X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jleecov
    • Jul 2006

601 S3 and Receiver/Amp recommendations

I just got the 601 S3. They are great. My receiver is a Sony 940DB rated 120wx5 (It's about 5 years old). I seen a lot of people talk about using Rotels to power their speakers. My receiver has preouts. What amp should I get to get the most out of the speakers? I'm new and need help.
  • gieseman
    • Jun 2006

I think rotel amps are a good fit with the 601 s3 but I think you need to think where you want to go with your set up. You know down the road maybe go with a pre/pro. Or just a receiver if you like the sound of your sony then stick with it until you know what way you want to go. If you want an amp maybe go with the rbm 1070 and you could always go with the rsx-1057 later for 7.1 I think it is all what you think sounds good to you.

Comment

• jleecov
      • Jul 2006

I want to keep the receiver

I want to keep the Sony for now, so I was looking at getting another amp to power the speaker. I will eventually go to 5.1. I will primarily use the speakers for HT.

Would it be better to go the component route with Rotel or just get a Yamaha 2600?

I want something that I flexible that I can use for a long time.

I was thinking about getting a used rmb-1066. Would I be able to used this with my current set up? Would i notice a huge improvement?
      Last edited by jleecov; 20 July 2006, 07:31 Thursday.

Comment

• Clepto
        • Feb 2006

The yammy is a decent performer, especially if driving only 2 pairs of speakers, plus you'll get HDMI 1.1, and some decent DSP modes. However, a Rotel receiver would sound better for stereo listening IMO.

Purely for HT, going cheaper with a yammy might be better, you could add an amp lik a 1077 for HT down the road, and eventually upgrade to a pre/pro that is a bit higher end...

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

Well if you go the seperates route, then you can upgrade as needed (or as you see fit). If you get the yamaha, it's going to have about the same amount of power you have now, but will have lots of new features over your Sony...

Ideally, getting rotel pre/pro & amp would be your best. The Yamaha is good and you could still add an amp later on. Just depends on how much you have and can afford.

The RMB-1066 is definitely nice, not a slouch by any means.
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• jleecov
            • Jul 2006

Got a RMB-1066 from Ebay

I just bought the 1066 from Ebay. What is the best way to use it? Should I use it in bridge mode with the front three speakers?

Thanks for all the help.

Comment

• mike c
              • Dec 2005

yes, bridge the 1066 for the front 3 speakers and use your receiver to power the rears.

Comment

Working...
              Searching...Please wait.
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
              An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
              There are no results that meet this criteria.
              Search Result for "|||"