X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • csuzor
    • Nov 2004

upgraded to 704 from 602

I was able to find a dealer with a large B&W range, so I could compare the 6xx and 7xx series... and I fell i love with the 704. There is just so much more definition throughout the dynamic range than any of the 6xx series... I had no idea it would be that obvious! When switching from 603 or 604 to 704 the music seemed to bounce out from the top (better tweeter, not a restrained sound) and the bass was so much clearer.

The 705 was less accurate on vocals compared to the 704. I decided to buy only the 704 instead of the 705 + sub (it was the asw-600, which seemed great for the type of music I listen to, strong vocals with a melody).

I guess the higher up in the range I go, the more clarity and spaciousness I'll get, but my budget could not handle anything more... I'll have to wait for the sub, which is now a lot less of a priority (than it was when I had ordered the 602 in another shop, which I'll have to cancel).

I am wondering now, what is the best value surround speaker to match the 704 fronts? and is the HTM7 the best (or the only) choice for the front channel?

I am looking forward to burning in these 704s now!

Christophe
  • DrBoom
    • Dec 2003

Hi,
    congrats on the 704's, nicest sounding speaker in the 700 series imho.
    The good thing is, it's the best match for the HTM7 centerspeaker.
    The reason is that it uses the same mid/woofer driver, and it has the exact same crossoverpoint at 4 KHz.
    The 705 (which you'd think is even a better match for the HTM7 since it has the same amount of drivers) has its crossover at 3.7 KHz.
    So while it's a small difference, it's technically the best matched speaker for the HTM7
    Best value surround speaker, if budget and space allow it I'd say get another set of 704's but I'm guessing that's not an option ? :B
    If you value surround and multichannel audio a lot, I'd recommend to at least stay within the 700 series.
    If you only watch a movie occasionally, you might get away with a 601 or 600 as rear but I don't recommend it.
    As you already noticed, these series sound nothing alike, and integration is very important in an HT and multichannel setup.

Comment

• weijst
      • Jun 2004

Originally posted by csuzor
      I am wondering now, what is the best value surround speaker to match the 704 fronts? and is the HTM7 the best (or the only) choice for the front channel?
      I too switched from the 600 (S3) serie to the 700 serie. What a difference! Allthough the cabinet size decreased (from 602 to 705) the bass seems to be tighter, better defined. Not to mention the mid / high frequenties... :T

A month later, I traded in my LCR60 (S3) for an HTM7. Again, what a change in performance! (see 'Finding Nemo', a large variety of well articulated voices).

My opinion, go for the HTM7. It will perfectly match your 704s, like DrBoom said.

If you do want something considerable 'better' than the HTM7, go for the HTM1 (not the HTM2). Then again, that's a lot more expensive and it would dominate your 704s...

My current rear channel consists of two, lower priced BNS speakers (comparable with the 601 in size). Allthough they are acceptable for HT, they do form the weak link with SACD / DVD-A. (I myself am still trying to decide wether to opt for another pair of 705s for surround duties or get a pair of 704 / 703s and send my current 705s to the back).

Good luck and keep us informed..!
      Last edited by weijst; 11 November 2004, 07:42 Thursday.
      Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• csuzor
        • Nov 2004

The 704s sound great in my living room (5x6m, high ceiling, hard tiles)
        After several hours listening, I am happy I spent 3x more for the 704s (than the 602s I had ordered). They seem like a great step towards a quality system (that will take time to build because of my savings!)

I have placed my 12y old KEF C35 on stands as surrounds, they are warm enough to complement music nicely in dolbyprologic mode. Surround stereo mode puts too much power into the surrounds, creating confusion. Not sure about the other modes, still experimenting...

The hifi shop tried hard to convince me that SACD is dead (they sell all the high-end B&W gear).
        My question is, do the surround channels in DVA / SACD just complement the front channels (like dolbyprologic), or are they as important as the front channels? The answer to this makes a big difference in the selection of the surrounds (it may make the 705 the only suitable choice)

My next investment will be the htm7 (thanks for all the advice) and a sub (the asw600 seems enough for my needs, I just need a little more bass for music and low-qual bass for movies) and a DVA/SACD player (denon2200 or similar), not necessarily in that order...

Thanks again for the advice, this forum is full of information!

Christophe

Comment

• sikoniko
          Super Senior Member
          • Aug 2003

congrats on your upgrade!

sacd and dvd-a support 5.1 different independent channels just like DD and DTS so imagine your music in surround sound.
          I'm just sittin here watchin the wheels go round and round...

Comment

• hired goon
            • Aug 2004

G'day,

Originally posted by csuzor
            My question is, do the surround channels in DVA / SACD just complement the front channels (like dolbyprologic), or are they as important as the front channels? The answer to this makes a big difference in the selection of the surrounds (it may make the 705 the only suitable choice)
            For best SACD/DVD-A reproduction, all speakers should be the same. Unlike movies were most of the dialogue is in the centre channel, and the rears get used occasionally, SACD/DVD-A generally have sound emanating from any (or all) of the speakers. For this reason, the speakers should be tonally matched and have the same frequency response, and the best way to achieve this to use the same speakers powered by the same amps.

For example, the engineer may mix the vocals in the centre channel, the guitar in the rears, and the bass & drums in the fronts (odd, I know, but I've heard this before). You don't want large front sound and a small tinny rear sound in this instance. But this is the effect you may get if using different speaker types.

For this reason, I've never been interested in surround sound music. However, I'd seriously consider getting the 705 for your rears, to match the 704.

-- Geoff

Comment

• Major
              • Nov 2004

just curious, I was planning on getting the 703's as fronts and the 705's as the surrounds for HT, plus using the system for music. Is there a reason that you chose the 704's over the 705's?

Comment

• csuzor
                • Nov 2004

The choice for the 704 instead of 703 was mostly value for money... I still have so much to buy, the 703 would have been difficult to justify once I got home!
                I also understand that the htm7 is a better match to the 704 than the 703, and it is recommended above by DrBoom...
                Christophe

Comment

• BlazeMaster
                  • May 2004

The 704s, HTM7 and 705 all have same driver size.

Comment

• bcgator
                    • Nov 2004

Hi csuzor,

Just for future FYI, I'm running the ASW600 with 704's as mains and am very happy with that sub. The 704 doesn't need much help with bass, so I usually set the crossover at 40hz when listening to rock or pop music. With movies, I use 60hz or 80hz.

You'll enjoy the 704 speakers as well, just give them time to break in. Just keep in mind that they do better with certain kinds of music - I love them more with guitar, female vocals, and jazz than I do with very hard rock. I don't think they're the best speakers for hard rock, though other people may feel differently.

I also have the HTM7, and together the 704/HTM7 setup is outstanding. Enjoy!

Eric
                    bcgator

Comment

Working...
                    Searching...Please wait.
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                    An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                    There are no results that meet this criteria.
                    Search Result for "|||"