X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yummy
    • Jun 2006

602 S3 or 703?

Hi,

I am considering upgrading my speakers 602 s3 F/R and LCR 600 to 703 and HTM7. Is it worth upgrading and why?

A BW dealer said I would appreciate the upgrade if I use it more for music. Is it true?

I use it 99% HT.

Thanks
    Jim
  • cal264
    • May 2006

Jim I switched to 703's from the 602's about two months ago. I listen to 99% music so it was a big difference in audio quality fro me as I up the amp size as well.. For Movies it doesnt make that much difference (to me) unless of course there is alot of music.... IF you have the funds go for it and Im not sure about the HTM7 but they are not that much so you might as well match (some say the HTM7 is not a good match but I think its bull). I have the LCR600 and its awesome for fronts..... Good luck...

BTW, Im looking at the next step up cause Im nuts like that. The speakers are great but if the difference in the next step is as big as the diff between the 703's and the 602's I'm there...

JV

Comment

• B&W 700 Guy
      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by yummy
      Hi,

I am considering upgrading my speakers 602 s3 F/R and LCR 600 to 703 and HTM7. Is it worth upgrading and why?

A BW dealer said I would appreciate the upgrade if I use it more for music. Is it true?

I use it 99% HT.

Thanks
      Jim
      If you are not listening to music, buy the 704's. That will still be a big upgrade from the 600 series. With the money you save you can buy a sub.

PS: I have the HTM7 w/703 and it is a very good match and it should be perfect with the 704's! :T

Comment

• WI Rotel
        • Jul 2006

The 703 is quite a significant upgrade from the 602. The 7 is a much more revealing speaker with less coloration, if you're a music aficionado you will notice the difference the first time you fire them up. For movies its not such a big deal.

Comment

• jim777
          • Mar 2005

I agree with WI. The 703 difference is very obvious, but the 600 series are really great for HT. The 703 also require great electronics or we will hear of someone else that will call them harsh.

Comment

• csuzor
            • Nov 2004

big upgrade for music, but the htm7 is dissapointing with 703... if you are 99% HT, get the 704 and the htm7 ans use the extra money for something else. for mch music, the htm7 is bad with the 703, I sold mine and put a 3rd 703 instead. I want the htm3s for the center in the AV room, but it's not a priority for me now.

Comment

• Briz vegas
              Super Senior Member
              • Mar 2005

I have been sticking up for the HTM7 as a center channel in the past. I just watched the last Lord of the Rings flick where the vocals pan from the mains (804s in my system) to the centre (HTM7 from older setup) - yup- it almost made me want to swap back in my 705s to the front and put the 804s at the back. Of course this is not going to happen. I should also say that the mismatch only jumped out at me a couple of times during the movie. With my old 705 HTM7 705 setup the front soundstage was virtually seamless.

I would recommend the 703 703 703 or 704 HTM7 704 or maybe even the 703 HTM3 703 if you want the ideal setup. I find for most movies a non-matching center speaker is fine, but for the more "demanding" soundtracks, particularly with panning voices, the mismatched center does draw attention to itself, even when you are not listening for it, so it does detract from the experience. Fortunately I am not a huge fan of LOTRs so it may be a while before this little annoyance rears its head again.
              Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
              Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• B&W 700 Guy
                • Jun 2006

I listen to more two channel, but...

Why is everybody cracking on the HTM7? Some of the 804 users seem to like the center w/804'S. I myself like the speaker. Maybe it is a crossover issue in your HT receiver, I know it’s not a perfect match. But, I listen to allot of DVD-A and the speaker performs pretty well.

If you are going to use the 703 as a center, you will need a large room using a projector. The center of the screen will be very high, or, set the 703 on its side. Because you base your room on HT, I don't know if you can accomplish this or even would want to attempt it. Even with a Plasma/LCD Flat Panel Mounted on a wall, the monitor will be way to high for proper HT viewing.

