions:

A) Do I leave the speakers in the ceiling and use them as a selling point for the home as a "ready" HT 6.1 system?

B) Do I take the speakers out to use in my new home and get a drywaller in to seal up the holes in the ceiling and simply state that the home is already "wired" for surround HT.

C) Do I take the B&W's out and use them in my new home and find some cheapo speakers to stick up in the vacant holes in the ceiling so it at least appears "ready to go" for HT as a selling feature to the home?

I'm not 100% sure that they'll end up as my new surrounds in the new house anyway (I may go in a different direction) but I'm sure I can use them elswhere in the house in multi-zone option. Besides they're pretty nice speakers (cost 400$) and I'm not sure that they would be truly appreciated by whomever buys my house.

Gentlemen (and Ladies) you have the floor....Thank you.
      B sounds too expensive to be worth it. C might be worth it IF you consider the cost of new 'cheap' to be to be less than what the B&W speakers now (depreciation etc.)

I would go for A

Comment

• audioqueso
        Super Senior Member
        • Nov 2004

I say C. Two reasons. You installed a really nice aftermarket CD player in a car that cost you $600, you sell the car, the buyer only sees 'an aftermarket CD player'. Most potential buyers are not going to remotely consider B&W in-wall speakers a plus in the house. Another reason is that they're B&Ws. It would be rare to find someone who will appreciate them as much as you have, being a B&W owner yourself. I would suggest C for that reason, but you might also have to go with B because you might limit your potential buyers by having speakers in the ceiling. Some viewers may not like or want that. Just something to think about.
        B&W 804S/Velodyne SPL-1000R/Anthem MRX720

Comment

• misterdoggy
          Super Senior Member
          • May 2005

People will want to do their own custom ideas. Its just the way it is.

I sell posters always unframed. Reason: people prefer their choice of frame.

So when I buy a poster in the frame, I toss the frame. Makes it easier

Get my point ?

Comment

• Russ L
            • Jul 2006

A dedicated media room is becoming a feature of higher end homes these days. If your room fits that description then I would go with A. Even if the people don't appreciate the sound of B&W its the status of a media room that could increase the resale value of your home...to far more than the cost of the speakers. I don't think el cheapo speakers would impress anyone into believing they were buying a media room in their new home! -Russ
            Russ

Comment

• Gump
              • Sep 2005

Well, thanks for the feedback.

The decision has been made and the answer to the question is "C". I had a drywall guy in the house doing some other minor repair work and asked him about the ceiling holes if I took out the speakers. He agreed to repair the 3 holes and also re-paint the ceiling all for 65$. That's a little over 20 bucks a hole plus the painting. I couldn't pass it up. He did a great job and the ceiling looks like new.

I'll advertise the home as "pre-wired for HT surround" and use the B&W's in my new house.

As the saying goes..."No worries!" (yea, right)

Thanks again for the friendly advice.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"