X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Briz vegas
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2005

804s - amazing soundstage and imaging

I just started a thread in the audio hideout section on DVD videos, however I also wanted to share my experience with B&W owners. I am a relatively new owner of a pair of 804s speakers and recently they have been shining particularly brightly, I just luv 'em.

I have been watching/listening to Martin Scorsese's Blues Collection, particularly "Red White and Blues' recorded at Abbey Road Studios. Jon Cleary's piano improvisation and some of the other extras sound particularly amazing. The extras were recorded in stereo (film is in 5.1) but the piano sounds like it is in the room to the left of the left speaker and forward intothe room. Amazing 2 channel sound staging. I had to get up to make sure my rear speakers were not working. Other tracks also have very convincing depth behind the speakers. I have heard some depth and width from my old 705 and more recently from the 804s but never as convincing as this particularly recording.

Many people say that the bigger 800s have amazing width and depth to the sound, I can confirm that the 804s are also very capable in that regard. Excellent speakers B&W !!!!!
    Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
    Siamese :evil: :twisted:
  • Kal Rubinson
    Super Senior Member
    • Mar 2006

Agreed. I use them as surrounds with 802Ds and they are competitive in many ways. It would be nice if there was a "D" option for them as, I think, their size/configuration makes them more suitable for most rooms than the 803D/S except in the bass (which ain't too shabby).

Kal
    Kal Rubinson

Comment

• Briz vegas
      Super Senior Member
      • Mar 2005

B&W should consider doing special orders. I would imagine that a 804D would sell for about the price of an 803S. I was more than happy with the tweeters when I auditioned the 804s on Electrocompaniet/Meridian gear and a D version would have been completely out of my price range. I can see how they would suit owners of the 803D and up for surrounds.
      Mac 8gb SSD Audirvana ->Weiss INT202 firewire interface ->Naim DAC & XPS2 DR->Conrad Johnson CT5 & LP70S-> Vivid B1s. Nordost Valhalla cables & resonance management. (Still waiting for Paul Hynes PS:M)
      Siamese :evil: :twisted:

Comment

• PavelL
        • Sep 2005

Some folks :W say it's not diamond, but the 1-st order crossover used on tweeters /and tweets only in the new 800 lineup/ that was the greatest move for B&W... Does anyone know why there is no single model available both in S and D /where ONLY tweeters are different... with similar quality components in the crossover/? 803D and 803S? But 803D also has additional LF driver...

Comment

Working...
        Searching...Please wait.
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
        There are no results that meet this criteria.
        Search Result for "|||"