You could purchase a used HTM1 or new/used HTM3S for between $1,300.00 and $2,500.00usd. This would be a better Driver (FST) match then the HTM7 for a 703 setup

But, because you are only listening to HT, I would buy the 704's, with the HTM7. This is still a good sized upgrade from the 600 series. You will save some money too buy a sub or other item.

Comment

• Briz vegas
                  Super Senior Member
                  • Mar 2005

700 guy. Don't get me wrong, the HTM7 is a good speaker but it does have a different character to the 804s. LOTR was the first movie I have heard in my new setup where this difference in character was an issue, but it was quite noticable, possibly because I was used to a seamless front three speakers. Taking the panning out the the equation and I would happily watch movies/music all day. Just as well really, replacing my HTM7 is a low priority, both from a system and a financial point of view. After all, whats the cat gonna sit on, he would slip off an HTM3 h: 8O 8O
                  Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
                  Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• Dexterace
                    • Jun 2006

I went through the same upgrade. I had 602s3 in L/R and LCR600 in the center. I listen to 99% HT. I upgraded to 703's L/R and HTM7 in the center. I assumed the HTM7 was a good match to the 703 since the store I bought it from did not have an HTM7 in stock. After watching LotR and other movies I was a bit disappointed in the HTM7. It sounded a little boxy and felt like it had less presence. I did not get this feeling with the LCR600. Then I checked these forums and saw many people had the same opinion. The HTM7 is not a bad speaker, it's just that it didn't seem to match to the 703's well. I hear it works better with 704. I bit the bullet and replaced the center with the HTM3S and it made a sizeable difference for me. Actually, some people have decided to use the LCR600 with the 703's and felt it was a good combination for HT.

However, I must say I've had friends come over and didn't find anything wrong with the HTM7. But they were more interested in the bass of the subwoofer and the effects of the surround channels. So take this for what it's worth I guess :-)

Comment

• B&W 700 Guy
                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by Briz vegas
                      700 guy. Don't get me wrong, the HTM7 is a good speaker but it does have a different character to the 804s. LOTR was the first movie I have heard in my new setup where this difference in character was an issue, but it was quite noticable, possibly because I was used to a seamless front three speakers. Taking the panning out the the equation and I would happily watch movies/music all day. Just as well really, replacing my HTM7 is a low priority, both from a system and a financial point of view. After all, whats the cat gonna sit on, he would slip off an HTM3 h: 8O 8O
                      Briz,
                      I agree with you on the 804, but, on the 703 it's a better match then people give it credit.

Oh, don’t purchase a speaker that the cat can't sit on (LOL).
                      By the way, what is your cat’s name? We should make your cat the Club B&W Mascot. :rofl:

Comment

• csuzor
                        • Nov 2004

Originally posted by Dexterace
                        I bit the bullet and replaced the center with the HTM3S and it made a sizeable difference for me.
                        Dexterace, that is the 1st time I see someone with the HTM3S and the 703. How good is the match? Are you happy with that, or would you do it differently now?

Comment

• Dexterace
                          • Jun 2006

csuzor:

I am happy with the HTM3S. I do notice a pleasurable difference; however, I haven't bought separate power amps yet to really drive these so they probably don't "sing" yet. Since I'm pretty much 99% HT, this center channel seems to make a difference, and perhaps with dedicated power amps the difference might be greater.

In all honesty, if I had to do it differently I might consider keeping the LCR600 and put the money toward amplifiers for the rest. I don't plan on upgrading my speakers any further as I don't think going to something like 802's would greatly enhance my movie experience (considering the size of my room) vs. the additional cost. But then again, the HTM3S looks damn nice and my wife cared a lot about the aesthetics.

Comment

• WI Rotel
                            • Jul 2006

Regarding HTM7s. All BW series have their own character. Mixing and matching series is commonly a source of displeasure. The center channel carries a hell of a lot musical information whether in music (Surround) or video. Mixing series leads to what maybe small but definitely audible dissonance. IMO the only good match is the 703.

