X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tboooe
    • Jun 2005

holographic soundstage with 804S

Hi, I was wondering if any members have been able to create a holograpic, 3 dimensional soundstage with their 804S. I have been fiddling around with positioning and cabling trying to achieve this with mediocre results. I can create a very nice and wide soundstage but the center image is very flat and 1 dimensional. I dont get the sensation of depth or layering. Vocals, drums, guitars are all within the same flat plane which appears to start about 1 ft behind the front plane of the speakers. I am in the process of trying out some new cabling and the best I can do is get a soundstage that is only slightly 3 dimensional.

So I have to ask if getting a true holographic soundstage is even possible with the 804S? Am I asking too much? Is this even possible?

By the way, I am using a Cary 303/300 cdp and Paraound Halo A21 amp.

Thanks in advance.
  • weijst
    • Jun 2004

I remember being very impressed with size of the center image that was created by my two N804's (roughly equalled the size of the entire wall that was in between the two speakers), compared to for instance the size of the image that was created using two 705's. I didn't continue calibrating my system up to the point were this image became 3 dimensional. Now is it me, or are you simply asking too much of your 804s's...?
    Marantz SR7005, UD5007; B&W SCMS, Nautilus SCM1; Velodyne SPL-1200R

Comment

• Angioguy
      • Nov 2005

3D Soundstage

I just purchased a pair of 803S speakers with Nordost Super Flatline MKII cables and have them driven by an Arcam AVR-300 for the moment-- I'm saving up for the McIntosh MC-252-- which will ultimately be used for these.

With very little tweaking thus far, I have been able to achieve a fairly good soundstage: Voices appear from center stage and there is actually some depth to the music. With a little work, hopefully these speakers will deliver!

Good luck!
      B&W 802D, HTMS-4; Velodyne DD-12, Arcam AVR-300, McIntosh MC-402, Musical Fidelity KW-SACD, Pioneer Elite

"... these go to eleven."

Comment

• Angioguy
        • Nov 2005

3D Soundstage

see above
        B&W 802D, HTMS-4; Velodyne DD-12, Arcam AVR-300, McIntosh MC-402, Musical Fidelity KW-SACD, Pioneer Elite

"... these go to eleven."

Comment

• GregLett
          • May 2005

Tbooe,

Sounds like your speakers may be too far apart, reason for the
          center image to collapse. Also the toe in angle, I get a good
          3D image with the focal point just behind my seating area.

Hope that helps
          Greg

Comment

• tboooe
            • Jun 2005

greglett:

thanks for the response. my speakers are only 5 ft apart and i sit a little over 5 ft away. i use very little toe in. the speakers are also about 3 ft away from the back wall. do you see anything wrong with this setup?

Comment

• GregLett
              • May 2005

humm. since you are so close, I would suggest trying a little more toe in. Basically have the sound of the two speakers meet just behind where you sit, the top of the triangle if you will. That should help lock things abit.
              Greg

Comment

• dyazdani
                Moderator Emeritus
                • Oct 2005

The room itself (in addition to speaker / listener position) is quite important for imaging. I've found it hard to optimize both the stage width and the center imaging in an untreated room.

I would try the toe in first as the other post suggested. I've always found it easiest to stand behind the speaker and use the tweeter pod as a "sight" to aim the speakers. Try aiming each pod so it points about 8-12 inches to the respective side of your head. This will make them cross slightly behind you like Greg said.
                Danish

Comment

• Blazar
                  • Feb 2004

The room MUST be treated as most untreated rooms are to blame for lack of imaging effects.

Echoed sounds (early reflections) taint the direct radiated sound so much that it makes the sound muddy and imaging becomes poor.
                  Blazar!
                  (HTPC/Panasonic SA-XR55/B&W 802D/HTM-1/SCMS)

Comment

• ChrissB
                    • Jul 2005

Tbooe,
                    is there any big furniture between the 2 speakers? If yes, remove it. I have the same speakers, no good amp and cd (so far cause i'm doing some research 2 get new ones) and still I have a great 3d soundstage. Room treatment helps indeed but mind not to make your room acoustically "dead". A proper room treatment means that not all reflections are removed!

