X
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mike c
    • Dec 2005

604 amp diminishing return

let's say you had the B&W 604 s3 ... (b&w recommended wattage 200w)

would the Rotel RB1080 be more than enough?

or would the Rotel RB1090 improve SQ?
  • miner
    • Mar 2005

The 1080 would be fine, 1090 better (if you can find one new). A used 1080 canbe had for $650; a used 1090 for $1400.

Comment

• mike c
      • Dec 2005

is there a considerable improvement of SQ? (for the semi-entry level b&w)

Comment

• htsteve
        Super Senior Member
        • Sep 2004

1080 is a fine choice

I had a 1080 running some N804's until recently (I now have the 1077). The 1080 did an excellent job of driving the 804's, which are power hungry. I would believe a 1080 would drive 604's quite easily. Also, a 1080 will allow you to upgrade speakers later and not have to worry about driving them.
        A 1090 on 604's would be killer, but I think that might be a bit of overkill. I'm not sure there would be that much of an improvement in sound quality on a 604 with a 1090 over a 1080. Should play louder on a 1090, but both will play loud and clean. IMO, a 1090 would be about buying for the future as well as for today.

Hope this helps.

Comment

• PewterTA
          • Nov 2004

The 1090 will be an improvement, it's a beast, pure and simple. The 604s will benefit from it, however you won't get the most out of the amp do to the limitations of the 604s...

The 1080 will push the 604s perfectly fine and is all you really would ever need for it. If you plan to ever upgrade your speakers, the 1090 would last you longer on more power hungry models...

So IF you can find one, I'd say buy a 1090, you won't regret it. If you're worried about price, buy the 1080 and be completely happy and confident in it! Plus anyways, there's better amps out there than the 1090, you just have to know when you want to stop.

I almost grabbed a 1090, then I heard the classe CA-M400 and fell in love with the sound. SO I'm happy I didn't put the extra out for the 1090.
          Digital Audio makes me Happy.
          -Dan

Comment

• Joey_V
            • Jul 2005

1090 is an improvement hands down. Doesnt matter what speaker you have, you will hear an improvement. The only thing you have to worry about is whether your speakers are worth spending an additional $2000 retail for sound improvement.
            Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
            Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
            System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• B&W 700 Guy
              • Jun 2006

Question, is your system a 2 channel system or is it a HT system?

Comment

• mike c
                • Dec 2005

thanks guys

b&w700guy, 2 channel.

Comment

• B&W 700 Guy
                  • Jun 2006

Originally posted by mike c
                  thanks guys

b&w700guy, 2 channel.
                  I would spend the extra $500.00usd for the 1090. Later on you can upgrade your speakers if you like. That amp will run just about any speaker.

If you were going HT in the future, I would buy the 1080. You could then buy a 5 channel amp and use the 1080 for the backs.

Just my 2 cents.

Comment

• mike c
                    • Dec 2005

I figure I won't be upgrading the speakers in the near future ...

let me refine the question ...
                    let's say I was using the 1080 for the 604s. if I switch it with the 1090 ... would I hear a difference?

Comment

• Joey_V
                      • Jul 2005

Originally posted by mike c
                      I figure I won't be upgrading the speakers in the near future ...

let me refine the question ...
                      let's say I was using the 1080 for the 604s. if I switch it with the 1090 ... would I hear a difference?
                      Yes.
                      Analog: VPI Scoutmaster w/ Steel Delrin clamp + Dynavector 20XH cart
                      Digital: SB3 + PS Audio Digital Link III DAC
                      System: Cary Audio SLP-98P Tube Preamplifier w/ Sylvanias -> Plinius SA102 Class A amplifier -> Martin Logan SUMMITS/Strata Minis -> 8O (me)

Comment

• WI Rotel
                        • Jul 2006

Do not try to match an amplifiers rated power with the recommended speaker power. They are simply 2 measurements that don't jive together. For a true test I recommend a good testing session at the store and make sure that the dealer exchanges the components no questions asked if you are not satisfied with the results when you get home. Always buy the most powerful amplifier you can afford (from a reputable brand of course) also make sure that the rated power is from 20Hz-20KHz at the rated distortion this is still an imperfect measurement of how well an amplifier will drive a particular speaker resistive load but it usualy all your going to get on a spec.
                        Back to your specific question, the 1080 should drive any BW 6 series more than satisfactorily due to its great (for its rms power) current reserves. You can never have enough power usually what leads to speaker damage is lack of power leading to amplifier clipping distortion which is the most common cause of fried transducers. happy Rotelling :T

Comment

Working...
                        Searching...Please wait.
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because you have logged in since the previous page was loaded.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An unexpected error was returned: 'Your submission could not be processed because the token has expired.

Please push the back button and reload the previous window.'
                        An internal error has occurred and the module cannot be displayed.
                        There are no results that meet this criteria.
                        Search Result for "|||"