Comment

• B&W 700 Guy
                              • Jun 2006

703 as a center channel

Originally posted by WI Rotel
                              Regarding HTM7s. All BW series have their own character. Mixing and matching series is commonly a source of displeasure. The center channel carries a hell of a lot musical information whether in music (Surround) or video. Mixing series leads to what maybe small but definitely audible dissonance. IMO the only good match is the 703.
                              WI,

How would you setup a 703 center channel?

Comment

• WI Rotel
                                • Jul 2006

Originally posted by B&W 700 Guy
                                WI,

Opps I thought you had htm7 already, and were wondering about mains (6 vs 7) my bad. If its not going to break the bank I think the sevens are significantly more accurate than the 6's. Better yet, I'm a big fan of my XT's they offer the "fidelity" of the 7's with better dispersion thus they are a better choice for video. Note that I'm a firm beliver that the XT requires a PV1, more than anything for video since their low frequency extension is only to 40HZ. I was reading a review on the XT4 that stated that the XT4 in a way makes the 7 series irrelevant! :T

Comment

• B&W 700 Guy
                                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by WI Rotel
                                  Opps I thought you had htm7 already, and were wondering about mains (6 vs 7) my bad. If its not going to break the bank I think the sevens are significantly more accurate than the 6's. Better yet, I'm a big fan of my XT's they offer the "fidelity" of the 7's with better dispersion thus they are a better choice for video. Note that I'm a firm beliver that the XT requires a PV1, more than anything for video since their low frequency extension is only to 40HZ. I was reading a review on the XT4 that stated that the XT4 in a way makes the 7 series irrelevant! :T
                                  Extruded Aluminum, Conduit Speaker, Cool!

Those are the ones that look like the Definitive Technologies, Mythos Speakers…
                                  I listen to the smaller version of that XT speaker with 703’S and 700 speakers at Ken Cranes. I will stay with the 700 series. My next speakers will be the 803’s. Don’t want to go backwards. :T

Comment

• csuzor
                                    • Nov 2004

Originally posted by B&W 700 Guy
                                    I tried my centre 703 as a center channel behind a projector screen. The reality was awesome, the voices came from the screen... but my projector is not great quality, and the screen not very transparent to high frequencies, so I gave up very quickly. Now I just listen to sacd music with 3x 703.

Comment

• B&W 700 Guy
                                      • Jun 2006

Originally posted by csuzor
                                      I tried my centre 703 as a center channel behind a projector screen. The reality was awesome, the voices came from the screen... but my projector is not great quality, and the screen not very transparent to high frequencies, so I gave up very quickly. Now I just listen to sacd music with 3x 703.
                                      Running a 703 Center Channel, in a practical Application is difficult to do for most of us.

Comment

• Charles
                                        • Jul 2006

First of this year I bought 703's and HTM7. I was very happy with the 703's but dissapointed with the HTM7. Shortly thereafter I sold the HTM7 and bought an HTM3S since I knew 803's were my ultimate goal. Big difference!!! The boxy sound was gone and the transitions were excellent. I'm sure it was the mismatch as everyone say's, but are the 703's and HTM3 not a mismatch as well? Since I have replaced the 703's with 803s's and I really didn't hear a big difference in HT, but obviously there was in music. If B&W made a matching center for the 703's I would still have them and not upgraded near as quickly. I'm sure the HTM7 sounds great with other speakers, but not the 703s's.

Comment

• jim777
                                          • Mar 2005

Originally posted by Charles
                                          If B&W made a matching center for the 703's I would still have them and not upgraded near as quickly. I'm sure the HTM7 sounds great with other speakers, but not the 703s's.
                                          Maybe that's why B&W doesn't make a better center for the 703's :twisted:

Comment

• Charles
                                            • Jul 2006

Thats funny, just what I was thinking!!!

Comment

• csuzor
                                              • Nov 2004

I was told the price gap between HTM7 and HTM3S was too tight for another center, especially with the HTM4S and the older HTM2 and HTM1 all in that price range too. I would pay 1500 (the same price I paid for my 703s) for a HTM7-FST-3way, but I can't justify 2500 for a HTM3S.

Comment

Working...
                                              Searching...Please wait.
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                              There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                              Search Result for "|||"