Comment

• tboooe
                      • Jun 2005

ChrissB:
                      thanks for the response. between my speakers is the audio rack. i have it set back about 1 ft from the front plane of the speakers.

can you describe your 3d soundstage, particularly what you hear in the center? do you get a layered sound with vocals coming from one depth and drums, etc coming from another?

Comment

• ChrissB
                        • Jul 2005

tboooe:
                        Audio rack is not a problem you dont have to remove/move it, I was reffering to large furniture like large bookcases or chimneys etc....
                        As for the soundstage, it is exactly like you said: layered. To give you an example In good recordings (especially without many instruments, it's always easier to notice it) I can hear the voice at the front and a guitar, and at the back other instruments like bass piano etc... In other recordings (where i suppose the did phase tricks) i can even hear some effects/or voices coming from the side! (for instance this happens on Roger Waters - In the Flesh cd on Perfect Sense Part I I can here a voice saing "Dave" coming from the left). But mind you! don't take it literally when ppl say "I heard it coming 2 meters from this direction" etc... they are talking about impressions not really measurable things!
                        Another thing that matters is that your equipment is "warmed up". When I turn them on the don't sound at their best after 1 hour they are there! And oh! mood is of great importance 2! we are not allways in our best to "get into music" so don't get anxiuous about it! I know that for sometime I was always trying to notice things and missed the point, when I stopped it then I did found what was looking about.

P.S. Roger Waters - In the Flesh cd aint a really good recording. Sorry for any mistakes I might have done cause English aint my mothers lang!

Comment

• tboooe
                          • Jun 2005

ChrissB:

i definitely do not get the layered soundstage you are describing. i cant understand why though. i know i have good components. as other members have pointed out, it must by my room.

one question: how far away from the back wall are your speakers? mine are about 3 ft. is this enough or do i need more spacing in order to get the layered soundstage?

Comment

• ChrissB
                            • Jul 2005

Tboooe:
                            I dont know if 3 feet is optimum but its more than I have! mine is much closer (about half) to the back walls. On layered soundstage most evident is when there are a few instruments (and piano), then usually piano sounds clearly at the back. I'm going to look @ my cd collection for songs etc that might be of help 4 you and I'll send you a list. It will be after this weekend tho so to try and find as many as possible. Hope this will help.

Comment

• grit
                              • Jan 2005

Tboooe, there's a possibility your room is just too small for that kind of detail. Sound travels through the air (in a vacuum, there's no sound). With less room, it's harder to create an immersive environment. Keep playing with the positioning of the speakers.

Comment

• Eliav
                                • Jul 2005

Originally posted by tboooe
                                ChrissB:

i definitely do not get the layered soundstage you are describing. i cant understand why though. i know i have good components. as other members have pointed out, it must by my room.

one question: how far away from the back wall are your speakers? mine are about 3 ft. is this enough or do i need more spacing in order to get the layered soundstage?
                                Hi
                                There is a formula that tells you exactly what distance from the side and rear walls you should place your speakers for optimized acoustics. it is a fraction of your room length and width. I will send it to you once I am back home today. very easy to follow.
                                Eliav
                                :T Socrat

Comment

• dyazdani
                                  Moderator Emeritus
                                  • Oct 2005

Here is the formula Eliav is talking about:

The distance from center of speaker to side wall:

Room Width times 0.276

The distance from the front of speaker to rear wall:

Room Width times 0.447

The only problem with the formula is that depending on your room's relative length and width, it sometimes results in the speakers being way out into the room. This might cause some WAF problems.
                                  Danish

Comment

• grit
                                    • Jan 2005

Originally posted by dyazdani
                                    Here is the formula Eliav is talking about:

The distance from center of speaker to side wall:

Room Width times 0.276

The distance from the front of speaker to rear wall:

Room Width times 0.447

The only problem with the formula is that depending on your room's relative length and width, it sometimes results in the speakers being way out into the room. This might cause some WAF problems.
                                    That doesn't seem to make sense... in a 20' wide room, I should put the speakers 8.94' from the real wall (20*.447 = 8.94)?

Comment

• Stoney
                                      • Dec 2004

Here is the link to those formulas. I think the rear wall is refering to the wall behind the speaker.

