X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • seattle_ice
    • Jun 2006

Concrete Vault Home Theater - Lots of questions

I recently finished building our new house, and am now getting ready to finish construction on the theater below the garage. The three car garage floor is a 3" concrete slab on top of wood framing, and under that is a 8'7" high space with a poured concrete slab, that houses the house mechanicals in one spot, and the rest will be the theater. 3 walls, the floor and the ceiling are all concrete, and the walls are 12" thick, so there is only one wood framed wall currently.

I am attaching two pictures below that show the room and a floorplan to help illustrate what I am talking about.

The first questions I have are these:

1. Is it a good idea to mount the front center channel just below the screen?

2. I am planning an IB sub array either in the front left corner, or below the center channel and screen in the center. Probably (4) 15" or 18" subs, using the space behind the screen wall (2' x 8'7" x 14'). Which location would be better? Would this amount of subs be sufficient for the space? What drivers would be recommended for this setup and how much power to drive them?

3. I am contemplating mounting the surrounds at the wall-to-ceiling corners facing down at an angle. Is this ok? What would be better? (Note - the seating will be flush against the left hand wall.)

4. What is the approximate distance a ceiling mounted projector needs to be away from the screen for a 9' screen? I am going to do the screen as a 2.35:1 with hinged black panels to hide the edges for 16:9. How far from the screen should the seating be? (There will be two rows of couches/seats and the back row is an eating bar with stools) How high off the floor should the screen be?

5. Where can I buy a popcorn and soda dispenser cheap?

If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!
    How to build a theater in 1,110,993 easy steps
  • ThomasW
    Moderator Emeritus
    • Aug 2000

Your questions will be easier to answer if you post them in our more specific forums.

Obviously I can handle any question you have regarding IB subs. I'd prefer you start an IB specific thread in the Missions Impossible forum since that's where I tend to hang out.

IB subwoofer FAQ page

"Complicated equipment and light reflectors and various other items of hardware are enough, to my mind, to prevent the birdie from coming out." ...... Henri Cartier-Bresson

Comment

• seattle_ice
      • Jun 2006

Thomas: I had actually planned on it, and will be doing so soon.
      If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy!
      How to build a theater in 1,110,993 easy steps

Comment

Working...
      Searching...Please wait.
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
      An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
      There are no results that meet this criteria.
      Search Result for "|||"