Cardas produces a variety of products specifically for turntables, including our Myrtle Heart Cartridge, DIN plugs, cartridge clips, tonearm wire, and headshell leads. And of course our famous Frequency Sweep & Burn-in LP.

Edit: Lex, I just realised this link is to a competitor; feel free to delete it if necessary. Mike.
                                      Emotiva UPA-700 Amp
                                      Emotiva UMC 200 pre/pro
                                      B&W DM605 S2 Mains
                                      DM602 S2 Surrounds
                                      DM601 S2 Rear Surrounds
                                      CC6 S2 Center.
                                      ASW 1000 Sub

Comment

• RobP
                                        Ultra Senior Member
                                        • Nov 2004

Tboooe, here is another calculator that lets you input the brand and model of speakers that you have to help figure out the optimal placement.

But, above everything room treatment is a must, in my setup my speakers are 42" from the back wall and 26" from the side wall, without my panels in place the soundstage was only about a foot beyond each speaker and the stage was not deep, with my treatment in place the width is almost infinite (depends on the recording) and the depth is unbelievable. I get all of this WITH a huge console sitting in between them, it sets back about the depth of the 803 cabinets.

Also, regarding toe in, it really depends on how your room is, but I used a laser and toed my speakers in so that the angles meet about six feet behind my head at my primary spot. I think I have about a 7deg toe in.
                                        Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• dyazdani
                                          Moderator Emeritus
                                          • Oct 2005

Originally posted by grit
                                          That doesn't seem to make sense... in a 20' wide room, I should put the speakers 8.94' from the real wall (20*.447 = 8.94)?
                                          Yep. That's why I said what I did about the relative length and width of the room!

I own the full CARA program as well. It seems to work pretty well, but you always have to verify with testing. I ran it on Eliav's room a while back and it optimized to the same result as the formula. This is not always the case though.
                                          Danish

Comment

• RobP
                                            Ultra Senior Member
                                            • Nov 2004

OOOH Danish you have the whole program???? :twisted: So what are you doing this weekend? :B
                                            Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• dyazdani
                                              Moderator Emeritus
                                              • Oct 2005

Originally posted by Soundgravy
                                              OOOH Danish you have the whole program???? :twisted: So what are you doing this weekend? :B
                                              Yeah, it's only like $75 for the version 2.1. It's a bit tricky to use, but I've stumbled my way around a couple of rooms. My room is a bit difficult because it is oddly shaped and has a sloped ceiling.

I don't have too many plans this weekend if you're up for an 8 hour drive! Seriously though, if you send me a room picture and some dimensions, I can work on it.
                                              Danish

Comment

• RobP
                                                Ultra Senior Member
                                                • Nov 2004

Ill have to dig in my stuff, the last program that I had was called "Room Duck" put out by JBL proffesional. It works pretty much the same but its more for large Cinemas. About a year ago I came across my LinearX PCRTA, it had a 4 mic multiplexer for room averaging. Like a big dummy I sold it, I didnt think that I would need it anymore, boy what was I thinking??
                                                Robert P. 8)

AKA "Soundgravy"

Comment

• JKalman
                                                  • Nov 2005

Originally posted by tboooe
                                                  Hi, I was wondering if any members have been able to create a holograpic, 3 dimensional soundstage with their 804S. I have been fiddling around with positioning and cabling trying to achieve this with mediocre results. I can create a very nice and wide soundstage but the center image is very flat and 1 dimensional. I dont get the sensation of depth or layering. Vocals, drums, guitars are all within the same flat plane which appears to start about 1 ft behind the front plane of the speakers. I am in the process of trying out some new cabling and the best I can do is get a soundstage that is only slightly 3 dimensional.

So I have to ask if getting a true holographic soundstage is even possible with the 804S? Am I asking too much? Is this even possible?

By the way, I am using a Cary 303/300 cdp and Paraound Halo A21 amp.

Thanks in advance.

You should have a 3 dimensional image now. Are you place the speakers far enough away from the walls and your TV, etc. Usually people have problems with image depth when they have objects in the middle or next to their speakers (especially if they have something in the middle, between the two speakers).

Comment

Working...
                                                  Searching...Please wait.
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                                                  An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                                                  There are no results that meet this criteria.
                                                  Search Result for "|||"